PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Advice... Ref. Logan or South Bend or Atlas; Recommend the Best for the $ Buck

HighFly27
01-28-2015, 01:27 PM
Hello All,

I'm new here and need a little advice.

I have 2 lathes that are in storage, but 1400 miles away. I have a nice 10 inch HD South Bend, with lots of tooling. My 2nd lathe is a 16 in. South Bend with lot's of tooling. It's a older lathe and has some issues -- flat belt needs replaced, the back gears are very noisy, carriage clutch is shaky, has had lot's of usage in it's day.

Currently, I'm in the market for another lathe and leaning towards a mid size lathe. My 16 inch South Bend (above) requires repair and not functional and 1400 miles away.

I'm buying this lathe to make -- replacement bushings for heavy duty equipment buckets & arms.

Choice of Lathes with Prices:

1st Choice, Logan 14 inch with 40 inch bed length.

Model No# 6560 H

Specs. -- Spindle nose 2 1/4 8 thread; Spindle bore - 1 3/8; variable speed 50 to 1400; Hardened Bed,

Equipment with Lathe -- has taper attachment, (1) 3 jaw chuck, tool post, a chuck in the tail stock, a few bits, most important...it has a (3) axis digital (2 axis hooked up) read out display; it's not a china, I forgot USA name brand.

Lathe Condition -- Good, reported to have a funky engagement lever when threading or engaging 1/2 nuts, perhaps an adjustment or wear. The On/ Off/ Forward / Reverse Switch is a little bit touchy, needs replacement. It's 3 phase motor and I need to buy a static converter, another $ 150.00. The bed and overall condition of the lathe is clean and not banged up, it shows care over the years. Reported to be a late 50's or early 60's year model.

Price of Lathe -- $ 2,000.00 with 3 jaw chuck, working digital read out and small amount of tooling.

Other Tooling -- $ 500.00, 4 jaw chuck, set of collets but no draw bar, some more tooling -- boring bars, more bits, etc. .

So, basically, the lathe price is --- $ 2,500.00, includes digital read out, a 425 mile trip, one way.

Question -- Was this Logan, Model 6550 H Lathe a good lathe in it's day ???

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________

2nd Choice, South Bend, 16 inch

Model No# 117 E (8 foot bed)

Equipment with Lathe -- has taper attachment, (1) 3 jaw chuck, one (4) jaw, lots of bits, lathe tools -- calibers and like tooling

Lathe Condition -- Fair, reported to be in good condition mechanically and low wear for it's age. This lathe has a cracked stand under the headstock. It has been rough handled to get in place, this happened years ago. It's 220 v, single phase. The lathe is very dirty. I have this same lathe in PA but my lathe is basically worn out.

Price of Lathe -- $ 1,000.00 but it will be a full days work to get out & loaded on my trailer. I have to strip it done to the bed and take it out piece by piece.

So, basically, the lathe price is --- $ 1,000.00 with a lot of work for (2) men to break it down and 350 mile trip, one way.

Question -- I already own a 16 inch South Bend, but my lathe requires several different repair(s). I have a lot tooling already. my belt would slip when doing heavy turning.

I leaning towards the Logan lathe... what are your thought's... buy the Logan or stay with the South Bend ?

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

3rd Choice, Atlas, 10 inch (42 inch bed)

Model No# TV 42

Equipment with Lathe -- (2) 3 jaw chuck(s), one (4) jaw, (2) face plates, lot's & lot's bits & related lathe tools.

Lathe Condition -- Good, mechanically sound, kept under cover and loved over the years. It's 110 V, single phase. it has the Quick Change Gearbox and Timken bearings in the headstock.

Price of Lathe -- $ 800.00, and it's easy to load on my trailer.

So, basically, the lathe price is --- $ 800.00, well equipped, and 250 mile trip, one way.

Question -- This Atlas 10 inch lathe is a equal in size to my South Bend 10 HD in PA. I read about the issues (here) with the not so great (Zmark) gearing to save cost. I need a more powerful motor than a 1/2 HP to take heavier cuts. The OD of the largest bushing that I'm making is about 2 1/2 inches. Also, I may be turning the barrels of hydraulic cylinders in the lathe I buy...so another reason to stay with the 14 or 16 inch lathe choice.

