PDA

View Full Version : Google "break up"?

oldtiffie
01-22-2015, 08:48 PM
I saw an article in today's media here in Australia about "Google" being broken up into some number of component parts and "sold off".

Any advice or comments about how it might affect HSM-ers?

https://www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ssl#q=google+break+up

John Stevenson
01-23-2015, 04:36 AM
Pity they don't do the same with Tiffiepedia................

Evan
01-23-2015, 05:13 AM
Google isn't breaking up. The EU Parliament would like it to be so and have passed a non-binding resolution stating they would like to see all search engine services split from other online computer operations. It isn't a plan by Google and Google is not bound by the EU parliament and the resolution has no legal effect. Google isn't at all likely to be interested in somehow appeasing the EU and this will die in the mud.

Also, to make such a resolution binding they must (under European Commission rulings) prove that a company has such a large position in the world market that they dominate it to the point of preventing competition. That will be impossible to do because of the Baidu China search engine service. It has about 1/2 billion users in Asia. That makes it impossible to say that Google has most of the pie, regardless of the reasons.

Carry on.

Jon Heron
01-23-2015, 08:08 AM
Yep, just a lot of hot air from the EU politicians...
Cheers,
Jon

justanengineer
01-23-2015, 08:17 AM
Gee, more hot air from a group of politicians with little power and no legal standing.

JMO but the EU needs to admit defeat and split already.

digiex_chris
01-23-2015, 10:20 AM
It's the same kind of politics that routinely hurts Canada. Our politicians make a decisions trying to muscle around huge multi-national companies, like force Netflix to operate like a cable TV provider, or force Apple to change the plug on their phones, those companies say No, and if Canada were to force the issue, those companies would just leave and take their technology with them.

What would Google rather do: split up and sell, weakening their position on the global market in order to appease the government of a population of 500 million people, or leave and operate in the several billion strong population of computer computer users in the rest of the planet instead? It's not like they're headquartered in the EU.

philbur
01-23-2015, 11:24 AM
Where did the UK come into this thread. I thought the rhetoric was being directed at the EU.

The US government appears to interfere in similar issues all the time. Attempts to breakup Microsoft and the character assassination of Bill Gates comes immediately to mind, and all this from a market smaller than the EU! I am with a bank in the UK that forces me to comply with US law only because it chooses to operate also in the US, so it would seem that an individual country can and does influence the behaviour of multinationals, thank god.

Democratic governments are responsible to the people, multinationals are only responsible to their shareholders.

Phil:)

philbur
01-23-2015, 11:29 AM
Also, to make such a resolution binding they must (under European Commission rulings) prove that a company has such a large position in the world market that they dominate it to the point of preventing competition.

Not in the world market, only in the EU.

digiex_chris
01-23-2015, 11:41 AM
Where did the UK come into this thread. I thought the rhetoric was being directed at the EU.

typo, fixed

It does change my point a bit, since it's a much larger population, but it makes it even stranger, they'll have to get all of those countries to cooperate to make it binding, which it isn't anyway.

The US is also not trying to make your UK bank breakup either.

interiorpainter
01-23-2015, 12:40 PM
It can't be broken in to many pieces.

Peter.
01-23-2015, 12:48 PM
It can't be broken in to many pieces.

G o o g l e

There you go, it was easy!

Mark Rand
01-23-2015, 01:56 PM
It is very reasonable the the search engine part should be independent of the parts that make profits from the results of those searches. Gets harder to pay for it though. Maybe a they could put a PayPal 'donate' button on the search page????
:cool:

flylo
01-23-2015, 02:00 PM
If you guys not in the U.S. run out of hot air in government we have an excess & will be glad to send some your way.

Evan
01-23-2015, 02:01 PM
"Not in the world market, only in the EU"

They like to think those two are the same thing...

danlb
01-23-2015, 02:55 PM
I am with a bank in the UK that forces me to comply with US law only because it chooses to operate also in the US, so it would seem that an individual country can and does influence the behaviour of multinationals, thank god.

Democratic governments are responsible to the people, multinationals are only responsible to their shareholders.

It works both ways. I worked as a consultant at several companies that had foreign offices. The US firms had to strictly adhere to the foreign laws, especially when it came to the privacy of the EU workers when the personnel offices were in the US.

Dan

dp
01-23-2015, 03:07 PM
Search engines and social networks have a simple business model: Rape the customers and make them feel good about it by giving them a toy.

oldtiffie
01-23-2015, 05:34 PM
H-m-m-m-m

Well DP, that sounds like the old "of course I'll love you ion the morning" bit and of the woman (person?) who didn't know he/she had been raped until the cheque "bounced".

Seems like you are right - again - too.