X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • halac
    • Mar 2003

Clearances in Shop Environment

After several years and two moves I'm trying to get my home machine shop set back up.

My question is this: How much clearance should I have on the headstock end of my 15x 40 lathe?

And the same for a 9x42, J-head Bridgeport?

Thanks in advance for you all's advice.
    No matter where you go, there you are!

Hal C.
  • Paul Alciatore
    • May 2002

On the lathe I would try for 8 to 10+ feet as those are common lengths for rod stock and you need full clearance to insert one in the spindle bore.

I find that placing the lathes on an angle often helps to provide more space off both ends for occasional, long projects.

Likewise for a mill table, the ends should point out into an isle so long stock can be positioned there. Again, 8 feet or so from the quill would be my preference. But stock is loaded from the front so no extra is needed.
    Paul A.
    s
    Golden Triangle, SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
    You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

• halac
      • Mar 2003

Thanks Paul for the advice. I moved the lathe today to it's new spot in the shop today. Finally got it off the planks it was mounted on to move it from my previous residence in Florida to up here in Tennessee. Next is to move the Bridgeport in it's new place.

Now to get the power wiring done.
      No matter where you go, there you are!

Hal C.

Comment

• chipmaker4130
        • Oct 2006

It took a little thinkin', but I tried to position my lathe, mill and drill press such that I could use the adjacent machine's table as a support platform. At the far end of that line-up is a staircase with open treads I occasionally use too.
        Southwest Utah

Comment

• justanengineer
          • Nov 2010

You should have however much room youre comfortable with. Even when I did repair work on the farm I rarely needed more than a foot or two of room around a machine and on those occasions angling a machine slightly or moving something out of the way isnt a big deal, <2 mins usually. Mine isnt a production shop so youd never catch me putting a full stick through the lathe headstock. On the Bport I leave just enough room to comfortably stand at the end of the table with it cranked to the extremes.
          "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Working...
          X