• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • calixt0
    • Nov 2014

new lathe

hello all, I got the new lathe and all set up. [IMG][/IMG]

huge thanks to BrianH. for coming and helping with more than a few minor and not so minor details.
  • boslab
    • Dec 2007

Just you wait, you opened a big can of worms now!, I'd like to see into the future as to what you post about making back plates for a 10" chuck on your new, newer, newest lathe, I wonder how I know!
    Nice, have fun with it, it's just started, apparently you can only kill machinists with a special cast iron bullet!
    Mark

Comment

• Kiwi
      • Oct 2010

There is a bucket load of fun I used and still going to use my old mans myford the job requirement necessitated the new to me colchester
      Enjoy

Comment

• boslab
        • Dec 2007

Ah machinery addict excuse no 2, inventive, we all believe you, really lol, just keep finding jobs too big for the lathe, you'll be up to 10' long in no time!
        Mark

Comment

• calixt0
          • Nov 2014

thanks for the "encouragement" guys..

Comment

• danlb
            • Nov 2008

Congrats, and Kudos to BrianH for helping.

It's amazing how mysterious and complex it all seems at first, and how reasonable and familiar it will be in short order.

Welcome to the brotherhood of swarf sweepers.

Dan
            At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

• flylo
              • Apr 2011

The proper rule of lathes is the old lathe must be able to be chucked up in the newest lathe using the tailstock of course. Kind of like those russian dolls or boxes or whatever.

Comment

• interiorpainter
                • Nov 2007

With a properly ground hss bit you can turn a nice finish on small items. The machinists with big low rpm lathes will be green with envy. And low noise with high rpm turning.
                When you feel the need to upsize do not sell this lathe for this reason if you can spare the room.

Comment

• Rosco-P
                  • Mar 2012

Originally posted by interiorpainter View Post
                  With a properly ground hss bit you can turn a nice finish on small items. The machinists with big low rpm lathes will be green with envy. And low noise with high rpm turning.
                  What? Machinists (or talented hobby guys) can't produce a good finish on a big low rpm lathe on small diameter work using a HSS bit. Yeah. Scientifically impossible.

Comment

• mars-red
                    • Jan 2012

I can't wait to see some project pics!
                    Max
                    http://joyofprecision.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X