PDA

View Full Version : Anger management.

Rustybolt
01-29-2015, 09:20 AM
We work with inanimate objects.
It serves no purpose to get angry with them.
Swear at them.
Beat them.
Or throw them on the ground.
I have never understood people who, rather than try and figure out why something doesn't work, choose to yell and swear and throw tools around.

ZINOM
01-29-2015, 09:36 AM
To release frustration.

John

Black_Moons
01-29-2015, 11:04 AM
heh.. I was once at a metal shop buying some stock... Boss got sick of his tape measure acting up and threw it across the shop aiming up at the ceiling, it shattering on impact.. He told me he goes through a lot of tape measures...

dp
01-29-2015, 11:17 AM
Sometimes you just have to verbalize your frustrations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkYN8IZRT-w <-- Not workplace safe (language)

Prokop
01-29-2015, 11:20 AM
Swear at them.
Beat them.
I have never understood people who, rather than try and figure out why something doesn't work, choose to yell and swear and throw tools around.

The car shop owner I worked for for a while was like that. We were not into the car for 10 minutes and he was already F the car, F the job, F the tools, F the heat/cold. He never used cutting oil on taps and guess what, it was always F job when he broke one.

He was just that kind of F guy with 0 patience.

peekaboobus
01-29-2015, 11:26 AM
They are doing the wrong thing.

For me, machining is very relaxing actually. The complete opposite.

rws
01-29-2015, 11:27 AM
My brother was terrible. He would get so pissed so quick. I would tell him he had to be smarter than what he was working on, and that would set him off!

Black Forest
01-29-2015, 11:34 AM
Swear at them.
Beat them.

The same reason lots of people say something like, "the stupid tractor wouldn't start." Tractors can't be stupid. A tractor is an inanimate object. Only tractor owners can be stupid.

Frustration is the sign of not knowing how to solve a problem. People that yell, swear and throw things or fits will not be tolerated by me. They either got fired or told to leave the property if they were not an employee. No room for that behavior around me. Sure the occasional "sh!t" or damn is one thing but to rant and rave, no way.

Swearing is a sign of weakness in my mind and a lack of education. It adds nothing to the conversation nor helps to make a point.

Old Hat
01-29-2015, 11:40 AM
This is a no brainer!

We ain't cattle, or a flock of geese.
We're people, possibly the single most varied species on the planet.

If a man looses his temper, and (to appearances) makes an ass of him self.....
.... it tells me there's some fire in him.

I've seen individuals capable of things that 99% of their peers can't even hope
to be able to do, fly off the handle. I figure, this overreaction, may be a measure
of the intensity and passion with which he approaches his work.

I've seen individuals capable of things that 99% of their peers can't even hope
to be able to do, that are immovable. Literally nothing can shake them.
I figure, this lack of reaction, may be a measure of his devotion to remain
affixed at all times, regardless of circumstances. I look forward to an opportunity
to work along side either Man.

Both men have their limitations! I believe I'm actually more at ease with the first man.
Because, ain't a man been born, that don't have cracks in his armor.
And that calm "rock solid" individual has a vulnerable spot somewhere, be sure of it.
...... And I'd prefer not to finally see it in the heat of battle.

kendall
01-29-2015, 11:55 AM
Swear at them.
Beat them.

This is why I always have several unrelated projects going. I get too involved in what I'm doing and I have learned to work on something else before I start getting too frustrated.
I've found I get things done faster and better by walking away than by sticking with it when I'm upset/frustrated. I never was one to throw things though, things get expensive.

dp
01-29-2015, 11:59 AM
Years ago I was a student at Orange Coast College in Costa Mesa, California. They had several handball courts that had been overrun by racketball players which is an aside, but one day a racket ball player was having a really bad day on the court and verbalized his frustration by frequently grabbing his baseball cap and throwing it on the ground accompanied by epithets as to the intelligence of the hat thusly: "stupid hat!". Then he'd pick it up and put it on again. Later it was my turn to play him and I won the game, tossed down my racket and started playing handball with my buddy. It was the only way we could get a court, and since we were never challenged, it was our court for as long as we wished to play :)

Old Hat
I overheard a conversation like this among a handfull of factory women.
I was quietly repairing a machine near them.

Boy they can teach us a thing or two.
Basicly they boiled it down to truth.

If we all had word balloons over our heads, for all to see.......
...... The world would be a bit simpler place to live in.

lakeside53
A buddy of mine works on chainsaws... when a customer asked him why he didn't work on "real" engines, he said "'cos I can't pick them up and throw them across the room".

I don't throw things.. but I do cuss a lot. Seems to help. The wife thinks I only cuss when she's watching, but she's wrong. lol

John Stevenson
01-29-2015, 12:01 PM
Swearing is a sign of weakness in my mind and a lack of education. It adds nothing to the conversation nor helps to make a point.

Bollocks..................

Old Hat
01-29-2015, 12:01 PM
Frustration is the sign of not knowing how to solve a problem. .

My God..... you really manage sometimes don't you.

shoot me a PM, if ever you decide to take up the Bow......
... gonna stand in front of you, to reduce the chances of being hit.

dp
01-29-2015, 12:03 PM
Bollocks..................

So British at so many levels :)

tlfamm
01-29-2015, 12:09 PM

What else would one expect from John Stevenson, OBE?

Order of Bridgeport Enthusiasts :)

justanengineer
01-29-2015, 12:28 PM
JMO but I wont work with, drink with, or be a customer of someone who I know becomes that way. Ive known many of that type and they rarely do anything but crap work which degrades to absolute bs when frustrated. The last thing I need is a mechanic, machinist, or other to screw up the thousands Ive invested in something bc they got pissy and something was "good enuff."

Swearing is one thing. So is tossing a tool or other object to mess with a coworker or play pranks. Its quite another when folks are supposed to be working.

A.K. Boomer
01-29-2015, 12:45 PM
For the most part I bet about 95% of the time I seem to have allot of patients - and things generally go pretty good.

however - certain situations dictate that this is not always the case, it's usually a series of multi-clusterfuque's that make me have to take a step back and then say some profanities - then things do escalate in a hurry if they continue screwing up...
first off starts out a little innocent with calling something an insignificant POS...
then without too much effort goes into insulting Jesus, then If that don't work I'll take it up with God himself,,, if that don't work things may start to get "pitched" around the shop, and if that don't work things can get tossed with a fair amount of gusto - on great occasion iv been known to put a hole in a wall, if that ever happens I have to catch myself before I put another one in,,, you know - just typical normal stuff...

John Stevenson
01-29-2015, 12:46 PM
What else would one expect from John Stevenson, OBE?

