PDA

View Full Version : Small Christmas present for the wife

mattthemuppet
12-23-2014, 11:26 PM
I got this idea for my Christmas mad wife off the Hobby Machinist. Took a fair while but Sophie helped a lot with the turning and grooving and Evie painted the ornaments with nail varnish

http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p752/mattthemuppet/Lathe/IMG_3671_zps153aaac0.jpg

http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p752/mattthemuppet/Lathe/IMG_3673_zps98ae8b8a.jpg

http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p752/mattthemuppet/Lathe/IMG_3674_zpscda18f3a.jpg

http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p752/mattthemuppet/Lathe/IMG_3676_zpsdd070169.jpg

We had a lot of fun teasing her about "doing a lot of nothing in the garage", hope she likes it!

Old Hat
12-24-2014, 02:44 AM
Wow, that's an "eye-Catcher".

A.K. Boomer
12-24-2014, 10:31 AM
that's one of the most heaviest dutiest X-mas ornaments iv ever seen,,, would not leave it on the floor anywhere or somebody could die, come to think of it - would not place it up high anywhere either...

should last forever though and threaten many generations of life,,, i can see you didn't even bother to de-burr -- nice "touch"

this place can be brutally honest Matt - but wishing you the best still hope you know... keep it away from kids...

EDIT; O.H. I just caught your joke in your reply, lol yeah that's if your lucky,

this is a timely post, I was just thinking earlier this week how much X-mas has changed over the years and has gotten so much safer - if the masses did today what they used to do can you imagine?
steel "stars" on top of tree that weighed over three pounds! oh don't worry if the one point don't get you there's 4 others most likely rotating on the way down that probably will...

small 10 watt lights concentrating their BTU value on top of dried pine needles when people are sleeping with no smoke detectors yet invented...

razor thin glass ornament bulbs everywhere including within reach of small children ready to "bleed-out" at any given moment...

And last but not least, lets not forget the lead stencil saved from year to year, and back in the day when it wasn't even considered to be a hazard of any kind, all that surface area dangling and glittering on the tree - almost like candy to little Suzie sitting in front of her presents - quick get a picture - she's got some in her mouth! isn't that cute?

a split second later a row magnesium filled bulbs go off not only hot enough to warp the glass that contains them but also frying the kids retina's that were searching for light in the dimly lit room with full on open pupils --- moments later the decision is made to get out the "video" camera because little Suzie is now fully ingesting the lead stencil - again how cute,

now a row or 4 flood lamps is pointed directly at the kid, who in the video looks like she's trying to avoid starting at them but almost as if being coaxed to do so anyways - What a wonderful natural setting... of course without the audio this type of child abuse would be tough to prove in court and the statute of limitations has long been up,

plus it's really hard for any kid to sue their parents, esp. when their retarded and really don't know whats going on anyways,
compliments of the lead stencil...

Merry X-mas everyone :) And Matt, thanks for taking us all back 50 years or so :p

mattthemuppet
12-24-2014, 03:15 PM
Great, thanks guys, way to pump me full of Christmas cheer. Given that this place is full of old farts bemoaning the excess of off topic posts and the rise of a throwaway society, i thought that a bit of machining and gift making with the kids would be a bit of a treat. Guess I thought wrong.

BTW, it's a standalone ornament.

flylo
12-24-2014, 03:37 PM
HO HO HO Merry Christmas!

If your wife likes it as much as the bunch here can I have it to shoot out of the cannon? I bet the BC is great & think it's cool!

A.K. Boomer
12-24-2014, 03:55 PM
Matt don't mind me and Old hat, we see dead people everywhere we go...

but with all due respect - would you not have to be faster and have more skills Mt. bike wise before you go and call someone an old fart?

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/AK_Boomer/Carloshorsethiefridge.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/AK_Boomer/media/Carloshorsethiefridge.jpg.html)

Now - take a look at above pic, and look at what both the front and rear tires are resting on, that's actually a track stand on two points while I was waiting for the guy who took it to get his camera out and snap the shot,,, just sayin...

skunkworks
12-24-2014, 03:55 PM
eh - people still make things.. This is for my 2.5 year old daughter...

http://electronicsam.com/images/KandT/testing/TOP.JPG

mattthemuppet
12-24-2014, 05:25 PM
Matt don't mind me and Old hat, we see dead people everywhere we go...

but with all due respect - would you not have to be faster and have more skills Mt. bike wise before you go and call someone an old fart?