I'm considering the 10 inch Atlas because it closer to me, it's only $ 800.00, in nice shape and well equipped. Once I have these bushing's made, the lathe will set until the next project.

Please, let me know your thought's ?!>. I forgot to ask, if I needed 1/2 nut parts for the Logan 6560 H, are their parts available ? Was the variable speed control in the Logan 6560 H OK.. or NOT, did it have faults ?

I live in Bonifay, FL 32425. If you have, or know of lathe that would fit my needs.. let me know. Two of the lathes I'm looking at are over 325 + miles away.

Thanks in Advance,

Avery

RichR
01-28-2015, 09:48 PM
Hi HighFly27
Welcome to the forum. Since none of the more experienced members have responded, I'll share a few thoughts.

Question -- This Atlas 10 inch lathe is a equal in size to my South Bend 10 HD in PA. I read about the issues (here) with the not so great (Zmark) gearing to save cost. I need a more powerful motor than a 1/2 HP to take heavier cuts.
I have the 54" bed of that lathe and am very happy with it. That said, I suspect it's not the right lathe for what you want to do. I don't know how heavy a cut
you are looking to take, but just putting a bigger motor on a lathe does not automatically increase its cutting capability.

Logan:

Lathe Condition -- Good, reported to have a funky engagement lever when threading or engaging 1/2 nuts, perhaps an adjustment or wear. The On/ Off/ Forward / Reverse Switch is a little bit touchy, needs replacement. It's 3 phase motor and I need to buy a static converter, another $ 150.00. The bed and overall condition of the lathe is clean and not banged up, it shows care over the years. Reported to be a late 50's or early 60's year model.
Forget the static converter, $150 should be pretty close to the price of a VFD. The VFD can also take care of forward/reverse using a small switch plus allow
you to tweak the RPMs if you encounter any chatter. Since you just looking to turn some bushings, you can deal with the threading lever at a later date and
work the carriage manually.

You only need to make the trip once, so I wouldn't make the extra 350 miles round trip too high on the priority list for this decision.
Maybe someone else will chime in with some better advise.

RussZHC
01-28-2015, 10:15 PM
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/tooling-parts-accessories-sale-wanted/need-parts-logan-6560-14-lathe-147493/

based on the linked thread, sounds like Logan parts for that model can be tough to find, expensive if available or you make your own

knowing the size of the bushings you will be making (maximum anyway) is good since it gives an idea of the needed size of lathe in terms of dimensions but then you add in that bit about maybe turning barrels of hydraulic cylinders so that should be taken into consideration.

The lathes under consideration and the prices given cover a wide range so, to me, it is difficult to figure out the determining factor of purchase. If $2000 is the limit, how much would shipping be for the 10" SB you already own?
Got to take into account cost, time and hassle factor.

How many more major population centers does a 425 mile driving radius include that a 250 mile radius does not?
IF Atlanta is within that longer range, I would include the Pratt Whitney as example. But that is just Craig's, bbs members may know of many more nearer...

Gary Paine
01-28-2015, 10:30 PM
I hesitated responding because I have no experience with the Logan or South Bend cited. I think price wise, the Atlas is a good deal if as described. The QCGB jumps price quite a bit, and perhaps rightly so. It would make your parts, but I assume you are buying the machine to make money. If that is the case, you might want to go with the Logan. From this description ( http://www.lathes.co.uk/logan/index.html ), it is easy to tell it is a much heavier duty machine than the Atlas. If you are expecting day in and day out service, you might need the extra durability.
That said, condition is everything. That is a 1950s machine. How much wear and tear will make a considerable difference in utility. If you have to do major work on the machine, do you have the tools that would allow that? If the jobs you will do with the machine will not pay for it, you might want to keep your expense down. You would be getting a lot of lathe for the money with the Atlas. If the bushing run is short, maybe 1/2 HP would be fine. I take roughing of .03 - .04 with my Atlas.

J Tiers
01-28-2015, 10:46 PM
Either the Logan or the S-B will be a good light industrial machine, good for what you want.

