PDA

View Full Version : Rapid Tap cutting oil

Axkiker
01-24-2015, 12:39 PM
Anyone ever use Rapid Tap. I noticed today that anything which was coated with the oil has now turned a weird brownish color. Its not rust as it wipes off with a cleaner like WD40.

Anyone run into this. Is it some sort of rust inhibitor or something.

Old Hat
01-24-2015, 06:43 PM
Rapid Tap is to be avoided.
For a few reasons.

What you are describing is one of them.

Forrest Addy
01-24-2015, 07:24 PM
Rapid Tap is among my favorite machining goos and glops. Great stuff for most any metal but expensive for any but dab at a time use. So the residues cling and turn brownish. As you say they wipe off. But so should all machining aids some of which harden to a film, corrode, rust, tarnish, smell bad etc.

When you're done with a part you clean it up, deburr it, touch up, fettle and tittivate, whatever but you don't leave finished machined parts covered in coolant residues.

Every beneficial thing has downsides, side effects, disadvantages. If Rapid Tap residues after some days of neglect results in an ugly brownish film, it's no big deal. Clean it up and go on with life.

Old Hat
01-24-2015, 11:18 PM
Your skin is an organ.
Avoid extended exposure to compounds that have in them,
agents that seep deep into your skin.

One way to "get on with life".

lakeside53
01-24-2015, 11:24 PM
It hasn't been the "old" rapid for a long time... has none of the good stuff (for tapping) anymore - trichloroethylene

legendboy
01-24-2015, 11:40 PM
smells good but wives do not like :D

Old Hat
01-24-2015, 11:44 PM
In the day, girls liked the smell on a guy, of the cutting oil used in screw-machine shops!

Ya know...... looking back, I may have miss-read that, hmmnnnn?

Screw-machine shop = job. Job = money. Guy with money = upward mobility.

HEY! :mad:

Old Hat
01-24-2015, 11:46 PM
It hasn't been the "old" rapid for a long time... has none of the good stuff (for tapping) anymore - trichloroethylene

trichloroethylene, makes it all the way to your liver.

JoeLee
01-24-2015, 11:47 PM
I still have a small can of the old stuff.

JL................

Axkiker
01-25-2015, 12:09 AM
Okay, so riddle me this. Will the remaining brown finish prevent or cause rust. I dont like the brown finish but it does wipe off, so its not that big of a deal. I however dont want to find that it eventually rusts parts or tooling. If so ill switch to something else.

I havent been using it that long but noticed that my drill chuck and lathe handles turned brown and I couldn't figure out why.

lakeside53
01-25-2015, 01:03 AM
trichloroethylene, makes it all the way to your liver.

Yes, but it hasn't been in Rapid Tap for a decade or more, maybe 2.

lakeside53
01-25-2015, 01:04 AM
Okay, so riddle me this. Will the remaining brown finish prevent or cause rust. I dont like the brown finish but it does wipe off, so its not that big of a deal. I however dont want to find that it eventually rusts parts or tooling. If so ill switch to something else.

I havent been using it that long but noticed that my drill chuck and lathe handles turned brown and I couldn't figure out why.

I use it often. It won't cause rust. Probably won't prevent it any more then a light oil will.

loose nut
01-25-2015, 10:13 AM
I still have a small can of the old stuff.

JL................

Cherish it above all others.

loose nut
01-25-2015, 10:18 AM
When you're done with a part you clean it up, deburr it, touch up, fettle and tittivate, whatever but you don't leave finished machined parts covered in coolant residues.

Don't leave cutting oil, especially water soluble on your machine either, it will stain them.

Old hat, to prevent trichloroethylene, or other harmful chemicals, from getting into your liver you have to keep the liver completely filled with alcohol residue. This will block the liver so new chemicals can't enter.

cameron
01-25-2015, 10:47 AM
I bought Rapid Tap to see what so many people rave about. Not impressed.

I find Ridgid cutting oil works better. It does stink, but not a problem unless I have to wash up and comb my hair and deal with polite society.

