PDA

View Full Version : Motor driver for a "SloSyn Drive motor"

CalM
01-20-2015, 05:44 PM
I been looking for a unipolar stepper drive for a SloSyn SS400 drive motor that "looks" about right for a knee lift.

It seems that the L/R drives are not so efficient in these large amp (4.5) applications. But, I don't seem to find many "off the shelf" solutions to the five wire configuration.
The two center taps are not brought out to the connection terminals on this motor.

I did see one reference to using a "normal" drive and just ignor the tied together center taps, but that just doesn't seem right at all.
https://itp.nyu.edu/physcomp/labs/motors-and-transistors/lab-controlling-a-stepper-motor-with-an-h-bridge/

Can anyone shed light on a useful drive package for the 5 amp and around 35V application? (inexpensive would be nice too ;-)

I've got the motor spinning just fine using an ancient SloSyn translator (ST1800) and a signal generator. but the 1 amp and 12 v limit of that device leaves the motor vastly oversized for it's torque.

I'll not need step rates much greater than 500 or 600, So high voltage isn't much concern,

I'm not really into a complete DIY from scratch (no board making interest at all, though I do use Eagle to drive a plotter ;-)

Could one purchase one of the low buck imports and then bring out leads to a set of four IRF540s? Or would other components need changed to match?

I do have several Parker S6 and S8 drives, but the literature indicates these really nice packaged drives are not suited to 5 wire configurations.

Maybe just getting a 6 or 8 wire motor is a better option? But then what will I do with this big hunk'in motor? ;-)

TIA

Cal

Doozer
01-20-2015, 06:48 PM
Can't you just use a capacitor to shift the phase for the second winding?
90 degrees, right??

-Doozer

CalM
01-20-2015, 09:52 PM
Can't you just use a capacitor to shift the phase for the second winding?
90 degrees, right??

-Doozer

Yup, Works perfect at 72 rpm.
150 ohm 50 watt and 6.5 mfd
But what fun is that?

Variable speed direction, and "inching", is what is wanted.

macona
01-20-2015, 10:05 PM
Just drive it with a bipolar drive like a gecko. Its more efficient too.

CalM
01-20-2015, 10:45 PM
Just drive it with a bipolar drive like a gecko. Its more efficient too.

How are you suggesting to treat the common wire?

Gecko has four motor terminals. A five wire unipolar motor ties the center taps together.
Dillema! or irrelavent?

The SloSyn powers that connection and sinks the A, A bar, B, B bar .

If the Gecko works, the Parker Compumotor S6 must surely work. Or is there some major difference?

macona
01-21-2015, 12:01 AM
You ignore the center tap wires on a 6.

If it is a 5 wire you throw it away. 5 wire motors are pretty uncommon and you really cant go inside to modify it without potentially messing up the motor. Typically when you take a stepper apart it will never perform as well as it should.

Yes, any bipolar drive will run a unpolar motor. Just be sure to set the current.

CalM
01-21-2015, 12:32 AM
You ignore the center tap wires on a 6.

If it is a 5 wire you throw it away. 5 wire motors are pretty uncommon and you really cant go inside to modify it without potentially messing up the motor. Typically when you take a stepper apart it will never perform as well as it should.

Yes, any bipolar drive will run a unpolar motor. Just be sure to set the current.
Thanks Macona

I think I had that all covered in my OP.

Tossing the motor seems so spendy 400 oz,in don't fall off trees ;-)

Progress!

if the boards were available, this might be useful.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwKdjbF0G6WKbTiQy8lsr2mFQzf22TY P1_9TKLIYPmcZg6oYcq