PDA

View Full Version : Is this the Right way to do it?

Old Hat
01-25-2015, 12:24 AM
I love this forum.
It is exemplary of the most common mindsets found in life.
BUT.
In metal working, the only mindset that fosters advancement
is the one where questioning comes before doing.

Some want only one answer to everything.
Others only ask questions, "after the fact".
Some can't seem to come to an awareness that ....
a thing needs no further question this time thru.

I've been following this fellow for some time because I love archery.
He asked damn good questions.... and see where it takes him.
This is how I approach metal-working.
I find a thing that just seems like something's been lost
or lost in the translation. I look deeper into it.
Often this leads to advancement, sometimes even into a new exploration.,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEG-ly9tQGk

Old Hat
01-25-2015, 01:25 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW7BdhOZZ_c&list=WL&index=41

I also try and follow the leads back as far as I can
when I'm wanting to learn about how a process developed.

It looks as if they are heating the wood with the radiate heat from a long fire,
and mopping water onto the wood, no pressure involved as in steaming.
3:19 into it.

darryl
01-25-2015, 03:59 AM
I used to be involved in archery- at one time I was the top in my category in our province. My dad was better than me. We would put on shows and demonstrations. At one point we shared the show with the Irish Rovers, for whatever that's worth- it was fun. No speed shooting though, and very little of the hardware that clutters modern bows.

We had a distance shoot competition at one point, with one guy taking the trophy- he was a bow manufacturer and wanted to train me to go to the olympics in '72.

I kind of wanted to get back into it again, but after attending a shoot one evening I realized that it has become all about the hardware- springs, pulleys, compound this and that, sights- nothing that interests me. As far as I could see, I would have been the only one shooting free style except for the very young.

The Japanese ceremonial shooting was interesting- hard to believe all that about the speed shooting-

Old Hat
01-25-2015, 04:05 AM
I kind of wanted to get back into it again, but after attending a shoot one evening I realized that it has become all about the hardware- springs, pulleys, compound this and that, sights- nothing that interests me. As far as I could see, I would have been the only one shooting free style except for the very young.
-

Just like my trade, all techno, and hocuss pokuss.
I just keep pushing back. If I keep a presence up, promoting human intelligence and skill.
A few may add to it, if not I know I stayed the course.

vpt
01-25-2015, 10:23 AM
I as well have shot archery for many years with my father in a league. Every thursday night was indoor all winter long and then outdoor all summer. 3D, flat paper, broadhead, night shoots, all sorts of fun! I still have all my bows and I am sure all of them would need to be restringed before used again. I as well was top of my league all threw youth, hard to compete with some of the elders once I was bumped into the old guy group. Guys that shot consistent 300's every week, had the best of the best equipment, basically lay the tip of their stabilizers on the target and pull the trigger. Even still I loved every minute of it. Carp shooting is one of my favorite things to do. It is a basics kind of shoot that requires quick shooting of fish in water off a boat.

Friends of mine liked to shoot skeet with bows, I never got into that much because of all the walking to collect arrows that missed the targets. lol