Order of Bridgeport Enthusiasts :)

George ?

George?

George?

Can you delete this post please :p

Old Hat
01-29-2015, 12:53 PM
I like to have a friendly circle of discussion.
See how calm they all are... beautiful isn't it.
http://loriunderwoodtherapy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Group-Therapy-San-Diego.jpg

Rustybolt
01-29-2015, 01:09 PM
I brought this up because I sometimes work with the companys maintenance mechanic. He is a lot like Prokps example. Every other word out of his mouth is the F bomb. When frustrated he begins talking to himself. Then yelling. Then throwing things. Like most of you when faced with frustration over a job, I just push it away for awhile and do something else until I can come up with a solution.
I have concluded because of this and other things that the companys maintenance mechanic is mentally deficient.
I have also concluded that I don't like working with mentaly deficient people.

Old Hat
01-29-2015, 01:22 PM
Throwing things, yeah that's bad.
I'm on board with that.

A good mechanic can see in the carnage, what and who caused it.
He gets a daily dose of the workings of.... mentally deficient people.

RPM22
01-29-2015, 03:23 PM
I was fortunate to learn about this at a young age, 8 years old. I had an old bike that needed an adjustment on the back wheel, and it had a very sophisticated system for doing this. This was my first ever mechanical problem, and after about half an hour of not figuring it out, and failing several times at the adjustment, i totally lost it and beat the crap out of the small adjustment nut (5/16"AF) with my adjustable wrench. It only took perhaps thirty seconds for me to realise that 1. I still needed to make the adjustment, and 2. I had completely buggered up the nut, leaving no way to get it off with the tools I had, and 3. it was getting dark and starting to rain, and I was a long way from home...

Some lesson, but well learned - I now have an inexhaustible well of patience which drives others around me crazy :-) Of course I have to swear when things get difficult, I'm still human ...
Richard in Los Angeles

RussZHC
01-29-2015, 03:27 PM
Swear at them.
Beat them.

but they can't fire you for doing that...you can't do those things to people (OK, 2 shouldn'ts and a don't)

goose
01-29-2015, 03:28 PM
Tools, tooling, materials, - they're all subject to beatings at my shop. They know when I'm in a bad mood and have the scars to remind them of thrashings received in the days, weeks, years past.

boslab
01-29-2015, 03:30 PM
There is only one thing I like less than tantrums and that's deliberate damage, I've seen loads of machines wilfully broken by bored operators, never ceases to amaze me why someone would take a hacksaw to a new lathe bed? Deficient is right
Mark

Dave P.
01-29-2015, 03:39 PM
Swear at them.
Beat them.

You're right, it serves no good purpose.....that's why I still play hockey!
Dave

tlfamm
01-29-2015, 03:42 PM
George ?

George?

George?

Can you delete this post please :p

Steady on, Lad - cod liver oil ain't so bad once you get past the first swallow ... :)

A.K. Boomer
01-29-2015, 03:52 PM
Tools, tooling, materials, - they're all subject to beatings at my shop. They know when I'm in a bad mood and have the scars to remind them of thrashings received in the days, weeks, years past.

Absolutely - my tools go through hell, much of this type of anger is extremely useful if you know how to harness it - it's my prime mover for getting things off like stuck Subie crank bolts...

rule #1 is never let it go to any kind of abuse to what your working on - unless you own it - then that's your choice,,,
rule #2 is if you ever work with others or a customer is over or even neighbors are within hearing distance then change your tune, that kinda thing is tough to be around for other people, I do not like to be around it at all. so I don't put others through it.

that being said - I work alone and for the most part nobody else is around for quite a distance, so sometimes I really get to enjoy myself that way :p

Alistair Hosie
01-29-2015, 03:59 PM
Black Forest I simply don't believe a word you say.I mean seriously B F look at a lot of your posts where you lose it with people and start the riot act at them for no good reason.You have displayed a very bad temperament, with many here inc, me time, and time again.So your words are in your last reply actually laughable and contrary to the truth.I believe you are quite a decent guy and am not being nasty with you, but you really do have anger management problems IMHO . This manifests itself when you often show many signs of intollerence to others and make nasty comments to them,sorry and sad but true.Alistair

Paul Alciatore
01-29-2015, 04:15 PM
Boy you got that right. Working with complicated electronic equipment I learned that patience is everything. There were instances where I had to hook up oscilloscopes to the troublesome equipment and leave a note on it asking someone to record what the scope showed WHEN it acted up. It literally took WEEKS to find the cause of some of these intermittent problems.

Cussing and throwing things, as some of my co-workers did, was completely useless. PATIENCE and at least some knowledge of what is happening and may be going wrong.

I was fortunate to learn about this at a young age, 8 years old. I had an old bike that needed an adjustment on the back wheel, and it had a very sophisticated system for doing this. This was my first ever mechanical problem, and after about half an hour of not figuring it out, and failing several times at the adjustment, i totally lost it and beat the crap out of the small adjustment nut (5/16"AF) with my adjustable wrench. It only took perhaps thirty seconds for me to realise that 1. I still needed to make the adjustment, and 2. I had completely buggered up the nut, leaving no way to get it off with the tools I had, and 3. it was getting dark and starting to rain, and I was a long way from home...

Some lesson, but well learned - I now have an inexhaustible well of patience which drives others around me crazy :-) Of course I have to swear when things get difficult, I'm still human ...
Richard in Los Angeles

firbikrhd1
01-29-2015, 04:22 PM
Probably almost everyone, including myself, has been frustrated and cursed or thrown something at least once in their lives. Someone here said it's a sign of lack of intelligence, and I might agree if a given individual does it continuously. On the other hand, the more intelligent among us learn from our mistakes. It only takes attempting to repair the damage done in one fit of rage for most people to realize the eventual outcome next time they feel frustration building. At that point they stop, walk away and cool off then come back at the issue with a fresh mindset.
For those who cannot seem to control their frustrations, I'd much rather see them throw a tool or curse than go postal and beat or kill someone nearby. If tossing a tool or cursing is what it takes to relieve that stress the outcome isn't nearly as bad as someone that keeps their frustrations pent up until they can no longer control themselves. The resulting explosion has caused far more damage to humanity than a broken tool or damaged workpiece. Those things can be repaired or replaced, lives can't.

HWooldridge
01-29-2015, 04:30 PM
About 30 years ago, I was welding up a custom truck rack one day (headache rack) when the wife came out to talk. Distracted, I promptly turned one leg around so it was an "S" instead of an "A", tacked it all in place and welded up the entire seam (she was standing behind a wall away from the arc flash). I lifted the helmet and noticed the monstrous mistake; with a bellow heard across Texas, I tossed the rack through a window in the shop. She promptly turned and walked back inside the house.