Now - take a look at above pic, and look at what both the front and rear tires are resting on, that's actually a track stand on two points while I was waiting for the guy who took it to get his camera out and snap the shot,,, just sayin...

And? I've ridden the length and breadth of the UK and Europe, traveled from the mouth of the Amazon to it's source and ridden stuff at least as gnarly as that, yet I don't feel the need nor right to belittle the work of others.

As my mum would say "if you can't say something nice, don't say any thing at all". Or perhaps I should heed another of her sayings " opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one "

mattthemuppet
12-24-2014, 05:27 PM
Thanks flylo and that looks great skunkworks! I'm sure she'll appreciate it just as much in 20 years time as she will tomorrow.

A.K. Boomer
12-24-2014, 05:43 PM
And? I've ridden the length and breadth of the UK and Europe, traveled from the mouth of the Amazon to it's source and ridden stuff at least as gnarly as that, yet I don't feel the need nor right to belittle the work of others.

As my mum would say "if you can't say something nice, don't say any thing at all". Or perhaps I should heed another of her sayings " opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one "

Just a safety concern and remember one without calling you any names...

iv got somewhere around 75 to 100 thou on a bicycle bro - and iv upped the ante pretty seriously since that pic was taken well over a decade ago, it's just my dang wide angle lens on my go pro would not do the terrain justice, although when blasting the single track it does look beyond whats capable speed wise.

Just be careful who you call an old fart K?

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/AK_Boomer/DSC03243_zps9f8662a6.jpg (http://s146.photobucket.com/user/AK_Boomer/media/DSC03243_zps9f8662a6.jpg.html)

freakin kids I tell ya... lol

Merry X-Mass Matt - and do at least de-bur the damn thing esp. if it's a gift for your wife because if I don't rip you for it I guarantee someone will...

plunger
12-24-2014, 06:40 PM
AK can we call you a crazy old fart?:D
Wheres the knee pads and shoulder pads and kevlar body pads.

flylo
12-24-2014, 06:40 PM
Boomer you can't BS us, you're an ole fart as am I & just because we've done some awesome things you're still an ole fart, get use to it!:rolleyes: Merry Chtristmas ole fart. I hope you get some Geritol in your stocking!

A.K. Boomer
12-24-2014, 07:25 PM
I don't mind getting called an old fart (or a crazy old fart for that matter) by other old farts ---- you guys are success stories and have hung around on the planet long enough to have earned that right...

Im not really picking on Matt in fact i like him, and as far as the safety concerns I could go from looking like the biggest jackass going but when it comes to kids safety I also think I could be looked at as a very nice guy, maybe not feeling wise but end results... I could just imagine the guilt of a caring but negligent father if something did indeed happen with something he actually created from scratch,,, so in a sense its not only just concern about the kids either...

My previous rant was about all the past dangers of X-mas, it's hard to see potential hazards this time of year when it's all covered up in disguises, the past examples stated were for that very reason, and it does not mean we can totally let our guard down with other things,,, still needs at least some kind of thought pattern involved and sorry im not really seeing it...

flylo
12-24-2014, 07:34 PM
Be right back I think those real candles set the ole scotch pine on fire or was it the fart with the old scotch? Same result:rolleyes:

mattthemuppet
12-24-2014, 07:49 PM
AK, it's 2 inches high fercrissakes, someone would have to really try to hurt themselves with it.

And I can call whoever I like an old fart, I'll be one myself one day!

A.K. Boomer
12-24-2014, 08:05 PM
2" high ? what size chuck is that in the pic a 1.5"? seriously

you call me an old fart and you will get cordially invited to a nice little Mt. bike ride out where i live... hint - trust me you don't ever want to show up. I send the snot nosed kids with really big mouths on a secondary ride to the emergency room and do not think twice about it...

as far as you being an old fart someday, you can't claim what has not transpired yet, we can - we are the success stories - some of us half gimped and some not,,, get over it... :-)

flylo
12-24-2014, 08:13 PM
DANGER WILL SMITH Safety Nazi's in area DANGER

A.K. Boomer
12-24-2014, 08:18 PM
I would have to agree if it's really 2" tall --- but again look at the chuck,,,

I was for sure thinking it was at least 9" and that would equate to quite a bit of weight to boot,,,

so how big is that chuck anyways? for real...

iMisspell
12-24-2014, 09:51 PM
Sweet idea to evolve your kids in a project like this.
Im sure that alone will make your wife happy !