I have a 10" Logan, and it is a stout little machine, with all the sorts of features you want, except mine is change gear and doesn't have full power feeds (turning feed is by leadscrew, and not by pickoff from the leadscrew slot). The 14" should have full feeds.It has hardened bed, but not a modern taper mount spindle, which many would have had.

I would have said too expensive, but the taper attachment and readouts make that up, I think, despite lack of tooling. 3 phase is good. Single phase is bad....

S-B sounds like it has some issues, besides being single phase.

The Atlas is a smaller, lighter-built, mainly hobby-oriented machine, which I would stay away from for your purposes.

Among those, the Logan is my preferred unit. Followed by the SB, which you have tooling for.... that's an advantage, but the "issues" may be a problem, if not a minimal as it sounds.

Atlas not in the running.

For the Logan, if that is all he has for $500, let him keep it. A 4 jaw likely won't cost nearly that much..... and the rest you have... 5C collets are cheap if you want them.

flylo
01-28-2015, 11:00 PM
I've had or have all 3 except my Logan is 11" & the same head as the 14". This would be my choice. Mine has the 1-3/8" thru hole with a 5c collet closer, 3 & 4 jaw,etc. I'd also use a VFD.

Gary Paine
01-28-2015, 11:28 PM
If the cylinders you are considering boring are more than maybe 6 inches long, the steady rest will be a necessity whichever you are considering and length of the bed has to be considered for that job as well.

big job
01-29-2015, 06:51 AM
We have two long bed South Bends & and wouldnt trade or sell for anything. period both war babys

HighFly27
01-29-2015, 08:01 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SOUTH-BEND-16-LATHE-with-TAPER-ATTACHMENT-Model-117-E-/151535909160

^^ Above ^^ is the EBay Link for the -- S. B. 16 inch Lathe. This lathe was/ is in a pool hall for over 30 years. The owner used it to recondition pool cues. The lathe has never been maintained or cleaned. They have built in & around this lathe over the years. This lathe will turn out to be ... " the lathe from hell, " to get it out of there (understatement) !!!!!!!!!!!!

However, I own this exact lathe, my lathe does not have the taper attachment. My lathe is worn out but is well equipped; it has the -- steady rest, follower rest, 3 or 4 chucks, 2 face plates, lots of tools and in good shape ref. supporting lathe equipment.

I have a feeling that this pool lathe is not worn out but has been neglected over the years. I'm concerned about how it was beat up to get it in there with the cracked case under the head stock. Since the pool hall has had more construction around it... it will be a nightmare to get it out and loaded up. I'm 66 and not in great health with diabetes issues at hand. I don't think I could handle the struggle of getting this S B Lathe (fully disassembled) out of the pool hall.. no matter what the price $$$.

However, I'm really a South Bend Kind of Guy. I learned on South Bend Lathes in high (1963 to 1966) school and loved it. I have a 10 inch S B in PA (1400 miles away) and it's in very nice condition. My 16 inch S B is the opposite. I bought it with known issues. The back gears were jammed in place, I was able to free them up. I think the back gear bearings are shot... very noisy. The carriage clutch knob is loose on the apron. It would engage but backed off as soon as you engaged it. The bed is well worn from use. This lathe has worked hard over the years & No doubt about it. It needs a new flat belt but I never got one. I used this lathe to polish large diesel crankshafts and it was fine for this job.

Comments about the Logan 6560 H Lathe:

1st of all, thanks for the heads up about poor parts availability on Logan Lathes. When I was talking to the seller, there was a long pause... when he responded to my question... " does it need anything, does it operate A Ok ?? " This is when he told me that it would not be... too good for threading and the like, the half nut lever is funky. Now, I take this half nut engagement problem to be a minor/ major issue. I don't want a lathe that I have problems getting parts for (period). However, I would have loved to had the digital readout from Accu/Rite {spelling) and it was reported to work A Ok.

I've done a internet search, I think I found 3 or 4 Logan 6560 H (currently) lathes on EBay or Craigslist. I was surprised to find that many lathes of the same model number for sale. However, none of the 6560 H's are close me. The parts availability issue is final straw when it comes to laying out $ 2,000 to $ 3,000.00 bucks for a lathe and no parts to repair it if it breaks.