We learned two things that day - she never chats with me while I work and I became a skilled glazier. In addition, after replacing the window, I obviously had to cut the rack apart and fix the mistake.

I still have the rack today and it's installed on its fourth truck, and we are still married...but I 've stopped tossing stuff in fits of anger. Too much bad karma.

Seastar
01-29-2015, 04:47 PM
I only cuss and throw things at PEOPLE not inanimate objects.
Much more satisfying when you can draw blood.
Bill

Black Forest
01-29-2015, 04:52 PM
Black Forest I simply don't believe a word you say.I mean seriously B F look at a lot of your posts where you lose it with people and start the riot act at them for no good reason.You have displayed a very bad temperament, with many here inc, me time, and time again.So your words are in your last reply actually laughable and contrary to the truth.I believe you are quite a decent guy and am not being nasty with you, but you really do have anger management problems IMHO . This manifests itself when you often show many signs of intollerence to others and make nasty comments to them,sorry and sad but true.Alistair

I do not rant and rave. I very calmly tell weirdo's like you what I think. No riot act as you say. Just me telling it how I see it. Could be I am not right in my opinion but I am not mad or screaming and cussing.

Bull**** on your anger mangement. Go take a fücking hike you pervert!:cool: Jesus H Christ what a pansy ass you are. The swearing in this post did nothing to improve my message. It only brought me down to your pathetic level.

Being serious now. Some of us are not candy ass wimps and do speak our minds. Just because you don't have strong opinions and are a drizzling, whining ass kisser don't try to bring me down to your level. I have no anger management problems. You just have some inferiority complex problems that are probably well founded and get intimidated by real men that have the guts to speak their mind. I don't need to be angry to tell you what I think of you! Your IMHO means nothing to me.

John Stevenson
01-29-2015, 05:05 PM
That's better BF.
There's anger and then there's managment and we all know what we think of managers <G> :o

Black Forest
01-29-2015, 05:08 PM
That's better BF.
There's anger and then there's managment and we all know what we think of managers <G> :o

Thank you Sir John. Why don't you and your lady friend come for a visit. You don't even have to look at a horse! There is plenty of room here and the food is great.

oldtiffie
01-29-2015, 06:23 PM
Distraction can be as bad as "anger" in a shop.

PStechPaul
01-29-2015, 07:13 PM
I like to have a friendly circle of discussion.
See how calm they all are... beautiful isn't it.
http://loriunderwoodtherapy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Group-Therapy-San-Diego.jpg

All we need is Clint Eastwood in the middle, arguing with all those invisible Obamas.

I rarely get angry or curse. Maybe a "damn" once in a while, and that may be in anger or frustration, or in awe of something (then pronounced day-amm). I don't think I ever got mad at an inanimate object - frustrated perhaps - but anger and inflicting damage are just useless, inappropriate, and IMHO, immature. When dealing with a difficult person, I sometimes feel anger building up, and it just makes me shake and feel frustrated, and I have a hard time "letting go" of the emotion. It helps to do something physical, like splitting firewood with a maul. I used to play volleyball regularly, and that was a healthy way to relieve tension.

I feel a certain attachment to "things", and I feel bad when something is damaged, broken, or destroyed. I have been known to become angry when someone has purposely done damage to something I own. When I was in my early teens, I had made a "go-cart" using four spoked wheels I salvaged from a discarded baby carriage, and I was very proud of it. I had it in the yard of a friend, and somehow we must have gotten into an argument, or perhaps he was just jealous, and after I had left for a while and returned, I found that he had sawed deep notches in each of the tires. I became very angry, but internalized it, and a short time later I went into his yard and cut down his mother's clotheslines. I don't know why I redirected my anger in that way, but I may have been afraid to punch him in the nose or otherwise have a physical confrontation.

In Junior High School, grades 7-9, I was often bullied on the playground, and at one point someone was coming at me to mess with me, and I took out a small pen-knife. He continued to advance as I backed up a hill, and I stabbed at him several times before he finally backed off, and fortunately he was wearing a thick coat and he was not injured. That was in the early 60s, and really was no big deal, and probably wasn't even reported. But these days, it would be a major incident. I suppose I might still have the tendency to do something violent if I were sufficiently provoked, but I haven't been even close to such frustration and anger for most of my adult life.

Just don't push me too far! :mad:

Gary Paine
01-29-2015, 08:09 PM
I had a chemistry professor that could be counted on to throw an eraser at someone at least a couple times a semester. There was always chalk dust on the floor. Not such a good class to sleep in.

AD5MB
01-29-2015, 09:17 PM
temper tantrums are theater. performed for an audience. don't be the actor, don't be the audience. stone face, no reaction, you're just talking to the sky.

ulav8r
01-29-2015, 09:25 PM
George ?

George?

George?

Can you delete post 20 please :p

velocette
01-29-2015, 09:34 PM
Been fixing mending repairing for over three score years and ten and never yet have I seen anyone who could get mad at a job and that fixed it properly.
You are the one that is unable to take charge of your actions and thought processes so no inanimate object can MAKE you angry it comes from within your inner self.
Take ownership of yourself and your actions first and channel a positive outlook.
Fix the problem not just blame someone or something.
It is known as farming scapegoats.

Eric

darryl
01-29-2015, 10:22 PM
No, I've never seen mad fix a problem. I do tend to use cuss words a lot, but then I think I actually like to. I just do my thing, hoping for an opportunity to swear. It brings to my mind images of people I know or have known who cuss for various reasons, and I fondly remember them.

I also use it as a cue to change direction, take a look from another angle- it's easy to get tracked into a rut during troubleshooting, getting through a design or fabrication issue, etc. I don't get mad, and I don't get frustrated as often as I used to. I'm reminded of a phrase or saying that plane crash investigators sometimes bring up- if you've exhausted all the possible reasons why the accident happened, then the real reason is something else- something like that anyway. Meaning that if your repeated hammering doesn't result in the peg going in the hole, then maybe the peg is too large or the hole too small. It doesn't mean the hammer is not heavy enough.

Of course the peg could still be fondly referred to as a 'f-in thing, or piece of ****e, or you could still ask a deity to condemn it, or suggest that Jesus is the female parent of God as my newfie friend seems to be fond of doing- but you must do any of these things with a smile on your face. Throwing things is a step or two beyond any of this, and is not to be tolerated. I know people who do this, and I don't like how I feel when I see it- and if a simple verbalization is a tantrum, that also is not to be tolerated.

becksmachine
01-29-2015, 11:19 PM
I do not rant and rave. I very calmly tell weirdo's like you what I think. No riot act as you say. Just me telling it how I see it. Could be I am not right in my opinion but I am not mad or screaming and cussing.

