PDA

View Full Version : Source for replacement parts on Birmingham Lathe

RichJ
12-06-2014, 06:07 PM
Hello. I have a Birmingham YCL-1340GH lathe. Was transporting it across the country and straps broke. Lathe bounced around a bit and caused some damage. Need to find a source for replacement parts. Would prefer exact replacement parts if possible. Thanks

MTNGUN
12-06-2014, 09:29 PM
Is the Birmingham 13x40 more or less the same as the Grizzly 13x40?

Bouncing around in a vehicle does not sound good. :(

radkins
12-07-2014, 06:14 AM
Is the Birmingham 13x40 more or less the same as the Grizzly 13x40?

Bouncing around in a vehicle does not sound good. :(

No it's somewhat different than the Griz version, which has several differences that appear to be unique to that particular company, but except for the color it seems to be identical to the Harbor Freight and Enco (among a few others) models. For sure the YCL1440 is the same as those two distributors' models except for the color and since the 13x40 version looks to be also it's quite likely it too is the same machine except for name/color.

Due to an over-sight (clumsy inattention actually :mad:) I broke the wedge in the cross slide gib (or is that "wedge" called the "gib"????) on my HF 14x40 and the one from my buddy's identical Enco lathe fit perfectly, just as I thought it would since EVERYTHING about them is identical! The HF lathe is no longer sold and parts have been discontinued for it from them but if you have the 13x40 model I am thinking then Enco may very well be a source of parts if Birmingham is no help.

Can't parts be obtained from Birmingham?????:confused:

:EDIT: Well I guess I jumped the gun and "ASSUMED" too much again, I just checked that model (which I should have done first) and it's not the one I was thinking of so nothing I said would be of any help in this case.

loose nut
12-07-2014, 09:55 AM
Birmingham is just a brand name for generic Chinese clone lathes. Yours is probably identical to mine in most respects but there will be some differences between them and all the others. Getting parts is all but impossible, there isn't any or very little support for these machines. I purchased mine from Wholesale Tool but on the inside of the last page was written "Birmingham YCL-1340GH". It may have been destined to go to Birmingham but got rerouted to WT.

To bad it got dropped, these are surprisingly decent lathes.

tlfamm
12-07-2014, 11:59 AM
Matt at Precision Matthews sells Birmingham lathes (among others) and his web pages do reference a Birmingham YCL-1340GH lathe. He has generally been friendly & helpful to users of his product lines, even if the individual didn't purchase the machine from him.

http://machinetoolonline.com/Newlathes12to14.html

motorworks
12-07-2014, 02:36 PM
look here : http://www.cptools.com/

RichJ
12-08-2014, 10:07 PM
Thanks guys, i'll contact them and see if they can help.