PDA

View Full Version : Chuck wrench, where to find

Old Time
12-15-2014, 12:39 AM
Hello, when I got my Logan lathe it cam with a clapped out three jaw and I presume the Logan four jaw. My problem is they both take a wrench with a 1/4" square snout. The three jaw got rep;aced with a new Bison. Some how I managed to loose the wrench for them. I've been using a 1/4" ratchet and extension. Does anyone have any idea where to find a 1/4" square chuck wrench? I can make one but I have doubts about how long it would last before the square part broke off.
Thanks and take care, Old Time

Axkiker
12-15-2014, 12:41 AM
I would just make one... If worried about it breaking give it a home hardening session with heat. Worst case you end up making another.

Mike Burdick
12-15-2014, 12:53 AM
... even easier! Machine one from a grade 8 or a grade 5 bolt - you won't "twist" it off. Below photo shows two that used a 3/4" diameter bolt body with a 5/16" diameter handle. Buy the bolts long enough so the head and threads can be cut off.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/MikeBurdick/south_bend_keys.jpg

Black Forest
12-15-2014, 02:56 AM
Why not take a 1/4" extension and weld a T handle on it. The extension will be hard and cheap.

Arcane
12-15-2014, 05:31 AM
Hello, when I got my Logan lathe it cam with a clapped out three jaw and I presume the Logan four jaw. My problem is they both take a wrench with a 1/4" square snout. The three jaw got rep;aced with a new Bison. Some how I managed to loose the wrench for them. I've been using a 1/4" ratchet and extension. Does anyone have any idea where to find a 1/4" square chuck wrench? I can make one but I have doubts about how long it would last before the square part broke off.
Thanks and take care, Old Time

If you want to make your own but are worried the square part will break off, braze a 1/4" lathe tool bit into the end. I've used them to remove the little pipe plugs in the oil galleries of a SBC block without breaking them.