Decisions... decisions, I'm going to look around some more and find a -- S. B. 16 inch lathe like I have. I thought about rebuilding mine too. If the lathe was not so worn in the bed area... I'd consider this rebuild option.

I mentioned the usage for buying a lathe. I have purchased some heavy equipment that needs repairs to the bushings in the buckets and loader arms. One machine will require oversize bushings and non standard to buy over the counter. This machine will require oversize bushing(s) to be made up, along with hydraulic cylinder repairs. The hyd. cyl. diameters are up to 5 inches and 3 ft. long. I should have larger swing lathe with a steady rest to do this work. The lathe will pay for it's self... if I can hone them up & repair them. The replacement cost for these larger hyd. cylinders is about $ 500.00 each.

I know I provided more information then needed. I wanted to give the reader a clearer picture of what my needs are (lathe wise). It would cost me (about) $ 700.00 each to have my two lathes delivered to me in FL. The 16 inch S. B. would be dead on arrival and not that brilliant to have it shipped to FL in the 1st place. Better to buy a 14 to 16 inch lathe that's operating A Ok.

Thanks' a lot,

Avery

jep24601
01-29-2015, 08:27 AM
I've been in the workshop of my local hydraulics shop and they have a really big (really old) lathe for the cylinder honing. I'm not sure any of the lathes you mention will be up to the cylinder work. You could do everything else on those lathes and send the cylinders out for reconditioning.

J Tiers
01-29-2015, 08:27 AM
If you are concerned about parts, I think you are worrying about the wrong thing.

THERE IS POOR PARTS AVAILABILITY ON EVERY SINGLE LATHE IN THE USA TODAY. Poor if you mean expensive and not off-the-shelf. Try buying a part for a Cincinnatti or LeBlond. You can get them, but the price is over the moon..... the supplier specializes in charging several hundred dollars for a bolt, and several thousand for a crossfeed screw. I had a price list at one time, and it has not gotten better since then.

If you discuss the imported chinese machines, they don't even CONSIDER parts when importing them... From china, "parts" are not a part of the deal unless you make it part of the order. You order "machines" and after that, the only way "parts" are available is if they go to the warehouse and strip it off a complete machine.

There is SOME improvement with that, but if the machine is very old, no parts.... Not unless someone "parts out" a machine of identical model and year.

For the imports, changes are made, and no records kept... you have zero idea if the "same" part will work or even fit. Although they often do, they may as easily NOT work or fit.

Honestly, if that's your issue, DO NOT BUY A LATHE. ANY LATHE. I've bought Logan parts, I have MADE Logan parts....What's the big issue? They don't just "break". And there is NO ZAMAK, so that's not an issue.

IN MY OPINION..... You will have the BEST CHANCE of parts with the Logan. Logan is still in business, actively supporting the machines. Slightly less is available for the Powermatic versions, but it is still available. the 6500 series is NOT a Powermatic, per the Logan model number table, so evidently Logan actually made it

http://www.lathe.com/models.htm

Parts store. You need the manual (also available, for $25) to get the part numbers, but you can see there is quite a lot available in terms of feedscrews, feed nuts, gears halfnuts, and other likely wear-sensitive parts to be needed. Not cheap even from them, but nothing like LeBlond pricing.

http://store.lathe.com/

If that EBAY was teh southbend, have a look at the ways in the picture. No oil for decades, the ways are visibly worn, with a "Southbend ridge" that appears to be on the order of 1/16 inch.... it's basically SCRAP METAL unless a big re-building effort is put into it, and even then, it may not be very good.

Rustybolt
01-29-2015, 09:13 AM
Question -- Was this Logan, Model 6550 H Lathe a good lathe in it's day ???

Yes. In It's Day.
A 14 inch logan was not a heavy duty tool room lathe. None of the Logans were. They were a very good low end solution for a shop that needed a lathe and didn't need a lot of bells and whistles.

Now for my advice.
For 2500 dollars you can do a lot better than a Logan. There are used 12 and 13 inch Chinese or Japanese lathes out there that miles better than a Logan. I'm saying this as a guy who uses a 14 inch Logan every day.

