PDA

View Full Version : OT: Question for the car guys...

mklotz
01-25-2015, 01:16 PM
My Toyota Camry displays the outside temperature on the dashboard display.

Where is the sensor located such that it's not influenced by engine heat and slipstream cooling? The only place I can think to put it is inside the rearview mirror housing perhaps?

A.K. Boomer
01-25-2015, 01:24 PM
outside temp is outside temp - really is no "slipstream cooling" unless the sensor gets wet and evaporation takes effect...

in fact if the speed gets extreme it works the opposite and will register higher due to the friction...

Old Hat
01-25-2015, 01:33 PM
I wonder where the neutural point is? Relative air-speed wise.
Right where cooling transition into heating?

fixerdave
01-25-2015, 01:41 PM
The Oracle of Google says "behind the grill, forward of the rad. Drivers side, down by the bumper mount" It probably varies by model year though.

David...

vincemulhollon
01-25-2015, 05:06 PM
Today I learned that some cars have a separate temp sensor for the dashboard and another sensor for the intake air temp sensor between the filter and throttle body usually. I had always thought the dash temp came from the engine computer's idea of the intake temp from the intake temp or combined temp/MAP sensor, at least on non-turbo cars.

Seems a strange way to do things, I mean why install two air temp sensors in the engine compartment, but according to a google search, lots of car companies do this.

Look for A30 on this diagram

http://www.justanswer.com/toyota/4g1nu-toyota-camry-le-ambient-air-temp-sensor.html

I have a yaris which is a cousin of your car, kinda, and I haven't figured out where it's ambient sensor is.

Mark Rand
01-25-2015, 05:34 PM
The engine air intake is pulling in air that's already been past the radiator and over bits of engine. It's likely to be a few degrees warmer than the outside air. Not a problem in most circumstances, but it gets more significant close to freezing point.

vpt
01-25-2015, 06:39 PM
It is that sensor to the right side of the pic in between the grill bars. This is on my ford excursion but this is what most of the outside temp sensors look like.

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/4536/excursion05update009.jpg

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/9537/excursion05update008.jpg

v860rich
01-25-2015, 06:47 PM
My daily driver is a 1951 Ford F1 pickup. I just went out and tried to locate these sensors and was not able to find them.
What gives???
Oh, by the way this is an original vehicle, not been modded in any way!!!

THANX RICH

90LX_Notch
01-25-2015, 07:00 PM
This could be interesting once Marv responds. Should be educational.

-Bob

Puckdropper
01-26-2015, 12:42 AM
My daily driver is a 1951 Ford F1 pickup. I just went out and tried to locate these sensors and was not able to find them.
What gives???

THANX RICH

Rich,

Your outside temperature sensors on that vehicle are located at the end of the backup (as in auxiliary) turn signals. There's also a wind sensor that can be used to judge vehicle speed. (Most modern vehicles don't have THAT!) Just be sure not to signal a left turn at the same time someone coming from the other direction is signaling a left turn. :-)

Puckdropper

Old Hat
01-26-2015, 02:33 AM
What gives???

THANX RICH

IMHO The best looking Truck anyone ever built.
And one of coolest looking Engine ever as well, with the Dual Water-Pumps.
Nearly as beautiful as the 409.

randyjaco
01-26-2015, 07:32 PM
What gives???

THANX RICH

I used to have a 51 F1. You sensor is located at the middle of your left index finger.You have to stick it out of the driver side window. 8^)
Randy

krutch
01-27-2015, 01:50 PM
What gives???

THANX RICH

Keep looking!

mklotz
01-27-2015, 02:50 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Some of them even addressed my question.

I'm taking the car in for servicing tomorrow. I'll try to remember to ask the mechanic where it's located and will report his answer here.

alanganes
01-27-2015, 03:01 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Some of them even addressed my question.

That happens on occasion. Maybe by mistake, even.
All of the meandering keeps the discussion lively, anyhow.

Be curious what you find out.

vpt
01-27-2015, 07:06 PM
I bet its in the front.