PDA

View Full Version : My CNC 'puter is acting up...help!

DICKEYBIRD
01-24-2015, 12:17 PM
It's the trusty ol' XP/Mach3 PC that runs my ORAC and upon startup this morning it coughed up these messages:

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g227/DBAviation/PCError1_zps938b9830.jpg (http://s57.photobucket.com/user/DBAviation/media/PCError1_zps938b9830.jpg.html)

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g227/DBAviation/PCError2_zps094d6e6d.jpg (http://s57.photobucket.com/user/DBAviation/media/PCError2_zps094d6e6d.jpg.html)

I pressed F1, it started up normally and has been running the machine just fine. It was pretty cold in the shop this morning so I waited a couple hrs. & restarted but the same errors come up. The thing doesn't even have a floppy drive at all which seems weird that a floppy error comes up. The only other clue is that the Windows clock on the taskbar has been wrong every time I start it for the past month or so. Could it be that the m/board battery is dead and now it's gone back to some default bios setting? I don't really have the time to rip the thing apart this weekend & get into yet another project. It seems to be OK; should I worry that this will get worse & the whole thing croak?

RichR
01-24-2015, 12:33 PM
Hi DICKEYBIRD
If the battery is original to the machine then that 08/03/2004 date would suggest it's about 10 years old, so bad battery is a pretty good bet.

Frank K
01-24-2015, 12:47 PM
Just get it up and running properly, set the time if needed and let it run. Turn off the monitor at the end of the day if you like. Repeatedly starting up a computer in sub-freezing weather especially one with a (probably) 10 year old hard drive is just rolling the dice on a drive crash. Most drives fail on cold startup. Once the drive is up and spinning and at temperature equilibrium it will likely spin happily for years until the spindle bearings finally give out.

achtanelion
01-24-2015, 12:49 PM
Absolutely battery. A cr2023 is the standard. With no power backup defaults are loaded in the BIOS. Defaults have a floppy, machine doesn't, throws an error. Quick fix is battery, lazy fix is keep ignoring the message. ;-)

Rosco-P
01-24-2015, 12:56 PM
Absolutely battery. A cr2023 is the standard. With no power backup defaults are loaded in the BIOS. Defaults have a floppy, machine doesn't, throws an error. Quick fix is battery, lazy fix is keep ignoring the message. ;-)

That would be confirmed by the loss of date and time. Essentially machine resets itself to the day it was "born".

DICKEYBIRD
01-24-2015, 01:28 PM
Great info as always gentlemen; thanks a bunch! I'll be replacing that battery after I get a few more jobs finished I promised to do.

chrisinestes
01-24-2015, 02:43 PM
Another vote for changing the battery first. It may be just a button cell, or it could be a battery pack with wires and a connector. I've had computers with both types, so check to see what type you have.

And, if I were you, I'd make a backup copy of your Mach3 XML file and get that copy off of that computer in case you have something more drastic going on. You should do that anyway, so you don't have to start from scratch with Mach3.

Chris

gudlife
01-24-2015, 03:02 PM
FYI, after you replace the batter you will still see that error since that is the default setting.

Once you replace it go ahead and hit F8...look for floppy or 3.5" disk on the list of drives and set it to none. That should cure it. You can either fix the clock in the BIOS or once you get back into XP and it should stick with a fresh battery installed. I do recommend setting the clock...if can play havoc with certain programs and networks if your timestamp is in the past ;)

JH

Puckdropper
01-24-2015, 10:07 PM

Don't you mean 2032?

When you get the new battery, go in to the BIOS setup and tell it you don't have a floppy disk drive. Be careful to only change what you have to. Save changes and everything should work.

achtanelion
01-24-2015, 10:36 PM
Don't you mean 2032?

When you get the new battery, go in to the BIOS setup and tell it you don't have a floppy disk drive. Be careful to only change what you have to. Save changes and everything should work.

Yes, yes I do. I'll blame the ipad. ;-)

DICKEYBIRD
01-25-2015, 09:32 AM
And, if I were you, I'd make a backup copy of your Mach3 XML file and get that copy off of that computer in case you have something more drastic going on. You should do that anyway, so you don't have to start from scratch with Mach3.Yup, already loaded my .xml, tools3.dat (has all my recent hard-earned tool offsets) and license files on 2 different USB sticks. They're stored in plastic boxes, one inside the machine cabinet & the other in my toolbox. I also saved them on my shop PC, another PC in the house and even emailed them to myself on the PC at work.

I get nauseous just thinking about starting from scratch with all 1.3 kazillion settings in Mach, that's for sure!