PDA

View Full Version : eggsellent!

Normanv
12-25-2014, 09:15 AM
I had heard that this was possible but had never seen it for myself. I threw an egg as far as I could onto my lawn. It bounced, but did not break. I buy eggs from a local supplier, they have thin shells, if I try to boil them they always split. I am impressed.

Jon Heron
12-25-2014, 09:32 AM
If you put them in the water when its still cool they usually wont split.
We are lucky our neighbor has layers and we look after them when they are away, in return they keep us fully stocked with fresh eggs!
I think next spring we are going to try our hand with our own chickens, its good for the kids to see where some of our food comes from I figure...
Merry Christmas!
Jon

Normanv
12-25-2014, 10:05 AM
I used to keep chickens, my daughters loved them too much and it was difficult when I wanted roast chicken!

olcop
12-25-2014, 10:24 AM
I used to keep chickens, my daughters loved them too much and it was difficult when I wanted roast chicken!

Yep, never name or let your children name an animal you plan to use for food or make a pet of it, when it comes time to butcher 'ol Rover you'll have to deal with crying, begging children and probably wife too! (ask me how I know), and, you end up with a pen full of stock that is spoiled rotten, and need to be fed twice a day!
olcop

krutch
12-25-2014, 11:26 AM
My mother kept chickens and turkeys. She sometimes named them. When she would butcher one she'd apologize to it while plucking and gutting it.

michigan doug
12-25-2014, 12:47 PM
My coworker started keeping chickens, and doing it right. They sometimes have extra which we are happy to pay a premium for.

The first dozen I got, when I smacked it on the edge of the cast iron pan, it just laughed at me.

-Those- shells were double extra heavy duty.

and the yolks stands up proud and is orange, not yellow.

flylo
12-25-2014, 12:55 PM
It's orange because it's fresh. We bought a calf when my boys were 10 & 12. I named it Tbone so there was no doubt it's future. I don't even wan to know how much per # I had in that meat.

Evan
12-25-2014, 01:26 PM
Grains as chicken feed make the yolks light, especially wheat. Fresh veggies make them darker and the darker the greens the more orange they get. Unfortunately this is very well known in the poultry business and they use chemical additives to colour both the eggs and the meat depending on the local market. The most commonly used colourant is plain old Annatto which is made from a tree seed and root so it isn't bad. In south America the general preference is for very yellow meat and in Europe very yellow eggs are the main market preference. Same with me. I won't eat eggs that are so light the yolk looks like a slightly more opaque white.

Definitely don't make friends with your food. They end up like this.

http://ixian.ca/pics11/catmafia.jpg

Normanv
12-25-2014, 02:46 PM
I lived in Africa for ten years, my chickens ranged free in the forest that I had as a garden. Their eggs and meat were the best tasting I have ever had. They were a bit tough though.

sasquatch
12-25-2014, 03:51 PM
Agree, the best chicken and eggs are free range, that's why years ago farm raised chickens tasted so much better than today. Store bought are horrible, same as pellet fed store bought fish.

rbertalotto
12-25-2014, 03:56 PM
How to make PERFECT hard boiled eggs....

Cool but not cold Water in a pan above the level of the eggs....add a bit of salt to help the water boil faster.....Put eggs in water....apply heat. Bring water to a boil, remove pan from heat, cover, let sit 12-15 minutes.....PERFECT Hard Boiled Eggs.

I owned a restaurant and made thousands of pounds of Egg Salad over the years.

Normanv
12-25-2014, 04:40 PM
What about soft boiled eggs?

elf
12-25-2014, 04:44 PM
Grains as chicken feed make the yolks light, especially wheat. Fresh veggies make them darker and the darker the greens the more orange they get. Unfortunately this is very well known in the poultry business and they use chemical additives to colour both the eggs and the meat depending on the local market. The most commonly used colourant is plain old Annatto which is made from a tree seed and root so it isn't bad. In south America the general preference is for very yellow meat and in Europe very yellow eggs are the main market preference. Same with me. I won't eat eggs that are so light the yolk looks like a slightly more opaque white.

Definitely don't make friends with your food. They end up like this.

http://ixian.ca/pics11/catmafia.jpg

I've never eaten cat, what does it taste like :)

Knires
12-25-2014, 04:54 PM
How to make PERFECT hard boiled eggs....