For small taps and dies, castor oil works better than either. And just recently, I found that using neat's foot oil results in the lowest threading torque of all.

lakeside53
01-25-2015, 11:54 AM
I think many remember how well it used to work when it has the bad stuff in it... and the word of mouth never dies. I agree about today's stuff - no better than many other products, but I like the smell!

Carld
01-25-2015, 12:01 PM
I prefer the sulfur based cutting oils for most materials. There are some cutting oils best used on high grade or special alloys though.

JoeLee
01-25-2015, 12:09 PM
Cherish it above all others.I only use it for very special jobs. I use the Ridgid cutting oil on all other drilling, cutting and threading jobs.

JL..............

Old Hat
01-25-2015, 12:22 PM
I prefer the sulfur based cutting oils for most materials. There are some cutting oils best used on high grade or special alloys though.

I have to make a living too often drownd in collant doing horizontal work.
I work dry when ever and where ever I can.
So......
Same here for sulfur based for spot-oiling. I also like pastes and solids, Anchor Lube comes to mind.
And the blue stuff, comes in soap-bars or paste. ? AcuLube ?

Alistair Hosie
01-25-2015, 04:06 PM
Maybe your using the new chinese stuff rapid crlap that will acount for the brown staining and sulphurish smell.Makes sense when you think about it. Alistair

flylo
01-25-2015, 05:04 PM
Don't leave cutting oil, especially water soluble on your machine either, it will stain them.

Old hat, to prevent trichloroethylene, or other harmful chemicals, from getting into your liver you have to keep the liver completely filled with alcohol residue. This will block the liver so new chemicals can't enter.

I think you've found the answer:rolleyes:

RWO
01-26-2015, 02:22 PM
It probably was 1,1,1 trichloroethane anyway. It used to be in all the cutting fluids but was banned by the Feds years ago. I used to work in a plant that made it. Millwrights working on a compressor or pump always had a bucket full of it on site for degreasing and general cleaning. It is one of the best degreasers ever made and worked super in a vapor degreaser. Whatever made it a good cutting fluid was kind of a mystery. The machinists all used it straight for hand tapping.

RWO

JRouche
01-26-2015, 03:43 PM
It probably was 1,1,1 trichloroethane anyway.
RWO

YUP. I always thought it was 1,1,1 also. Trichloroethane is not the nasty stuff, trichloroethyleneis. But often gets a bad rap cause folks confuse the two.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1,1,1-Trichloroethane

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichloroethylene

Trichloroethane is one of the best solvents out there for when you want something very clean. Vapor cabinets are an example.

Trichloroethane was banned from production due to its ozone depleting qualities not due to heath issues.

Rapid Tap, made by Relton stopped using 1,1,1 in the early 90's. http://www.relton.com/relton_story.html

Just so happens Relton makes one of my favorite aluminum cutting fluids, "A-9". The one in the green container.

I dont use rapid tap anymore. I use Tap Magic and add my own "magic". I have 30 gallons of 1,1,1. I spice up the Tap Magic with it and lemme tell you!! It works great.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/Jrouche/tric.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Jrouche/media/tric.jpg.html)
I dont pour it on the ground, dont vaporize more than I need and dont let it touch my skin. Oh, and stay outta the fumes just like any other poison.

Dont get me wrong. Its still a poison, but so is gasoline. Thats why I dont drink it :)

More info on 1,1,1. http://www.toxipedia.org/display/toxipedia/Trichloroethylene

One of my favorites for tough stainless steel is Castrol Moly-Dee. Bought a gallon of that. Smelly but once you try it with a really tough metal you will wonder why you weren't using it all along.. JR

Jon Heron
01-26-2015, 05:19 PM
keep the liver completely filled with alcohol residue. This will block the liver so new chemicals can't enter.
I see you have met my Doctor, Dr. Feelgood.... :p
On a serious note that actually is true for methanol poisoning, ethanol is the antidote for methanol poisoning, it blocks the methanol from entering the liver.
Hence why a responsible biodiesel brewer such as myself must imbibe in a brew or two before getting to work on a batch... ;)
Cheers,
Jon