PDA

View Full Version : OT: search engines, was tired of goo

RussZHC
12-10-2014, 07:41 AM
got tired of the junk google keep doing/having done to it, guess breaking point was changing a few small details causing me to change routines that I had used since day one...so went looking for other search engines.

am now trying "duckduckgo", more because I recalled it from earlier uses than anything else

have not spent a lot of time with it yet but search results are interesting and will certainly take some getting used to since, from what I have seen so far, the results are far far less commercial in nature...

a search for "horizontal milling machine cutters" in duckduckgo, gets about 120 results all similar but all more on the information side of what those are, how they can be used with of course some of those results discussing horizontal milling machines and later on cutters.
There were no results that I could see that were just pages from or links to companies selling horizontal milling machine cutters.

An identical search in google gets 725000 results, the first of which is photos of said cutters, then an EBay result (not surprising) and while are some similar results there are more than a few sales mixed in, more than a few hits that deal with horizontal milling centers (granted that could be a search term thing I need to get used to, still not what I was looking for). different results if I use Canadian google or google dot com (mostly an order of results thing but not sure why), round about page 4 at 25x per page, the results begin, in my opinion, to skew further from the actual term.
Using the search terms in quotes in google gets about 1700 results, all from what I could see all commercial including many sites that only link back to sales of those items on EBay (those are the sites I have found more than a little annoying).

Much of the difference could be the search terms, how they are entered sort of thing and I am not sure if I will continue to use duckduckgo, however it is a start.

boslab
12-10-2014, 08:22 AM
I understand what you mean, I picked my ipad up this morning to go on eBay, surprise surprise 3 weeks to Christmas they roll out a new front end, one of the poorest pieces of crap I have ever seen, pandering to unintelligible pop up ads for decorations and toys, perfumes and women's clothes, gumtree is a free ad type thing over here and to be honest it's interface is bloody awful, and still beats eBay.
I wish they wouldn't do stuff like that
Mark

ironmonger
12-10-2014, 08:55 AM
I have used DDG for the last couple of years as my primary search engine, followed by bing, yahoo and ebay with google near the bottom of the list. I use google when DDG returns too few result... don't know if that's important... as you say the first google results are mostly ads. I have found that google does not return fair results on firearms related sales.

... and none of them have found a Jarno 12 X 3MT sleeve I'm looking for as yet :>)

To be fair, all the search engines need revenue form ads, but DDG is the least offensive for the moment.

paul

PStechPaul
12-10-2014, 04:15 PM
I have used www.dogpile.com for a long time. It uses results from a variety of other engines, including Google. I don't know if it's better or worse, but I like it.

Billy Hill
12-10-2014, 07:54 PM
Startpage.com is another good one. It's very "privacy" based. They even have an in-line proxy that you can visit the link from right in the search results.

To hell with the google. I'm tired of it. They duped me into upgrading my Firefox browser and now they won't load the regular version of gmail if you have Add Block Plus active. Not just disabled on gmail/google, you have to have it DEACTIVATED. I've been using the html version since.

I've been weening myself off them for a while, I'm accelerating that effort now with email (they've been my primary email since they started the gmail beta program (invite only) many many years ago).

I can't even use FF any more; it loads, then hangs for up to 5 seconds several times a minute. It. Never. Stops. Anyone else on the newest version (34) having that issue?

PStechPaul
12-10-2014, 08:53 PM
I am using 34.05, and occasionally it will hang up and I must close it and reopen and restore the session, which it does very quickly. I figure it might be an issue with Win8.

loose nut
12-11-2014, 11:55 AM
Startpage.com is another good one. It's very "privacy" based. They even have an in-line proxy that you can visit the link from right in the search results.

If you read the fine print Duck Duck Go has about the same privacy level as Startpage including a proxy link. Down side of these is that the results just are not as good, even for the ones that use Google as a base. I entered a test search into Bing and also DDG and Startpage, the results where not good for the last two, although DDG was a lot better then Startpage. The protection must !@#$%^ it up some how.

polaraligned
12-11-2014, 01:27 PM
I hate Google as a company, but their search engine is far better than any other one out there if you want results.

vpt
12-11-2014, 05:59 PM
Oddly I noticed just the other day foxfire has changed search engines from google to yahoo.

RichR
12-11-2014, 09:10 PM
Oddly I noticed just the other day foxfire has changed search engines from google to yahoo.

Yahoo recently signed a deal with Mozilla to become the default search engine for Firefox replacing Google.

Lew Hartswick
12-12-2014, 09:06 AM
What is the URL for this DDG search engine? :-) Without using the infamous Google to find it. :-)
...lew...

michigan doug
12-12-2014, 09:17 AM
https://duckduckgo.com/

easy peasy

doug

michigan doug
12-12-2014, 09:32 AM
Most if not all search engines respect the boolean operators. That's fancy for saying

AND
OR
NOT
NOR

For example, if you're interesting in british motorcycles

If you search for british AND motorcycles, the search engine will only give you results that include both words.

If you use quotes "british motorcycles" now the results have to include that exact phrase, and in that order.

Let's say you're interested in brit bikes, but hate triumph.

use a search string like so:

(british and motorcycles) NOT triumph

Now the search has to include both british and motorcycle, but NOTHING with triumph.

A "+" in front of a word function like an "AND" so the word must be included

A "-" in front of a word means don't return anything with that bad unwanted word

If I'm looking for a needle in a haystack, I will do the general search and then keep adding the modifiers I don't want (add a "-") and shrink the search results from 2.8 million down to a few thousand, most of which are relevant.

if you don't want sales crap that paid to be at the top of the list, you can just add -com

here's a tutorial that get's it pretty much right:

http://guides.lib.washington.edu/content.php?pid=55083&sid=429391

Using the boolean operators will drastically improve your google fu.

hth,

doug

loose nut
12-12-2014, 04:40 PM
Yahoo recently signed a deal with Mozilla to become the default search engine for Firefox replacing Google.

Doesn't matter anyway, you can install and use any search engine you want.

Death to Google!!!!!!!!