Cool but not cold Water in a pan above the level of the eggs....add a bit of salt to help the water boil faster.....Put eggs in water....apply heat. Bring water to a boil, remove pan from heat, cover, let sit 12-15 minutes.....PERFECT Hard Boiled Eggs.

I owned a restaurant and made thousands of pounds of Egg Salad over the years.

That is very similar to how my wife makes them. Here is her method: http://domesticdreamboat.com/make-perfect-hard-boiled-eggs/. I got spoiled with these and can not eat them any other way.

rbertalotto
12-25-2014, 05:31 PM
What about soft boiled eggs?

Same way except remove eggs from water at eggaxctly 3.5 minutes....Run under cold water to stop cooking process. But not too long so the eggs chill.

Evan
12-25-2014, 08:12 PM
"I've never eaten cat, what does it taste like"

No idea. You will have to ask the eagles.

lakeside53
12-25-2014, 08:14 PM
I've never eaten cat, what does it taste like :)

Like chicken or so the local Vietnamese restaurant tells me.:)

Evan
12-25-2014, 08:17 PM
That's the "Strange Meat Principle". It all tastes like chicken, supposedly...

added:

With the exception of humans, apparently, which in Borneo are called "Long Pig" by some tribes.

kendall
12-25-2014, 11:45 PM
I had heard that this was possible but had never seen it for myself. I threw an egg as far as I could onto my lawn. It bounced, but did not break. I buy eggs from a local supplier, they have thin shells, if I try to boil them they always split. I am impressed.

My neighbors in Oregon had chickens that always got loose and laid eggs wherever they happened to be when the urge hit. Since we didn't know how long the eggs were there we always threw them away. I read that they wouldn't break in grass, so next time I found one I tested it. Found you can really throw eggs a long distance as long as the grass is at least 3 inches tall. Pretty impressive the kind of abuse they'll take.

vpt
12-26-2014, 09:42 AM
If you put them in the water when its still cool they usually wont split.
We are lucky our neighbor has layers and we look after them when they are away, in return they keep us fully stocked with fresh eggs!
I think next spring we are going to try our hand with our own chickens, its good for the kids to see where some of our food comes from I figure...
Merry Christmas!
Jon

We've had chickens for quite a few years now. Just this last summer we got a few ducks to change it up some. We love the ducks! They are great layers and are much more comical than the chickens. They will follow you around the yard like a dog.

Jon Heron
12-26-2014, 10:46 AM
Ya ducks would be nice too, I have read that guinea hens are also really good and virtually eliminate ticks and other nasty bugs from the yard.
The trouble is how am I going to train Gunner, our new bird dog, to live with the birds ranging in the same yard he does....
Sending him mixed signals lol
http://theherons.ca/album/var/resizes/Jonnys_Stuff/temp/IMG_20141113_154739.jpg?m=1419608464
http://theherons.ca/album/var/resizes/Jonnys_Stuff/temp/IMG_20141112_171505.jpg?m=1419608464
Cheers,
Jon

Black Forest
12-26-2014, 10:52 AM
Here in Germany the feed stores have a chart on the wall. It is just like at a paint store. Pick the color you want your eggs.

Real free ranging chickens that get couped at night lay the best tasting eggs. When you fry two eggs and have them on your plate you think you are staring at Sophia Loren!

mooney1el
12-26-2014, 11:05 AM
Since we're talking eggs here and it is the Christmas season....

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r70/mooney1el/EggsBenedict_zps98480ecc.jpg (http://s141.photobucket.com/user/mooney1el/media/EggsBenedict_zps98480ecc.jpg.html)

krutch
12-27-2014, 04:04 PM
Ya ducks would be nice too, I have read that guinea hens are also really good and virtually eliminate ticks and other nasty bugs from the yard.
The trouble is how am I going to train Gunner, our new bird dog, to live with the birds ranging in the same yard he does....
Sending him mixed signals lol
]

Cheers,
Jon

We had Bantys when I was a kid and the dog killed one. Mom tied the body to the dogs neck where it couldn't be got at by the dog and left it for a day maybe two. Not long enough to rot. Dog never messed with the chickens or turkeys after that. Don't know if it would work with other dogs but did with ours. Of course with todays busy body jerks ya might have the cops called on ya for aminal (sp. on purpose) cruelty or something.