PDA

View Full Version : On the hunt for all 10 HSM's with Mike Wards scraping articles

doctordoctor
01-30-2015, 07:44 PM
Part 1, May/Jun 2011: A long, comprehensive overview of the entire field
Part 2, Jul/Aug 2011: Forging a steel scraper from an old file
Part 3, Sep/Oct 2011: Making a carbide scraper
Part 4, Nov/Dec 2011: Making a power rotary lap for cabide scrapers
Part 5, Jan/Feb 2012: Further work on the rotary lap
Part 6, Mar/Apr 2012: Scraping a metalworking shaper component and vise
Part 7, May/Jun 2012: Scraping V-blocks and V-ways
Part 8, Jul/Aug 2012: Scraping ways and dovetails
Part 9, Sep/Oct 2012: Dovetail spotting tool; scraping a machine table
Part 10, Nov/Dec 2012: Scraping machine saddles and gibs

I've asked my library to see if somehow they could find a library that happens to have these archived.

Looks like it would be 60 bucks to buy the back issues from HSM.

Anyone else looking for these too?

oldtiffie
01-30-2015, 09:07 PM
Why not try George Bulliss as the editor of the referred to magazines?

doctordoctor
01-30-2015, 09:09 PM
Why not try George Bulliss as the editor of the referred to magazines?

Because I'm cheap? HSM website says back issues are 6 bucks each.

If those scraper articles are as good as I hope they are, its too bad they aren't in book form to buy all at once. hint hint

duckman
01-30-2015, 09:49 PM
I'd like to help but no location, no help.

doctordoctor
01-30-2015, 09:50 PM
I'd like to help but no location, no help.

Im in So Cal, USA

Do you have all the magazines or something?

Rosco-P
01-30-2015, 10:13 PM

If those scraper articles are as good as I hope they are, its too bad they aren't in book form to buy all at once. hint hint

Buy Machine Tool Reconditioning by Connelly. Should have everything you neeed and more. Neverming. Scratch that, if you won't pay $6 for a back issue, you aren't going to buy a textbook for $80.00

oldtiffie
01-30-2015, 10:22 PM
If I recall correctly, those items were first seen here written by Michael Ward (who was McGyver or similar on this BBS.

Some one may have those posts/files but I guess that other than that you are going to have to try your luck with the "search" function here (use McGyver).

Here is the results of a basic first pass search on "Mcgyver":

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/search.php?searchid=913030

doctordoctor
01-30-2015, 10:29 PM
Buy Machine Tool Reconditioning by Connelly. Should have everything you neeed and more. Neverming. Scratch that, if you won't pay $6 for a back issue, you aren't going to buy a textbook for $80.00

I've seen the Connelly book and its not what I'm looking for. I have it coming for $1 via the library anyway, but I'd like something with better procedures in it.

Its not $6, its $60 for all 10, and I have no idea how good or bad the articles will end up being.

doctordoctor
01-30-2015, 10:38 PM
If I recall correctly, those items were first seen here written by Michael Ward (who was McGyver or similar on this BBS.

Some one may have those posts/files but I guess that other than that you are going to have to try your luck with the "search" function here (use McGyver).

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/search.php?searchid=913030

I did a search on here for all his posts and I didnt see any metal scraping articles. Are you sure they would be on the forum? Given some of the posts I saw him make it looks like they were done just for the magazine.

Arthur.Marks
01-30-2015, 10:38 PM
Last I knew, you can buy individual articles too--not just the full back issues. I wish to also convey that the effort, time and progressively learned skill represented by an article does have value. I would hope you agree and are willing to compensate in such a manner as you are able which fosters continued contributions to the HSM magazine. Or at least your public library (inter-library loans...;))

doctordoctor
01-30-2015, 10:50 PM
Last I knew, you can buy individual articles too--not just the full back issues. I wish to also convey that the effort, time and progressively learned skill represented by an article does have value. I would hope you understand that and are willing to compensate in such a way that fosters continued contributions to the HSM magazine. Or at least your public library (inter-library loans...;))

I'll ask to see if I can buy just the articles.

