PDA

View Full Version : Changing a battery on a Haas display

JakeStephensonKarr
01-30-2015, 11:49 AM
A 2011 year Haas display has been giving a battery alarm. We managed to succesfully replace the battery and now must reinstall firmware. All the information has been backed up on a USB drive. Any insight of what to do next would be greatly appreciated.

dalee100
01-30-2015, 12:50 PM
Call Haas and do it right.

macona
01-30-2015, 04:44 PM
You replace the battery while the machine is on so you don't need to do this.

Hopefully it is easier to restore than a fanuc...

boslab
01-30-2015, 04:49 PM
There's a 3.6 volt battery on the board, it's lithium and on the older ones soldered, caution, the newer ones are plug and flying lead, there is a correct way to do it, that doesn't involve killing the bios chips etc, expensive to replace I found, impossible to replace on an old one as the nice people won't sell just the chips, they sell the whole board, which may or may not work, I found all that out the hard way, the old machine was unsupported, how nice, I ordered the battery from radio spares and thought a simple swap would be all it took, several thousands later the dam thing was never right, nothing but problems
Ended up tossing it in the scrap bin with a 30 ton fork truck
As has been said, call hassle as I call them, they may talk you through it on newer ones,
Mark

macona
01-30-2015, 05:22 PM
Mark, On what kind of mill?

I had to re input all the parameters on a Makino 1516 with an old Fanuc 15M. Not fun, it had the SRAM card that replaced the old bubble memory card. Still more fun than the Matsuura with a Mitsubishi control that had a battery we did not know about die. To install the final options we almost had to have a tech fly out to input the password so we could reinstall the options. Luckily a guy swore me to secrecy on how to do it and let me finish it. That's when I quit, I think they got the machine going. I know they will have to do ballscrew pitch comps still.