PDA

View Full Version : is there a garage sale forum on here?

chesapeake
12-15-2014, 10:25 PM
Like the title says, just wondering if there's a section to sell machinery here ?

RichR
12-15-2014, 10:44 PM
Hi chesapeake
No. Selling is not allowed on this site.

chesapeake
12-16-2014, 05:02 AM
Hi chesapeake
No. Selling is not allowed on this site.

Thanks RichR,

flylo
12-16-2014, 08:46 AM
But the way I understand it if you need to find an item you can post a request & the sale can be done via e-mail or PMs.

Paul Alciatore
12-16-2014, 01:25 PM
They have one here:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/

You have to scroll down to the Commerce section.

We have discussed adding this with our moderator, George Bulliss a number of times. Since this board is sponsored by Village Press, which publishes several magazines that rely on advertising for their income, they have legitimate concerns with providing free advertising space here. They do not seem opposed to individuals selling used items, but they have not yet been able to take the time needed to formulate a policy and to implement it. I would assume that some monitoring would be needed, perhaps even pre-approval for each such post so that would be a drain on their resources.

George has given permission for some such posts in the past. If you PM him, he may approve yours. Look under Quick Links and View Site Leaders above. But I would suggest that you not waste his time with a request for a commercial product post, even if you do make it in your garage. Many of us do that and we are not asking.

jep24601
12-16-2014, 04:50 PM
Like the title says, just wondering if there's a section to sell machinery here ?

No, but there should be!

dp
12-16-2014, 05:04 PM
This site that I run is available but like any for-sale post you put up anywhere, the hardest part is drawing potential buyer traffic to it.

http://metalworkingathome.com/community/index.php?board=13.0

lakeside53
12-16-2014, 11:22 PM
One way is to post links here, even in this thread :)

dp
12-17-2014, 02:09 AM
I think even sales via abstraction are off the table as they violate the spirit of the rule. That rule, seen at the top of this forum, is pretty clear and it would be an insult to George and... hmmm, was going to mention Daron but don't see his name any more.

George Bulliss
12-17-2014, 08:11 AM
and... hmmm, was going to mention Daron but don't see his name any more.

Yes, Daron left for greener pastures and I have not yet introduced his replacement to the board. Kelly Wagner started about a month ago and has been busy learning about the hobby and how to put three magazines together. She has previously worked as a high school math and physics teacher.

Seastar
12-17-2014, 08:51 AM
Welcome to the snake pit Kelly.
We will now need to be on our best behavior.
At least for a day or two.
Bill
PS, I'm glad we don't post for sale ads on this forum. The OT posts are bad enough!

George Bulliss
12-17-2014, 08:52 AM
Welcome to the snake pit Kelly.
At least for a day or two.
Bill

She taught public high school, so should be well suited to handling you guys:)

Seastar
12-17-2014, 08:55 AM
Picture or it didn't happen!
Bill

Paul Alciatore
12-17-2014, 02:14 PM
I once dated a public high school teacher. I felt sorry for her students, they didn't stand a chance.

Neither did I.

rdfeil
12-18-2014, 11:55 PM
I once dated a public high school teacher. I felt sorry for her students, they didn't stand a chance.

Neither did I.

I'm married to one... and have lerned, Yes Dear, very well :rolleyes:

R

loose nut
12-19-2014, 09:01 AM

Can't wait to see that!!!!

Toolguy
12-19-2014, 12:31 PM
It sounds like Kelly is uniquely qualified for the position! Best Wishes to you Kelly! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year too. Everyone is sending out family photos this time of year, maybe now would be a good time to meet OUR new member of the family?
Welcome to the asylum. :p