PDA

View Full Version : Not just in the USA - here in OZ too

oldtiffie
12-28-2014, 12:54 AM
Australia has had its share of race riots over quite awhile - so the USA is not alone in that respect.

The "Lindt" café of recent times was not just a "one off" either.

So we too are in no position to adopt a "holier than thou" attitude or to sneer at others.

Sad, very sad, but true.

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/the-bloody-history-of-australias-race-riots/ar-BBhgujU?ocid=iehp

http://www.bing.com/search?q=lindt+cafe+siege+sydney&FORM=AWRE

PStechPaul
12-28-2014, 01:21 AM
I think things are a bit different in the US. I fear we have created a monster by assigning special status to a particular race who are still considered a minority, but constitute a very large percentage of the population, and a majority in some areas, particularly cities. The ultimate goal is equality and a fair, level playing field, but it has devolved into favoritism and overcompensation, which results in reverse discrimination and a separatist self-perception that interferes with cooperation and breeds hatred. There is now a very divisive and counterproductive assertion of unfair treatment and police brutality, while at the same time these factions cry out for protection from violent criminals. It is illogical and emotionally charged, just like many actions that are based on extreme religious principles.

We must tread carefully here, as discussions of politics and religion are verboten.

Lew Hartswick
12-28-2014, 09:16 AM
I guess the Ausies have a different definition of RACE than I do.
Anyone else??
...lew...

plunger
12-28-2014, 10:42 AM
I doubt this thread will last one page. I just feel that if you are prepared to steal and do so with a gun then be prepared to be dealt with harshly. As a South African who comes from a country where the majority are protected from the minority to the huge detriment of the country (affirmative action) I have to bite my tongue

Old Hat
12-28-2014, 10:53 AM
Once this thread is closed, all you have to do is study history.
There is always going to be groups that have issues with each other.

The real trouble is born when a divisive third party, be it politicians
an economic force or some religious faction gets involved to use the situation
to create some condition that serves to divert power, control, or wealth,
or all three, toward that third party.

Paul Alciatore
12-28-2014, 11:18 AM
I have to agree with Old Hat. The trouble is being stirred up by people with self serving agendas.

CCWKen
12-28-2014, 11:34 AM
I presume you are referring to the recent highly publicized theft, arson and assault actions of a few in the U.S. after CNN turned a few police actions into a race topic. If you point an object at a police officer or perform actions he believes to be a threat to his life or others, you're going to get shot. If you resist arrest, an officer is authorized to use an appropriate level of force necessary to overcome the resistance. It doesn't matter what race you are.

I agree with Lew--The Aussies must have a broader definition of race.

A.K. Boomer
12-28-2014, 11:49 AM
Yes this will get locked but you guys are right on,,, and that's not being "racial" just is what it is...

justanengineer
12-28-2014, 11:54 AM
+1 to every previous poster's comments, I couldnt agree more fellas.

Old Hat
12-28-2014, 11:58 AM
I don't know about other countries, but in the US hang on for quite a ride.
The whole thing has turned into a policing debate.

And it's a powder keg. I used to be solidly in the camp (Support your Local Sheriff).
Don't give cops trouble, don't make your self a problem you won't have a problem.

Saddly I'm see~ing Policing accrue far to much power and autonomy.
I've even experienced harsh treatment at the side of the road during a blizard
where once it would have been a stop to see if I was allright.

This trouble comes down from govt' on high.
But it pits the officer against the citizen, and that's dangerous.
Cops were once hired based on qualification, even personality mattered.
Many now should never been allowed on the streets. THIS IS SAD.

I've had three cops for neighbors and .... it's just a damn shame.

A.K. Boomer
12-28-2014, 12:12 PM
There are examples on both sides that should have never been,,,
there's simply no disputing that,,, but the way a certain side is handling it is far worse, you simply do not do what they are doing,,,
there are also a hell of allot of good cops not only getting a bad rap but having to go out into that hell-hole everyday and try to protect others and keep the peace,,,
for an instant just think about how much that job would suck, and also think about what life would be like without them,,,
ok rant over im seriously going to try and stay out of this one...

Old Hat
12-28-2014, 12:26 PM
That's the trouble, the source of the problem ain't the guy with the badge.
It's much higher up.

We got along fine, and the I started seeing black jump suits in the mid 90's
POLICE in big white block lettering on the back.
Where the he!! did that crap come from. The first time it happened on this block.
I can still see the stunned faces of all our many ethnicitys looking at each other
with the WTF expressions on all our faces.

dp
12-28-2014, 01:45 PM
Oz was a bad place to be a pygmy.

https://quadrant.org.au/opinion/history-wars/2002/06/the-extinction-of-the-australian-pygmies/

J Tiers
12-28-2014, 02:47 PM
Yep, gonna get closed...

If the thought is (as it is here in Sinquefieldia) that police from far away are just as capable of "policing" an area as locals, then there will be conflict and more and more and more conflict, involving a larger and larger proportion of the population.

Police do not "police", they "control inmates" in the US..... They respond to a disturbance among the inmates (robbery, domstic issue, riot, whatever), and "put it down" in such a way as to cause themselves the least inconvenience.. They don't know your name, they don't know you. They don't WANT to, and in many cases they are not SUPPOSED to.

The assumption is that you ARE a criminal, they just haven't found out HOW you are a criminal yet. And you get treated accordingly.

It comes from a division between cops and "civilians". Nonsense... cops are a "civilian law enforcement organization". CIVILIAN. Not military.

Cops are SUPPOSED TO BE *US*.

But now, they are a separate group, afraid even to let you know their name or place of residence.... an occupying force, essentially.

This is insane, and will result in revolutionary activity, eventually even among the most staunch police-supporting conservatives.

A.K. Boomer
12-28-2014, 03:28 PM
But now, they are a separate group, afraid even to let you know their name or place of residence....

Never really thought about it that way,,, yeah they should be allot more personal when dealing with the bottom of the barrel citizens --- like business cards with their addresses and maybe even pictures of their kids :rolleyes:

get real - it's a jungle out there ---------- and none of the statements I just made are racial so everybody take a deep breath...

dp
12-28-2014, 03:57 PM
The guy on the left playing mandolin is my neighbor, the guy playing harmonica is a good friend and custom gun builder (http://morriscustomparts.com), and the guy singing was the chief of police at the time, retired just two months ago. Just had dinner with the chief last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogw5srk9Srs

Sometimes the problem is the policed, not the police. We have a pretty nice community here because we just don't create a lot of trouble for the law enforcement to clean up.