PDA

View Full Version : How to polish Cast Iron

Tundra Twin Track
12-08-2014, 11:11 PM
Was wanting to know how to polish cast iron,on table of my vertical bandsaw.I have seen milling tables and saw tables that have a near mirror finish!

macona
12-08-2014, 11:40 PM
It will polish like just about any other metal. Use finer and finer grits till you get the finish you like.

Rich Carlstedt
12-08-2014, 11:45 PM
Some of it depends on the grade of Cast Iron.
Meehanite gives a great smooth dense surface for a good polish.
Regular Grey Iron has porous surfaces that reduce surface finishes.

Start with a sanding block using 400 grit Wet/Dry Paper , and work your way to 600, then 1000 and maybe 2000
With such a large area, you may wish to use a power sander, but be aware that you must move to all areas
to prevent a uneven surface,
If after using 400, it still seems dull (porous)
drop to 280 or 320 and go from there.
If you see deep grooves , it means you are not course enough or jumped to the finer grade before
you had the surface smooth
When you have the finish , use a wax for protection.

Make sure you lube the abrasive with mineral spirits instead of water so you don't rust the table

Rich

big job
12-09-2014, 03:46 AM
And now the last step is a buffing wheel on a 4 inch angle grinder using the common grey red and white rouge sticks < <that spelled right?
You can get it like a mirror this way.

Richard P Wilson
12-09-2014, 04:28 AM
Having got the table to a mirror finish are you then going to risk scratching it by bolting things to and (shock, horror) actually using it?

boslab
12-09-2014, 06:41 AM
I tend to wet polish cast, ie oil and emery paper, works ok
Wax polish after stops the rust, for a while
Mark

Stepside
12-09-2014, 09:47 AM
The surface of my Jet 14 inch band saw was quite decent. After a winter in an unheated shop it was a little rough. I used my 1/4 sheet sander with the coursest paper I had. The sandpaper was to apply traction to a square of Scotchbrite abrasive. Working my way through several grits of Skotchbrite made the table better than new. The final polish was Johnsons paste wax buffed out with an old towel. It worked so well I did the top of my table saw as well.

boslab
12-09-2014, 09:55 AM
Like it, new toy to polish!
Mark

Tundra Twin Track
12-09-2014, 11:20 AM
Thanks for all info ,I will get after it to make it shine got all rust off with wire wheel.The table is for a 1950 Doall ML Vertical Bandsaw that I am refurbishing,I should have it back from powder coaters this week.