Bull**** on your anger mangement. Go take a fücking hike you pervert!:cool: Jesus H Christ what a pansy ass you are. The swearing in this post did nothing to improve my message. It only brought me down to your pathetic level.

Being serious now. Some of us are not candy ass wimps and do speak our minds. Just because you don't have strong opinions and are a drizzling, whining ass kisser don't try to bring me down to your level. I have no anger management problems. You just have some inferiority complex problems that are probably well founded and get intimidated by real men that have the guts to speak their mind. I don't need to be angry to tell you what I think of you! Your IMHO means nothing to me.

Hmm, I think that was uncalled for. Geez BF, did you run out of chocolate or something? :confused:
Dave

Blackfoot
01-29-2015, 11:22 PM
Long ago, I hired a guy to become part of our maintenance dept. He had a lot of automotive experience but not much shop experience. He did seem to learn fast. One Saturday morning, I was walking through the factory and I heard a bang from a direction where there was nobody working. Everything was shut down and a few guys were taking care of some maintenance work. Somebody told me that what I heard was from the new guy throwing something across the room.....about 60 feet. I went over and asked the new guy if he had thrown something. He said he was really pissed about what he was working on not going well and sometimes he got so mad he threw stuff. I told him if he EVER threw anything inside that building again, I would fire him. I told him I would not tolerate it under any circumstance. He assured me it would not happen again.

My first job was in a gas station. I was 15 and I worked there Saturdays. One day a customer stopped by, he was driving his pick-up....what was left of it. He got all pissed off about something the day before, got drunk, and rolled his truck. He did remodeling work. He needed the truck.

The boss said to me "You gotta be really rich to have a temper." I told him I didn't understand. He just said "Think about it". I did think about it lots of times. He was right.

Back to the new guy.....30+ years later. New guy learned a lot and was now a journeyman electrician. Business was good and we were expanding. We bought a building and we needed lots more lights everywhere. New guy was on a work platform up near 30 ft. putting 4" square electrical boxes up to power the new lights. He was attaching them with "Tek" screws to the roof trusses. He had a helper on the floor doing other stuff. I had stopped by to see how things were going. This was a 30,000 sq. ft. building, mostly open space. I was near one end, new guy was near the other end. It was pretty quiet. Then I heard "SON OF A BITCH" and something hit the floor. I see the new guy on the platform. He has one hand up high and he's kinda doing a dance. I walked over and saw a "screw gun" on the floor about 20 feet from the lift platform.

I seems new guy was holding a box with his fingers behind it. He screwed the box to the truss with his fingers between the box and the truss. It hurt like hell so he threw the screw gun......it was now on the floor at least 50 ft from him. His fingers are being crushed. He's up there alone. He can not reach anything. There are no ladders in the building other than step ladders. Lucky for him, the screw gun still worked and his helper was able to climb up the rig and get his hand freed.

I made him take it to a Med Station and get it checked. Nothing was broken but he couldn't use that hand much for a few weeks.
He told me he had a lot of time to think while he was waiting to be rescued. He said his anger issues were not ever going to be a problem again. He had finally noticed how incredibly stupid he had been. I think he was cured.

Black Forest
01-30-2015, 01:14 AM
Long ago, I hired a guy to become part of our maintenance dept. He had a lot of automotive experience but not much shop experience. He did seem to learn fast. One Saturday morning, I was walking through the factory and I heard a bang from a direction where there was nobody working. Everything was shut down and a few guys were taking care of some maintenance work. Somebody told me that what I heard was from the new guy throwing something across the room.....about 60 feet. I went over and asked the new guy if he had thrown something. He said he was really pissed about what he was working on not going well and sometimes he got so mad he threw stuff. I told him if he EVER threw anything inside that building again, I would fire him. I told him I would not tolerate it under any circumstance. He assured me it would not happen again.

My first job was in a gas station. I was 15 and I worked there Saturdays. One day a customer stopped by, he was driving his pick-up....what was left of it. He got all pissed off about something the day before, got drunk, and rolled his truck. He did remodeling work. He needed the truck.

The boss said to me "You gotta be really rich to have a temper." I told him I didn't understand. He just said "Think about it". I did think about it lots of times. He was right.

Back to the new guy.....30+ years later. New guy learned a lot and was now a journeyman electrician. Business was good and we were expanding. We bought a building and we needed lots more lights everywhere. New guy was on a work platform up near 30 ft. putting 4" square electrical boxes up to power the new lights. He was attaching them with "Tek" screws to the roof trusses. He had a helper on the floor doing other stuff. I had stopped by to see how things were going. This was a 30,000 sq. ft. building, mostly open space. I was near one end, new guy was near the other end. It was pretty quiet. Then I heard "SON OF A BITCH" and something hit the floor. I see the new guy on the platform. He has one hand up high and he's kinda doing a dance. I walked over and saw a "screw gun" on the floor about 20 feet from the lift platform.

I seems new guy was holding a box with his fingers behind it. He screwed the box to the truss with his fingers between the box and the truss. It hurt like hell so he threw the screw gun......it was now on the floor at least 50 ft from him. His fingers are being crushed. He's up there alone. He can not reach anything. There are no ladders in the building other than step ladders. Lucky for him, the screw gun still worked and his helper was able to climb up the rig and get his hand freed.

I made him take it to a Med Station and get it checked. Nothing was broken but he couldn't use that hand much for a few weeks.
He told me he had a lot of time to think while he was waiting to be rescued. He said his anger issues were not ever going to be a problem again. He had finally noticed how incredibly stupid he had been. I think he was cured.

I thought you were going to say you fired him. That you had warned him if he did it again you would fire him.

Old Hat
01-30-2015, 02:31 AM
Hmm, I think that was uncalled for. Geez BF, did you run out of chocolate or something? :confused:
Dave

I think it's pretty obvious by now, that Forest the Bruce, is a farce to be reconned with.
Probably honest as the day is long thO'......

Nearly all the really skilled back-stabbings and screw-jobs I've had to deal with
came from quiet, seemingly peaceful low profile types.

Georgineer
01-30-2015, 05:43 AM
George ?

George?

George?

Can you delete post 20 please :p

Nope.