A.K. Boomer
12-24-2014, 10:07 PM
I will revert and have to agree --- esp. with his small jewelers lathe he forgot to mention :)

Hoe hoe hoe everyone --- merry christmas :p

dneufell
12-24-2014, 10:26 PM
Mattthemuppet.....That is a cool ornament.....thanks for the show and tell :) Dean

flylo
12-24-2014, 10:30 PM
Your going to shoot you eye out with that thing!

mattthemuppet
12-25-2014, 12:23 AM
Thanks for all the comments guys, even the grumpy ones. My mum still has things I made for her many many years ago, so I'm sure Ingrid will be thrilled.

AK, it's a 3in chuck on a lathe I've shown on here many times and referred to in endearing terms such as "makes a HF mini lathe look beefy" and "so noodly is an insult to noodles" etc etc.

As for the ride, bring it on and likewise. I'd love to show you around here, it's beautiful and brutal, just in a different way.

darryl
12-25-2014, 01:09 AM
That lack of deburring- that's just the sealing lips for when you fire it out of the cannon with the tapered bore.

A.K. Boomer
12-25-2014, 01:18 AM
You know you really could have let me know earlier, as in the first reply back, but it's my bad for making the assumption.

surely you can now appreciate the concern if it was a standard size lathe and chuck as that thing would be about a 12 to 14lb babykiller...

anyways - like I said before I should have left it alone with Old hats reply of simply "eye catching" lol

it is a great thing indeed to build instead of buy a prefab thing and the fact that you got the kids in on it is extra special... and now im thinking a burr will also not take part of her finger off when she tried to pick it up :-)

A.K. Boomer
12-25-2014, 01:27 AM
I can still here the Mrs. tomorrow morning --- alright kids no running with the tree!

so just curious, if that's a 3" chuck then exactly how tall is the piece - really? seems it would be a little bigger than two no?

mattthemuppet
12-25-2014, 01:45 AM
No worries, I shouldn't have assumed you knew it was only a couple of inches tall (hence the wtf, are you kidding me? response). I noticed that burr after taking a picture of it after parting/ hacksawing off, but it was too late to deal with it without making it look worse. BTW, the copper star was cut with a pair of scissors :)

Couldn't tell you exactly how tall it is as it's wrapped up and the wife is sitting next to me, but I'll stick a ruler next to it sometime tomorrow. I could say it's as long as my thumb, but that's probably not much help either.

mattthemuppet
12-25-2014, 01:24 PM
Well, she absolutely loved it and no one's died yet, so a success all round! I'm really chuffed that I can now envision something (or copy it in this case) and than make it, with it coming out more or less as intended. That's a big thing for me after a couple of years of learning this stuff! Merry Christmas everyone!

JRouche
12-25-2014, 01:41 PM
Hey Matt. I think its a great gift and yer wifey does too, thats MY assumption.

I also assumed it was a very small chuck. My emco 120 has a 3" chuck that looks similar. I mean for god sakes, look at the screws on the chuck. Never seen any 9" chuck with giant screws sticking out of it. And that switch??? Looks like a regular sized switch.

Guess some folks are more into rippin other folks stuff apart and bolstering up their own self image. Inferiority complex?? Is that a thing? Must be cause I see ALOT of it here.

Anywho... Great job and good for you getting the young-uns involved. JR

A.K. Boomer
12-25-2014, 01:58 PM
Think I was just a little bit cranky too, but if you noticed did not resort to name calling, caught the flu day before yesterday and was looking forward to hanging with family for X-mas (and eating) but am now quarantined --- kinda sucks but im over it --- check out some of the other comments as I was not the only one concerned, and sorry with all the cheap junk for lathes out there nowadays its hard to know what could be what anymore... but i commend you on your hind sight expertise and in also owning a mini-lathe lol

Like i said earlier it would have been nice to have in a reply right off something like "you do realize this is a mini-lathe and the part is 2" right" oh well - not the first time I came across like an ass and won't be the last,,, deal with it

and Merry X-mas...:)

flylo
12-25-2014, 02:15 PM
I have a Unimat tiny lathe lathe that is good quality for for it's size.

mattthemuppet
12-25-2014, 02:35 PM
Don't worry about it AK, it's all cleared up, no bad feelings. I think there may be a slight difference in meaning for "old fart" between the UK and the US too - in the UK it's about as mild as it gets (almost a term of endearment) and references the caution and "ooh, you don't want to do that, my uncle Gilbert stuck himself in the eye and died when he did that" stuff that often comes out our esteemed elders mouths :) it's not a rip on frailty. So the insult (!) was directed at the safety comments not my perceptions of your manliness.

