PDA

View Full Version : some tips

motorworks
01-21-2015, 07:58 PM
Been Busy again lately and have not posted in a while
Here's a few small tips / ideas
1) I think it was here that someone suggested using silicone seal as a thread lock . Well
I rebuild a shaker eccentric type crank a few yrs back and tried it out. Red high temp SS instead of
locite. Well it worked perfect. All bolts were still tight! And this was used 24 hrs in a heavy salt water area.
Came apart easy and all threads cleaned up well with brake cleaner.
2) Purchased a ultra-compact Chicago Pneumatic air impact wrench, Pricy but well worth it
Fits in most places easy, uses far less compressed air ( ie compressor runs less) and is very light weight etc
( not affiliated in any way just a happy customer)
3) Gloves! Always a controversial topic in a machine shop. Turns out I have contact dermatitis (stainless / nickel being
the main one and the material I work with most.) I found these Ninja light gloves for optics work. (NinjaŽ Lite Coated Gloves)
Perhaps the best I have ever used , I can easily use mikes etc with them on ! But still be careful around moving spindles etc.
eddie

sasquatch
01-21-2015, 10:16 PM
Thanks Eddie, and good to see you post again.

EVguru
01-22-2015, 05:44 AM
The Ninja gloves look very similar to the Maxiflex Ultimate ones I wear.

Old Hat
01-22-2015, 05:50 AM
Glad you put that up!
Led me to this.... alternative to far more expensive welding sleeves.
http://www.fullsource.com/memphis-gloves-n9696s/memphis-gloves-9378t/
or
http://www.fullsource.com/memphis-gloves-n9696s/memphis-gloves-9378t/memphis-gloves-9378/

boslab
01-22-2015, 07:28 AM
I have quite a few of these left over from work, they were to stop thin sheet steel getting you, worked well too
Mark

motorworks
01-23-2015, 06:59 PM
Another:
Sharpcam has a free download , but the drawing package is free forever and it's great for drawing flanges , bolt hole patterns etc.
Another plus is you can export your drawing via DXF. I use it along with other programs.
eddie

motorworks
01-27-2015, 06:58 PM
For Fast Mill table set up I found these two items great. use them on my cnc and manual mill!!
A) Mitee-Bite
B) rite-hites

eddie