George

boslab
01-30-2015, 05:53 AM
Thank you Sir John. Why don't you and your lady friend come for a visit. You don't even have to look at a horse! There is plenty of room here and the food is great.
Horses are food over ere, well I suppose the sweany Todd pie being an exception, people taste like pork, I know they smell like roast pork, my mate murphy got a boot full of molten steel, cooked his foot off, well his toes, we hot his boot off and threw it but it stunk like roast pork, up above the ladle man came on the radio and asked if we were treating murphys foot with Apple sauce.

road
01-30-2015, 08:37 AM
Reading over this thread reminds myself of a situation in one of my first factory jobs.
I ( 20 yrs old ) was one of 3 new junior machine operators. Blow - molding plastic bottles.
The factory was full of line workers, operators, electricians etc...

About 6-8 months later, one of the senior operators, ( lets call him John) was doing a change over to a new set up with the help of a junior operator ( lets call him Bruce ).
Things were not going so well , John was know for his temper and tossing his tools.
I was working on my machine adjustments a few stations away and the shift was going well for me.

A few hours go by with a lot of cussing and some Drama. The foreman spoke with John about the attitude. This made things worse.

After the foreman's "meeting" with John, John was sent to work in another department for the remainder of the shift.
Bruce continued to work on the set-up with another operator.
Suddenly every one heard a long series of curse words with a loud bang. Then a ladies Scream

Bruce had learned the wrong way to "express his frustrations " weather it was directly from John or some where else in his life.

Bruce had threw a 3 ft pry bar across the plant . The ladies scream, was from when she was impaled in the back by said pry bar.

By the end of that shift,
with the police , fire and ambulance in the plant.
John was terminated,
Bruce was terminated, charged with assault
The lady was in emergency surgery,

I learned a lesson.

The lady happened to be an innocent bystander just doing her job.
She survived and returned to work in a year.

I continued to work there for 13 years.

MrFluffy
01-30-2015, 09:53 AM
I confess I have a proper temper when Im in the wrong mood, which happens very very rarely.
I never loose my cool at work, its when I am working on something myself and bad things happen . A angle grinder catches fire in use, I take great perverse pleasure in throwing it into the scrap pile with a magestic still burning smokey arc trail where it gets left outside in the rain for a while to make sure its dead and I never have to suffer it again. If I'm in a really foul mood I may beat it to a pulp first with a large hammer. Once, I had a van loose its cambelt, every single valve and camshafts broken, head ruined, the rest of the van had loads of problems too and frankly had been a nightmare the entire ownership. I took a large angle grinder and there and then after surveying the mess & physically cut the parts I wanted to save not even bothering with bolts or fasteners, then dug a massive hole in a field and pushed it in and rammed the bucket down then backfilled it. The field still has a odd lump there and oddly I still get a weird satisfaction from the act even though I know I was one up on a inanimate object.

I think I'm really making sure I remove a source of frustration once and for all. I've never thrown things where they could hit people or objects I want.
I have got a stinker of a irrational temper though. Mostly because of the environment I work in I can stay calm whatever someone says or does but It escapes out of its hiding place about once a year and I can feel it happening and have to be away from people until it has passed. My wife knows this and she will leave me be too. Its just part of how I am wired I am afraid.

Old Hat
01-30-2015, 10:52 AM
We all have a responsibility to remain in control, and doubly so when around others.
Anger is a legitimate response to escalating levels of trouble.
For me, and others like me, it's further intensified by the knowledge
that the one who needlessly caused the mess will never even suffer
a twinge of remorse. (in those kind of cases).

Acting foolishly and causing danger, or causing others nearby to be upset
is not legitimate activity. But, I have difficulty trusting those who
claim to have achieved some lofty ability, to remain always angelic
in face of circumstances that are or have melted down.

I've been around long enuff to here about some of these type's
"off camera" behavior.

BigMike782
01-30-2015, 11:32 AM
My Dad was a very talented person and could fix or build about anything he wanted but he was also a very controlling person and had a fairly short temper. I have spent my entire adult life trying to identify when I am being my Fathers Son and STOP.......it's hard but I try.
I have learned, with time, that throwing things makes me feel good for about two seconds and then it sets in what a stupid thing that was to do and what it cost me both in broken/damaged widget I'm working on and also the cost to my mental well being.

One instance that will live with me forever is the day my Dad was finishing a cabinet for Mom. It was raw pine and he was spraying laquer. It was a humid day and he was having trouble with it blushing. He tired a number of times and finally put the spray gun down and went in the garage. A minute later he came out with an axe and smashed the cabinet into pieces.

Black Forest
01-30-2015, 12:09 PM
We all have a responsibility to remain in control, and doubly so when around others.
Anger is a legitimate response to escalating levels of trouble.
For me, and others like me, it's further intensified by the knowledge
that the one who needlessly caused the mess will never even suffer
a twinge of remorse. (in those kind of cases).

Acting foolishly and causing danger, or causing others nearby to be upset
is not legitimate activity. But, I have difficulty trusting those who
claim to have achieved some lofty ability, to remain always angelic
in face of circumstances that are or have melted down.

I've been around long enuff to here about some of these type's
"off camera" behavior.

It took me a long time to learn how not to get mad. The first step was to learn how to control my temper. Then I had to learn how to control my thinking. It doesn't always work but it gets much better with time but I do have to work at it.

I never said I was an angel! But I have learned not to get loud. I did throw something in anger a few years ago. It was a computer and it was giving me fits. I spent a lot of time on the phone and on the internet trying to fix the problem. Finally I went over the edge and opened the window of my office and threw that computer out the window. The office is three floors up and the computer passed right by my wife's window and she saw it go by. Her desk faces the window. The box hit the terrace out side and was smashed pretty good. Then I had one of our workers take the hard drives out of the box and bring them to my office. I built a new one.

Now if I get real quiet my family knows to leave me alone. Except my daughter sometimes comes grabs my hand and takes me for a walk. She always says I will feel better when we come back. Most times she is right.:cool:

sarge41
01-30-2015, 12:10 PM
Probably almost everyone, including myself, has been frustrated and cursed or thrown something at least once in their lives. Someone here said it's a sign of lack of intelligence, and I might agree if a given individual does it continuously. On the other hand, the more intelligent among us learn from our mistakes. It only takes attempting to repair the damage done in one fit of rage for most people to realize the eventual outcome next time they feel frustration building. At that point they stop, walk away and cool off then come back at the issue with a fresh mindset.
For those who cannot seem to control their frustrations, I'd much rather see them throw a tool or curse than go postal and beat or kill someone nearby. If tossing a tool or cursing is what it takes to relieve that stress the outcome isn't nearly as bad as someone that keeps their frustrations pent up until they can no longer control themselves. The resulting explosion has caused far more damage to humanity than a broken tool or damaged workpiece. Those things can be repaired or replaced, lives can't.

