PDA

View Full Version : me, machinery, and murphy

lost_cause
01-29-2015, 02:49 PM
so i've been looking for a small to mid-sized knee mill to replace my rf-30 for a good while now, and i swear the world is conspiring against me. for the last year or so i watched craigslist fairly regularly but i was never able to find the time to get away to go look at any during the work week before they were gone. i stopped working at my previous job/career just before the holidays, and before i go out and look for new employment i've been trying to take care of stuff around here that never got done or put off for too long. i figured at this time i'd see if i could pick up a mill while i had the time.

as it turned out, a few turned up before the holidays, but they disappeared before i had the free time to look. one showed up just after christmas and i called as soon as i saw the ad, but one caller beat me to it, and he bought it. i actually saw someone post on pm about their new mill and the description was just like that one, so i asked and sure enough, it was the same one. we had decent weather here for a while and craigslist was in a mill drought. now we get socked in with the better part of two feet of snow, and sure enough, what looks to be the ideal mill shows up last night in my price range. problem is, it's 4 hours one way, and we've got big snow coming every other day, so i'm not enthused about making an 8-10 hour trip through a big storm just to go look at a mill. not to mention this being super bowl weekend, i kind of doubt i will have much luck trying to look at a mill that is on the far side of boston.

i'm going to hope it holds out until the weekend passes and maybe the storms forecasted for monday don't happen, and maybe luck will swing my way on this one.

boslab
01-29-2015, 03:09 PM
Hope your in luck, sounds like it might be your turn
Mark

flylo
01-29-2015, 03:27 PM
If you think it's the one call the seller, explain the weather & offer a small $50 deposit via paypal so he knows your serious & if it were me I'd hold it & refund the deposit when you showed up. Just an idea not telling you what to do.

mattthemuppet
01-29-2015, 08:54 PM
thing is, knowing Murphy I bet that the minute you buy that mill (or any other), another one even better, cheaper and closer will appear :)

I'm sure it will work out for you - where there's a will there's a way!

Mike Amick
01-29-2015, 09:26 PM
You have to check CL every chance you get. I honestly check it every couple of
hours when I am looking for something. Go to CL and set up and do your search, then
drag that URL link onto your desktop. Its like a one button custom search.

They just had an auction the other day here. And a small lagun, and a millrite each
went for under $500. All kinds of stuff went pretty cheap.
Here's the link .... The mills are right at the top of the list.

http://calauctions.rasmuscatalog.com/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?calauctions8/category/ALL

Also, I heard too many " I was busy's" come on man .. get your priorities straight.

lost_cause
01-29-2015, 10:40 PM
You have to check CL every chance you get. I honestly check it every couple of
hours when I am looking for something. Go to CL and set up and do your search, then
drag that URL link onto your desktop. Its like a one button custom search.

They just had an auction the other day here. And a small lagun, and a millrite each
went for under $500. All kinds of stuff went pretty cheap.
Here's the link .... The mills are right at the top of the list.

http://calauctions.rasmuscatalog.com/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?calauctions8/category/ALL

Also, I heard too many " I was busy's" come on man .. get your priorities straight.

oh, trust me, i'm pretty much checking it non stop when i'm not working. when i was working i couldn't check it during the day, and the goodies that were up in the week were gone by the time i could get home & find them. i never lucked into finding somethign that was posted on friday night or saturday. i've just missed two in the last month, and there isn't a lot closer. you gotta realize, there's only somewhere around 1.3 million people in the entire state i live in, so the odds of finding anything close isn't great. i'm up to searching a good chunk of 4 states now. i'm also watching a few in-state auction houses and have checked bidspotter and watched a recent auction that was 4 hours away, but the one that i was interested in went for more than i thought it should, considering that there was zero chance of ever getting any more collets or arbors to fit it.

sure, i've got a fairly narrow window of what i want and a price range i want to be in - basically, the ideal mill would be a larger table millrite in the $1000 range, but i'd be fine with any millrite or j head / clone. i'm be the first to agree that my willingness to jump up and take a great road trip is a little low right now, but thre are a lot of factors playing into that one that i don't have control over, so i've got to hope i can find one close. being the only driver for all errands and appointments for three adults has to come first. when i was working i usually only had 8 or 10 hours between when i got home to when i had to be back on the road to go to work again, so there was no time during the week. i'm pretty sure nobody wants me to show up at midnight to buy a mill from them.

RichR
01-30-2015, 12:30 AM
Hi lost_cause
How do you feel about Boston:
http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/tls/4867495866.html