HighFly27
01-29-2015, 09:26 AM
3 Tiers and All,

1st of all, Thanks for Your Valued Input. I just called Logan Actuator Co, they have 1/2 nuts in stock for $ 223.75. More important, they have a full inventory for about anything (repair parts) I need for the 6560 H model lathe, if not they can make it. You were right, it just takes money, I will not be stuck with a lathe that I can't find parts for.

I forgot to mention, the Logan 6560 H has a newer Doerr electric motor on it, the lathe looks good (picture wise). I may buy it now, if not, the 10 inch Atlas is close by; I'd buy it on the way home. The Atlas 10 would be Ok for the bushings and resale it.

Thanks' a lot,

Avery

HighFly27
01-29-2015, 09:27 AM
Double Posted, Deleted.

Tony Ennis
01-29-2015, 09:33 AM
If you're seriously considering a 16" SB or a 14" Logan, you will not be happy with the Atlas. I would take a pass on it.

RichR
01-29-2015, 09:38 AM
The Logan is 14" not 10".

flylo
01-29-2015, 10:00 AM
I think the Logan is priced too high, My 11" came with more accessories on a nice cabinet with no problems for $900. I'd show him what the parts cost & offer him $1100 without the 4 jaw. If it doesn't fly there's always another deal another day. Most everyone has an asking price & a buy price & I've learned many ask double what they'll take.

HighFly27
01-29-2015, 10:07 AM
Hello All,

I have found a number of imported (used) lathes for sale and steered away from them. Some of them may be Ok for me but I don't have a way of knowing this. I already know about finding repair parts for imported lathes is a pain. My friend bought one (13 x 36) and could not find repair parts for it; it's still setting in the back of his shop. Also, I'm an American Iron kind of guy. I buy china stuff but not that much and even less when it's electrically powered & has lot's of moving parts.

The Logan looks like it has enough slam to turn out about -- 20 bushings, also, the capacity to turn a 3" to 5" inch hyd. cylinder(s) to hone up the bores. I may only use the lathe for about ten hours and I'm done with it for awhile. I have plans to make an adapter to step down a 2 1/4 hex drive to a 1 1/8 dia. round shaft drive. I need to turn down a different (hex) type auger drive end to use it (adapt) in my 3 point hitch post hole digger.

Thanks'

Avery

Rustybolt
01-29-2015, 12:14 PM
Take a straight edge with you when you go to inspect it. Check for any gaps near the chuck . I suspect that any lathe that has badly worn half nuts has been used pretty hard and maintained indifferently. Check all the handles for backlash and play. Check to be sure that the variable speed transmission has all it's original hardware. You'll know soon enough if the transmission hasn't been maintained because it will rattle like crazy.
Don't let your desire for American Iron to blind you to its flaws. Don't be afraid to walk away.

What broke on your friends lathe that he cannot fix?

mattthemuppet
01-29-2015, 12:37 PM
Why not sell your SB16 up in PA and use that money to fund the shipping of your heavy 10 down to FL? I'd rather spend money getting a lathe I know to me than on a lathe with unknown problems. I'm sure you'd easily be able to get $700 for your SB16 with the tooling that it has.

justanengineer
01-29-2015, 12:43 PM
JMO but unless the SB has a hardened bed the Logan would be the only one even considered but as mentioned the price is seriously high. Personally, if you want a lightweight American machine IMO the two best values on the market were made by Clausing and Sheldon. Theyre usually pretty cheap and are miles ahead of any of the three mentioned.

HighFly27
01-29-2015, 03:55 PM
rustybolt, justanengineer and all,

I think the ways may come out A Ok. I have a pretty good picture of the bed ways and they look A OK. I realize this is not the same as laying a straight edge on them but they look real good, just a few nicks. The lathe is advertised as -- used very little and shows that way too. This deal about the 1/2 nuts being funky... they may be not worn out. However, I took it as the worst case scenario. I'm a little concerned about the -- variable speed gearing. Now, problems there would be a real disaster. I'd be 450 miles away and coming back home with nothing. The 10 inch Atlas would be on my way back home. It's only $ 800.00 and in working order. This Atlas 10 was in a Kawasaki bike shop and had light usage all it life. This lathe was loved all it's life and nice for it's age and well equipped. I found a Atlas 12 ($ 800.00) too, it's close by the Atlas 10 ($ 800.00) and in nice shape too... but not as much tooling.