I knew a fellow who was easy going, never got mad, was quiet natured, went home one evening and murdered his family, wife, three small children and family dog, then took his own life. Too bad, that he didn't vent once in a while.
Sarge

Black Forest
01-30-2015, 12:11 PM
I knew a fellow who was easy going, never got mad, was quiet natured, went home one evening and murdered his family, wife, three small children and family dog, then took his own life. Too bad, that he didn't vent once in a while.
Sarge

That is terrible. I can't believe he killed his dog....what a sick guy.

A.K. Boomer
01-30-2015, 12:18 PM
And there in lies the flip side of the coin, fact is is we are still primal beings - and need to feed that fire on occasion,,,
in a mamby pamby way - could be why people taking special classes to learn how to punch a pillow helps,,,

I don't need "classes", i get it done and out along the way...

I also feel the best about hanging out with people who are "for real" and I can get a read on them once in awhile, that's just plain simply called good balance,
I don't like hanging out with irrational maniacs anymore than hanging out with someone who always seems to have a fake smile on their face no matter what...

fjk
01-30-2015, 12:21 PM
regarding the ranting-and-raving-is-always-a-bad-thing(tm) notion...

Rickover?

Frank

chesapeake
01-30-2015, 12:55 PM
Again I say, Why is it that this forum allows this sort of nonsense topic but not a 'for sale' section ????

Alistair Hosie
01-30-2015, 01:01 PM

Bull**** on your anger mangement. Go take a fücking hike you pervert! Jesus H Christ what a pansy ass you are. The swearing in this post did nothing to improve my message. It only brought me down to your pathetic level.

Last edited by Black Forest; Yesterday at 10:02 PM.

You simply can't control it! Can you? As if calling me a pervert numerous times is not going to do anything.So carry on with your normal imbecilic ways. It is interesting to think that you believe that by acting like a pub brawler you are more of a man.That typical lack of intelligence being repeted over and over . As I thought you would, you once again showed us all that what I said is indeed correct you can't stop.I do sincerely apologise as I now see you cannot really control your sub neanderthal ways of thinking. One day hopefully you will grow up and stop acting like an eight year old.As always Your pal Alistair

lost_cause
01-30-2015, 01:18 PM
occasionally i will rant and rave if something isn't going well, but i do have the self control not to sling objects obscene distances when there is a chance of hurting someone. i have family and friends who are a lot worse than me, and anything will set them off, but in truth, i'd rather be around them than the ones who don't say it. at least i know where i stand with the hot tempered people. it's the ones who say nothing to you that are the first to say something when you aren't around. they'll sell you down the river in an instant. it's the rare person who keeps his cool and will still accept the hot tempered ones. as has been shown here, there are plenty of those perfectly mannered people who are more than willing to pass judgement on the ones who aren't as refined.

Black Forest
01-30-2015, 01:24 PM

Bull**** on your anger mangement. Go take a fücking hike you pervert! Jesus H Christ what a pansy ass you are. The swearing in this post did nothing to improve my message. It only brought me down to your pathetic level.

Last edited by Black Forest; Yesterday at 10:02 PM.

You simply can't control it! Can you? As if calling me a pervert numerous times is not going to do anything.So carry on with your normal imbecilic ways. It is interesting to think that you believe that by acting like a pub brawler you are more of a man.That typical lack of intelligence being repeted over and over . As I thought you would, you once again showed us all that what I said is indeed correct you can't stop.I do sincerely apologise as I now see you cannot really control your sub neanderthal ways of thinking. One day hopefully you will grow up and stop acting like an eight year old.As always Your pal Alistair

What do you mean control it? The title was about anger. I am not angry and did not get angry when you basically called me a liar. I just responded to your accusations. You are the one that jumped on me Alice. You think just because you state that you are this or that or not this or that, that I must believe you.

I am actually smiling while I write this.

John Stevenson
01-30-2015, 01:32 PM
Again I say, Why is it that this forum allows this sort of nonsense topic but not a 'for sale' section ????

Because you can't sell anger ?? whereas there is a place in the magazines to sell things.

lost_cause
01-30-2015, 01:56 PM
Because you can't sell anger ?? whereas there is a place in the magazines to sell things.

i dunno, this is close to selling anger.

http://www.whattheheck.com/ebay/buttkicker.html

Alistair Hosie
01-30-2015, 03:12 PM
Sorry B Forest, I shouldn't wind you up.Who knows we might even end up best of pals.That is if you come down to my level and befriend a pervert.LOL I sincerely wish you well brother have a great life.Best regards and watch your blood pressure.I sincerely wish you well and really don't dislike a hair on your head.LOL I was just having a bit of fun,Alistair

MrFluffy
01-30-2015, 04:11 PM
I did throw something in anger a few years ago. It was a computer and it was giving me fits. I spent a lot of time on the phone and on the internet trying to fix the problem. Finally I went over the edge and opened the window of my office and threw that computer out the window. The office is three floors up and the computer passed right by my wife's window and she saw it go by. Her desk faces the window. The box hit the terrace out side and was smashed pretty good. Then I had one of our workers take the hard drives out of the box and bring them to my office. I built a new one.

I have done that! I started as a new hire at a large company, and was given the crappiest pc you could imagine. Maybe it was some kind of test, maybe they just took delight in torturing people, but giving a pc that takes 42 minutes to get to a login prompt to someone eager to get stuck in and prove they were worth hiring... So I got on the phone to local IT support, and it was made very clear to me that I could only have a replacement if I absolutely needed it.
Later that day a freak tripping accident on a cable saw it slide across the desk and out a window 3 story up (after first checking the walkway was clear below...), local IT were pretty mad and in my face about having a tantrum and doing it deliberately, but I rejected outright that it was a act of petulant temper and stayed cool, and got my new replacement machine. And it worked out pretty good for the company, the cost of that machine was amortizied within a week or two in gained productivity and everyone was happier except them. Probably every cent saved on their hardware budget went to his bonus or something stupid and counterproductive...
To the guy who saw his dad chop up a cabinet with the axe, yeah I could be that guy at times too.

boslab
01-30-2015, 04:30 PM
Well you can sell anger, anabolic steroids, testosterone, and quite a few nasty things like, what was it, angel dust, also beer and alcohol go some of the way to making folk just plain mean.
I find eBay making me feel like throwing my computer these days, it's just bloody useless, it's so slow you can't stick a last min bid on, it doesn't even register it in under 5 mins, and I'm on so called super fast broadband, wtf
Everyone loses it sometimes, it's a fact of life
Mark

oldtiffie
01-30-2015, 06:45 PM
We do seem to have our fair share of people who are or may be prone to "chucking a wobbly" here.

and of winding ones self and/or others "up"

oldtiffie
01-30-2015, 06:55 PM
The classic solution to such matters in farm and other male animals is to subdue them by castration.

