PDA

View Full Version : CNC project! Past point of no return!

The Artful Bodger
12-16-2014, 01:52 AM
It seemed I would never get to do anything with CNC until I learned enough to collect the necessary building blocks so I took the easy way(?) forward!

I did it, I spent the money and bought a CNC kit. 1.8Nm Stepper motors (3), 4.5A driver boards (3), power supply, break out board and software cd.

The software is EMCs and came with a Ubuntu distribution.

Now the first question is what sort of machine to build or convert? A gantry router would be useful so thats what I intend to use to begin my CNC experience!

Black Forest
12-16-2014, 04:57 AM
It seemed I would never get to do anything with CNC until I learned enough to collect the necessary building blocks so I took the easy way(?) forward!

I did it, I spent the money and bought a CNC kit. 1.8Nm Stepper motors (3), 4.5A driver boards (3), power supply, break out board and software cd.

The software is EMCs and came with a Ubuntu distribution.

Now the first question is what sort of machine to build or convert? A gantry router would be useful so thats what I intend to use to begin my CNC experience!

Good luck with this project. I am in the process of building a gantry style plasma cutting table. I would say I am about half way through the build. Because of the big support base of Mach users on plasma tables I am going that route. Also will buy a package from CandCNC for the electronics. Again because of the support.

Don't forget to take lots of pictures and post them here!

boslab
12-16-2014, 06:43 AM
I'm on my second go, bought the parts, plasma cutter, etc but lost the lot including the computer, starting go no 2, I hope I can get a thermal arc plasma cutter to work as pocket wasn't deep enough for a hypatherm, again!, gantry cnc router/cutter was what I intended, I see no reason why the one table can't do both in a small shop, unless someone can educate me on the subject?
I still have the rack gearing though.
Also I wanted to include a 4th axis for pipe and round work
Mark

Black Forest
12-16-2014, 07:44 AM
I'm on my second go, bought the parts, plasma cutter, etc but lost the lot including the computer, starting go no 2, I hope I can get a thermal arc plasma cutter to work as pocket wasn't deep enough for a hypatherm, again!, gantry cnc router/cutter was what I intended, I see no reason why the one table can't do both in a small shop, unless someone can educate me on the subject?
I still have the rack gearing though.
Also I wanted to include a 4th axis for pipe and round work
Mark

It is always a trade off between speed, acceleration, deceleration, rigidity and weight. The gantry needs to be stout enough to withstand the forces of cutting with a router but lite enough to accerate/decelerate for plasma cutting. Not so easy to get just right.

elf
12-16-2014, 01:49 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/etfrench/CNC%20Router/CNCRouter_zps834a4365.jpg