I had a lengthy conversation with the owner of Logan 5660 H. They value the Logan at $ 800.00 and with the (3) axis digital display... it jumps it up to $ 2,000.00. The digital display is a brand name & late model. It's a Accu-Rite {spelling) and they do run $ 1200.00 bucks and up in the Enco catalog. I asked twice, does the Accu-Rite display display work properly, the reply was 100%. I'm not paying an added $ 500.00 buck for the 4 jaw chuck and a few other misc. tools.

Dumping my S. B. 16 inch lathe is next to impossible for $ 700.00. I live in a rural area in PA and (nearly) no one would have an interest in this old S. B. iron. I had planned on bringing my 10 inch S. B. lathe to FL in March. The machine I'm taking up there is a Case 1838 skid steer. This was a farm machine and the cow poop acid killed the bucket in the back. Also, the lower bushings in the bucket pivot rod ends were destroyed. I just had a bucket liner made up and welding it in. The rest of the skid steer is in great shape and works great too. I was making up new bushings for the skid steer. My biggest job is replacing the bushing's on a -- add-on backhoe I just bought to mount on the Case skid steer. The man that owned this backhoe never owned a grease gun. Some of the bushings are elongated in the bore of the bucket. The little backhoe works sweet other than excessive wear in all the hinge fittings on the -- bucket, stick and boom. Anyway, I needed to have the skid steer fixed prior to dropping it off in PA. I'm bring all my machinery i.e. radial arm drill, bench type milling mach., horizontal milling mach., surface grinder and S B 10 lathe back to FL.

I don't think the seller will come off of the sell price of -- $ 2000.00 bucks for the Logan lathe. I checked around and all the other Logan 6560 H lathes are priced around the $ 2,000.00 dollar mark. They do not have the taper attachment nor the Accu-Rite digital display that works. They did have a full set of tooling with them for $ 2,000.00. I did find (1) Logan 6560 H in TN for $ 1,000.00 bucks but looked like junk.

I did find a Shelton lathe ($1,500.00), but only 10 inch> I found another Logan ($ 1,200.00) 10 inch. Both of them looked good but not quite the lathe size I wanted to be a keeper.

I have until end of Feb. to get this job done and haul my skid steer to PA in March. So, I have about 3 to 4 weeks to find the right lathe and do my work. Since, I need to bring all my machinery to FL from PA; it's not a good $$$ move to just have the S.B. Lathe shipped down here for $ 600.00 bucks when I planned on hauling all my stuff down here in March.

Thanks for the Advice,

Avery

Rex
01-29-2015, 09:06 PM
I'm late to the party, but I've had lathes from Atlas, South bend, and Logan. An Atlas is a hobby lathe, a South Bend has soft ways and plain bearing headstock. A logan has precision ball bearings on the spindle and a hardened bed.

The 12" and 14" a basically the same lathe. I just sold a pristine 12" Powermatic Logan, which is very close to the 14" you are looking at. 11" and below have a very different head and drive system.
In showing it to the buyer, we determined the half-nuts were not locking up solidly. We scratched our heads over it for a while, then determined the half-nuts had worn to the point they barely gripped the leadscrew. On Saturday afternoon I call Logan Actuator. Scott answered the phone, told me he had the halfnuts in stock, $165. They arrived on Tuesday, and solved the problem. What was that about parts not being available???
That lathe sold for $2750, and I had people lined up for it.
The half-nuts were the only worn part on that lathe. Even the leadscrew measured as new, end-to-end.

So if you can buy a 14" in great shape with (telescoping) taper attachment and DROs for $2000, you better jump on it. For the kind of work you described, it is the only one of the 3 I would consider.

HighFly27
01-29-2015, 10:22 PM
Rex & All,

Rex, I closed the deal verbally on the Logan 6560 H for $ 2,000.00. I think the seller is being square with me. The lathe looks great in the pictures, I magnified them X's 200 %. The seller is doing laser design, most of their work is on a milling machine. This lathe was used very little, that's the reason it's being (non use) sold.