It should work here too.

We had a real "Tom" cat and we got sick if his efforts as well as trips to the Vet who recommended castration to "cool him off - for good".

Worked well too - only problem was that said Tom Cat sat around for a couple of months just feeling sorry for himself and "missing himself" knowing that there was something he seemed to be always doing but had lost the "drive" for.

But he eventually "came good" but subdued - was a "nice cat" but that was about all.

Some of the women here thought it a good idea for some of the men who always seemed to be wanting "it" and "humping it" and total pains in the ar$e.

And there the "anger" began and ended.

Kiwi
01-30-2015, 07:06 PM
Yes everyone loses it in some form or other that's for sure, usually due to the job not going right one of my welders trough a 5" grinder against the wall shattering it ( expensive ) neither my leading hand or foreman saw the signs of it coming which made it my problem but being very fortunate it didn't hit any one So I sent him home when he got back to work it took him about twenty minuets to sort the problem out Just a fresh approach was needed

MotorradMike
01-30-2015, 07:21 PM

And so right.

Alistair Hosie
01-30-2015, 07:42 PM
Some of the women here thought it a good idea for some of the men who always seemed to be wanting "it" and "humping it" and total pains in the ar$e.

In the ar$e .Wow man that's seems to be wrong somehow no thats not right at all, no wonder the women complained so much Those old boys need some education in that department.Alistair

PStechPaul
01-30-2015, 10:15 PM
Yeah. T!ts up! :rolleyes::D

fixerdave
01-30-2015, 10:47 PM
... Frustration is the sign of not knowing how to solve a problem....

Happened to me this summer... first time in my life, and I'm near 50. Kicked a chair across the room... Windows 8. Yeah, it got to me. It got me good.

I've been frustrated, at myself... because I knew I should be able to figure something out. And, I've felt plenty foolish when I did figure it out. Software, hardware, automotive, machining... nothing actually GOT me until Win8. Poor chair, had nothing to do with it ;)

David...

Abner
01-31-2015, 10:40 AM
I was taught so many things in schools but emotional control was not on any class list.
My best karate instructor said this one phrase that has stuck with me all these years.
"The first person to get mad - looses"
Uncontrolled anger is a fearful master, I know from experience.
Keeping anger locked in is like a pressure cooker missing the safety valve.
Smoldering anger is like eating poison and hoping the other person dies.
I too have learned to recognize when I'm getting wound up, to walk away, do something different for awhile, to let it dissipate.
The recognition that there are some truly evil people, who are neither nice or fair and never will be, has lead me to treat them like they have ebola. Staying away from these types, even a sibling, has improved my well being 10 fold. The anger they can generate is mind bending.

Why is this not taught?

Black Forest
01-31-2015, 11:19 AM

In the ar$e .Wow man that's seems to be wrong somehow no thats not right at all, no wonder the women complained so much Those old boys need some education in that department.Alistair

The pervert rears his ugly mind.

Alistair Hosie
01-31-2015, 11:39 AM
Your just jealous of my remarkable whit.No B F I am not going to stoop to childish name calling, no matter what you call me.I intend to be above that.So from now on your my best pal like it or not.Keep well old pal your very bestestest buddy .Big Alistair

A.K. Boomer
01-31-2015, 12:48 PM
U 2 better get it together soon - iv been reading all of this and im really getting pi$$ed off bad!!!!!!!!!! :p

(nice touch Mr. Hosie, nothing like a little fake sarcastic friendship act to really get under someones skin lol

something about a saying in the bible that if you do this you will heap red hot coals upon their heads lol)

TGTool
01-31-2015, 01:01 PM
something about a saying in the bible that if you do this you will heap red hot coals upon their heads lol)

But if red hot coals are in short supply, as they often are, try throwing the coal bucket at them. Works for me. :D

Black Forest
01-31-2015, 01:46 PM
U 2 better get it together soon - iv been reading all of this and im really getting pi$$ed off bad!!!!!!!!!! :p

(nice touch Mr. Hosie, nothing like a little fake sarcastic friendship act to really get under someones skin lol

I enjoyed it much more when you and I were at each others throats. At least I felt I had a worthy and formidable opponent. Alice is just a milk toast. Alice doesn't get under my skin at all. As I said before I can tell it like I see it without getting mad or worked up. Emotions don't need to play a role at all.

Alistair Hosie
01-31-2015, 03:01 PM
Well said young man.It is just the extremely kind sort of person you are, and I am so lucky ,no so very lucky to have you as my new best pal. Just you wait untill Christmas to see all the lovely and dare I say highly expensive presents I have already ordered for you.As I said to Bron nothing but the very best for my Pal BF he is worth it ,even if the grandchildren have to go without food this year. Alistair

Old Hat
01-31-2015, 05:03 PM
This reminds me of a very cold January in the mid 60's.
well below zero for two weeks.

"us Kids" were bickering more and more by the day.
We tried Chinese Checkers, and made a war out of it.

My Mom was a cool collected woman.... nearly always.
We finally went past her trip wire.
Nothin much left of the Chinese Checkers, game.
It was metal too with drawers.
And the card-table was toast.

I don't think any of us moved for an hour... or spoke a word.

Evan
01-31-2015, 06:49 PM
I haven't been following this thread but have read some of it. Basically, when something wrong happens while using a tool in my shop I have just one thing I do. I generally simply blame the engineer that designed the tool for doing something wrong and then carry on. No swearing, no tool brutality, usually. Of course, in my case the tool is often my own design and construction...

Alistair Hosie
01-31-2015, 07:18 PM
I used to have, ( when tired )especially a very hot(words only) temperament problem.However since I have been taking morphine daily for the last fifteen years then I chilled right down almost overnight and really enjoy my life much more than I used to do.I really feel seriously that it is a chemical thing at the synapse etc.A combination of that and also temperamental bad habit.I say that because no matter how tired or angry I would become I could always control it in certain peoples company always.so I feel it is a bad habit which very few people try to get involved with.I also noticed when taking ben el dopa dopamine I would get extremely angry and look for to start a *verbal* fight with anyone who came within screaming distance.When I stopped taking it I resorted to good old Al again immediately.When I took it again even a small dose it would start again.I have a wonderful wife and family who understood it and never let it get to them.Then when I stopped taking the el dopa for a period I was always extremelly remorseful re my temper anger etc.Thank god they all understood.I stopped taking it alltogether, around when I was forty eight and went into hospital with very severe pancreatitus with severe internal bleeding etc. I was bruised abdominally as the doctor G P I had at that time made a right series of cock ups. The panreatitus was ( the most painful thing I have ever had in my life). In that hospital, I found the morphine used to control the pain greatly reduced my violent involuntery body movements,which were very bad back then I was told these are related to parkinsons disease and come from the same area of the brain but the movements were much more violent than normal parkinsons is,but it is parkinsons related.There seemingy, are many parkinsonian related illneses directly linked to parkinsons disease. Alistair

PStechPaul
01-31-2015, 07:46 PM
I think you may have hit on the perfect solution to the anger and violence displayed by many criminals and convicts in prison. Give them free access to morphine, all they want (it's really very cheap except on the black market), and it might greatly reduce the murders, stabbings, and other serious crimes. When prisoners are stoned, they are much easier to handle. If they happen to OD, oh well, Darwinian selection at its finest!