And I'm very proud of my ancient noodle lathe. Just think of the wonders I'll be able to produce with a lathe that has a head stock that doesn't deflect 20 thou when you lean on it ;)

Thanks JR much appreciated. The comments were meant well, just a bit of confusion over scale. With the death Star on top it measures 2 3/4in and without it's just over 2 in.

Black Forest
12-25-2014, 03:10 PM
Old fart and SOB are best said with a smile on your face! Don't worry about insulting AK's manliness. He needs it from time to time! Actually he craves it! Then he can tell us how much he can bench!!!! Me I just get the forklift!

Actually I also thought that thing looked dangerous and was thinking what AK wrote. Glad you got it all covered. Put a little side relief on the perimeter and mount that thing on an arrow! A little C4 in between the branches. Oh yeah! I like it.

A.K. Boomer
12-25-2014, 03:24 PM
Thanks Matt - I will take full heat for the "assumption" be it information divulged or not, the bottom line like I stated before is it is my bad...

I was thinking the "death star" could have given someone a fighting chance if it did indeed fold over and cover the "projectiles point" lol just kiddin...
one thing for certain is if that thing ever does penetrate it's going to be hell getting back out lol again just kiddin

the other thing I really was interested in the real height for even after finding out that its a tiny lathe is simply for the comparison between the two parts, and there again I was off some, as I would have actually thought the piece to be at least 1" longer, although due to it being in the forefront of the pic I might be getting thrown off there too...

last but not least --- I was extra sensitive about the "old fart" comment yesterday because I was feeling very puny, i don't get sick often but when I do it's not a pretty sight...

getting back on my original rant, can you believe we actually used to have lead stencil to hang from the tree's? thousands of little strands of flattened out lead,,, and kids would play with it too... crazy...

mattthemuppet
12-25-2014, 09:42 PM
Old fart and SOB are best said with a smile on your face! Don't worry about insulting AK's manliness. He needs it from time to time! Actually he craves it! Then he can tell us how much he can bench!!!! Me I just get the forklift!

Actually I also thought that thing looked dangerous and was thinking what AK wrote. Glad you got it all covered. Put a little side relief on the perimeter and mount that thing on an arrow! A little C4 in between the branches. Oh yeah! I like it.

Hey, if I wanted to hurt someone I'd just smack them with a lump of steel, no point spending hours in the garage to be subtle about it :)

mattthemuppet
12-25-2014, 09:58 PM
Glad to hear that you're feeling better AK. I know the feeling, I don't get sick often but I'm miserable when I do.

Here's something that'll cheer you up - found a set of lawn darts at a garage sale a while back, now that was a truly crazy concept. I'm glad they didn't develop it further and end up with lawn javelins :)

A.K. Boomer
12-25-2014, 11:08 PM
I remember them all too well, My Dad actually bought us some, yes - 7 boys and one gurl in my family so you can imagine the chaos that ensued shortly after,,, it was not too long and we could not find them anymore,,, ole Pops usually had his act together ahead of time but this one slipped past him somehow, but then with a little observation a decision of reversal was made... they had disappeared - wise move...

they still were not as bad as me and a friend who had two bow's and only one arrow to play with,,, we thought we would just shoot it back and forth to each other - way up high and far apart, worked for awhile till one time I shot it and he could not see it BECAUSE IT WAS HEADING RIGHT FOR HIM, such is the nature of an ARROW !
he ended up seeing it last split second and jerked his leg away and it just caught the edge of his kneecap and glanced off...

would he been able to see it if it were heading straight for his eye? don't think so and would have ended up in his brain,,,

I think why I get so overprotective with kids is because I can't believe the stuff we used to do and skated,

If I had kids of my own id probably be a nervous wreck...

Your a class act Mattthemuppet. :)

mattthemuppet
12-26-2014, 02:22 AM
I don't know the answer to that either AK, I'm not sure anyone does. You want to give them enough freedom to make their own mistakes, but you don't want to be the parents on the news crying for information about their missing child. I guess you just muddle through like everyone else.

becksmachine
12-26-2014, 05:03 AM
Your a class act Mattthemuppet. :)

+1 on that!!

I would add very forgiving.

Hope you had a good Christmas in wine country. :)

Dave