I thought they were truthful with me when they described all the faults they could think of... that's when the 1/2 nuts being a little funky came up. Yesterday, I called Regina at Logan Actuator, she priced the 1/2 nuts out @ $ 223.75, part No# LP - 1093. I asked about on-hand stock for other carriage parts, or a lead screw. Logan has them in stock or can make them in short order.

This Logan 6560 should do my little -- 20 bushing job, and spin the 3 to 5 inch hyd. cylinders for honing. I will need a 4 jaw chuck and steady rest for this lathe. I have lot of S. B. tooling (bits, boring bar, centers, tail stock chuck, etc.) from my 16 inch S B in PA.

I see that the Logan spindle is -- 2 1/4 - 8 thread. My older S. B. 16 is quite likely to have the -- 2 1/4 - 6 thread spindle. I read that the later S. B. 16's had 2 1/4 - 8 T. spindles. I will have a friend check my S.B 16 to see if it's the 2 1/4 - 6 T. or the later style 2 1/4 - 8 T. It will be my luck that I have the 2 1/4 - 6 T. If I have the later style (2 1/4 - 8) spindle nose... then I'd have (3) chucks, 2 face plates, etc. . I don't know how difficult it would be to modify the base of my S. B. steady rest. I remember that it was 2 part base and had a riser block attached to the bottom of the steady rest.

Thanks for the Logan Info., I think I'll be Ok with this Logan buy f@ $ 2K. I think the seller had it about right -- $ 800.00 for the lathe, $ 1200 for the late model Accu-Rite DRO.

Thanks',

Avery

Rex
01-29-2015, 10:47 PM
I'll bet both lathes are 2-1/4-8. That was a very popular size for SB, Logan, imports. My 1985 Enco 10" had that spindle, as adoes my Grizzly 12x37 (2007).
You might find that it runs a bit "bumpy" as those big drive belts take a set if they aren't used regularly. I have never seen it cause issues with the work though.

I would have thought your 14 would use the same half-nuts as my 12" - at the same price.

Around here, that Logan without DRO would get $2000 in a heartbeat. Florida market is about the same I think, so you should be able to make a profit when you get done with your job. If not, drop it off here when you are done with it :)

Good luck to you.

Rex

thaiguzzi
01-29-2015, 11:57 PM
1400 miles = 2 days driving, 4 days there and back. Grab a strong buddy, neccessary tools and make a road adventure and bring your old stuff back home.

HighFly27
01-30-2015, 12:46 AM
thaiguzzi,

I hate long trips, lots of stops to the bathroom. I have limited feeling in my (advanced diabetes) feet. My son (19) drives most of the time. I get a little nervous when he's driving. He gets tired (easily) and makes mistakes and dangerous when we pull a trailer. Also, if you read my post above... I'm taking a skid steer up to PA in March. I need the lathe now and it will cost $ 600.00 in fuel money to go up to PA & return it to FL.

My S. B. - 16 Lathe is worn out and needs several repairs. The bed is really worn too. I used it to polish big diesel cranks and it's fine for that job. My S. B. 10 HD is a fine lathe and would do the bushing job A OK. It will not handle the larger hyd. cyl. honing; nor the trimming of the hyd. cyl. barrels ends where a hammer mechanic (nearly) wrecked them.

I've been (sort of) looking for an updated mid sized lathe for awhile. I just got a good excuse to actually buy one. I've committed to buying the Logan - 14 lathe today. The $ 2 K I'm paying is not hurting my pocket book. Now, It appears that some of my S B-16 lathe tooling -- chucks, faceplates, etc. will fit the Logan lathe spindle (2 1/4 - 8). I'll have what I need for now to be sent down (4 jaw chuck) down to FL. I need the 4 jaw to do the Hyd. Cyl's. . I'll deliver the repaired skid steer to PA in March. I'm bringing all my machine's i.e. radial arm drill, horizontal mill, bench mill, surface grinder & S B 10, etc. on the back haul back to FL.

I could not take a (2) long trips to PA with my son's driving. He's like most young people...he becomes distracted, etc. . Sometimes, I could kill him, hopefully he won't kill us on the trip with his lackadaisical driving. He's not quite as bad as I've portrayed ... but he needs some (real) improvement to be a safe driver.

Avery

thaiguzzi
01-31-2015, 12:01 AM
Well sorted then.