Evan
01-31-2015, 09:21 PM
Morphine is a natural body chemical and is present in all sorts of things such as milk. The body uses opiates as a regulator of neurotransmitters, especially norepinephrine (noradrenaline, same thing). Among other things, that is the fight/flight neurotransmitter. Morphine reduces it's level which decreases the fight/flight body state. Codeine is the same as morphine, just weaker. The body changes it to true morphine when ingested, but only about 1/10 the amount per milligram. There is a good reason why we have opiate receptors in our bodies.

I must use codeine to prevent my norepinephrine from going too high since my body doesn't process norepinephrine properly. My heart rate can hit 180 just from standing. At age 65 it shouldn't exceed 160, at most. Very similar in some ways to Alistair and his illness, it isn't optional and has nothing to do with addiction. I always take the same amount every day except when I forget to take it. True addicts never forget to take their drugs and they quickly build a tolerance to opiates. That always means they need more, and more, and more until it is at the level of killing them with just a bit more. What I take no longer has any addictive type effect but it makes a big difference to how long I can stay on my feet.

MrFluffy
01-31-2015, 10:16 PM
I really feel seriously that it is a chemical thing at the synapse etc.A combination of that and also temperamental bad habit.

I agree with that, one of the unspoken but widely known about symptoms of diabetes is sudden mood swings or general grounchyness. When your blood sugar is elevated it affects the function of the brain. We're complex biological machines...

Forestgnome
02-01-2015, 09:29 AM
Swear at them.
Beat them.

It's just a different way of doing things. People don't have to work the way you work the get the same job done. If they like to yell at tools, let 'em yell. It entertains the bystanders, especially little kids.

A.K. Boomer
02-01-2015, 09:49 AM
It's just a different way of doing things. People don't have to work the way you work the get the same job done. If they like to yell at tools, let 'em yell. It entertains the bystanders, especially little kids.

It's true what a boring world it would be if everyone behaved themselves all the time,,,

again it's a balance... would also be a total drag if people could not get anything done without cussing and throwing stuff,

you save behavior like that for special occasions :)

and has nothing to do at all with quality of work as im proof of that, my work is superior, I actually accredit allot of that due to the fact that im not pre-occupied with either "having to hold it all together" or "becoming fixated in a rage" as if it's totally new and uncharted territory and therefore I don't have the tools or know how on how to pull myself back out,,,

again - balance... it does kinda surprise me that there are so many guys that think it's a good idea NOT to install a pressure relief on the boiler...

John Stevenson
02-01-2015, 10:30 AM
I think we all need a 'fuse' of sorts but it's different for all people. I very rarely loose my temper with tools and jobs, for one I accepted years ago that if something is not working it's a logical progression to rectify faults and get it working again.
Second thing is and this is probably more important is that usually what I'm working on isn't mine and probably not replaceable easily which is why I have it in the first place.

It's people that rev me up, usually people who don't understand the situation. Over the years I have dealt with them in various ways.
One customer who had dropped a goolie in not ordering spares early enough finished up with a broken production machine and lack of spares.
I answered his call for help by dropping everything and making a full set of spares to get it back up and running, a 3 to 4 hour job.

Now instead of sitting back knowing it was in hand and fighting fires his end he proceeds to ruing up every 15 minutes to see how the job is going on. First few times I get a bit hot under the collar and tell him not to ring as my answering the phone isn't getting his job done faster, in fact it's slower.
Next couple of times I even swore at him and told him to leave it with me.

Seventh or eights time, put all the bits in the van, drove over and dropped in all in his lap and told him I don't see why I should have to take any stress or have a heart attack because of his incompetence. Lost the customer but hey, who needs this type.

Actually did some good as word got round and people were a lot nicer :p

1-800miner
02-01-2015, 10:37 AM
Years ago I was a helper on a core drill rig.
The driller would get frustrated and throw tools off the deck and over the hillside.Expecting me to fetch them back.
When I realized this would be an ongoing habit,I decided I had enough.
Next time he threw the wench down the hill I walked down, grabbed the wrench and thew it farther down the hill. Walked back up and sat down.
After he fetched the wrench we got along fine.

vpt
02-01-2015, 10:48 AM
Clumsy bastards. :D

Alistair Hosie
02-01-2015, 04:49 PM
Evan I must add as I read your post.I have twice run very low on my morphine supply once a week I get a weekly supply and Bronwen puts it into seven little bottles.I actually dropped two of them and one hit the other losing a days supply then that night , I started on the withdrawal symptomes around ten occlock sunday night.Trust me for the whole night I suffered those withdrawal symptoms.I could not sit still and horrible.Many almost indescribable sense of electric shocks going throughout my body, sweating feeling hot, and cold,,sick, and much more it was not at all pleasent .When I got the morphine next day Monday morning I took a normal single amount from my daily supply(as said I usually split a days morphine into about six or eight doses) This after a while did absolutely nothing, which surprised me.In fact I still got no relief until I had taken almost a full days worth. Approx 60ml a day.Alistair p s Evan I hope things improve for you too my friend.

Evan
02-01-2015, 07:29 PM
It is not good to stop taking opiates suddenly. Because it dampens the production of nor-epinephrine when it is removed suddenly you will likely have a overshoot in the amount produced without the morphine. That can result in very high heart rate and what you describe as "electric shocks" as your nervous system overreacts to the change. I always have an extra amount of codeine on hand to prevent such a thing from happening and always carry some with me in case I cannot get home because of a possible medical emergency. For me, suddenly stopping taking it could kill me.

You should have at least a two day extra supply on hand to prevent something like that happening again. Even though you may not be mentally addicted your body will always form a physical addiction to opiates. Stopping suddenly is what they call the "Cold Turkey" reaction.