Otherwise, if I buy $60 worth of magazines from HSM, I'm going to sell them when I'm done. But if anyone wants to sell used magazines for cheaper I'd rather do that just because its cheaper, but I'll end up selling them either way. Its just like when I buy used books, blu-rays, video games, etc.. and when I'm done with them I sell them on ebay. I dont think there is anything needed to be understood or explained. Theres nothing special about magazines.

oldtiffie
01-30-2015, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by oldtiffie View Post

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/sea...earchid=913030

I did a search on here for all his posts and I didnt see any metal scraping articles. Are you sure they would be on the forum? Given some of the posts I saw him make it looks like they were done just for the magazine.

Yes.

They appeared here before they were published in the magazines.

doctordoctor
01-30-2015, 11:22 PM
Yes.

I think they got deleted from the forum once they were finished:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/56835-A-great-job-McGyver?p=811213#post811213

oldtiffie
01-31-2015, 12:39 AM
H-m-m-m-m

It seems so.

Mcgyver
05-31-2015, 10:34 AM

bizarre how this happens.... nothing could be further from the truth. This reflects negatively on what was a huge a bloody effort, so I want to assure you this is BS. As it took years to write and assemble maybe the odd photo got posted, but the content of the articles did not appear hear, nor have I deleted anything. If by chance there are any photo's missing, its photobucket re-org, not intentional deleting

:)

dp
05-31-2015, 11:40 AM
I have all the magazines and they're worth more than $6.00 each to me. It was because of McGyver's articles that I even subscribed to the HSM magazine. You don't sound too cheap to me - you sound like you can't appreciate the hard work of everyone involved and the expense of putting out these magazines. I also get the impression you'd be willing to violate the copyright protections of everyone involved. I'm not calling you a possible thief - I'm just saying it is difficult to think otherwise given your boorish solicitation and where you chose to post it. How you come across is on you.

Paul Alciatore
05-31-2015, 04:55 PM
I believe that Village Press also provides reprints of articles. That may be less expensive than the entire magazines. I would hope they would have at least one archive copy of each of those issues.

Likewise, Mike Ward, apparently McGiver, is the author and he owns the copyright on the articles. I gladly supply copies of my past articles to all who ask. One is available to all takers on the internet. There is no copyright infringement here as I do not use copies of the magazine pages which do belong to Village Press. Village Press only claims the right for one time publication and of course, the the actual magazine issues or pages from them. I provide my articles in Microsoft Word or HTML or Adobe Acrobat format. He could do likewise, if he wishes. You might ask him, politely.

quasi
06-01-2015, 02:15 AM
I would buy a book of Mike Ward`s article`s ala Rudy Kouhoup, Frank Maclean, Phylip Duclos ...

Black Forest
06-01-2015, 06:10 AM
I believe that Village Press also provides reprints of articles. That may be less expensive than the entire magazines. I would hope they would have at least one archive copy of each of those issues.

Likewise, Mike Ward, apparently McGiver, is the author and he owns the copyright on the articles. I gladly supply copies of my past articles to all who ask. One is available to all takers on the internet. There is no copyright infringement here as I do not use copies of the magazine pages which do belong to Village Press. Village Press only claims the right for one time publication and of course, the the actual magazine issues or pages from them. I provide my articles in Microsoft Word or HTML or Adobe Acrobat format. He could do likewise, if he wishes. You might ask him, politely.

Paul that is not OK what you are proposing in my book. Village Press makes this forum available to anyone that wants to join free of charge. Why would you direct people away from Village Press when they are the ones that paid the author for the articles. I don't have time right now to list all the reasons why I think it is bad form.

But it is bad form in my book to ask the author to provide the articles for free when he obviously put a lot of effort into the writing of said articles. When competent people write articles it is good for the magazine and us. To encourage competent people to do so they get paid.

Just my opinion.

David Powell
06-01-2015, 12:33 PM
Paul that is not OK what you are proposing in my book. Village Press makes this forum available to anyone that wants to join free of charge. Why would you direct people away from Village Press when they are the ones that paid the author for the articles. I don't have time right now to list all the reasons why I think it is bad form.

But it is bad form in my book to ask the author to provide the articles for free when he obviously put a lot of effort into the writing of said articles. When competent people write articles it is good for the magazine and us. To encourage competent people to do so they get paid.

Just my opinion.

I am pleased to be able to say that I know Mike Ward, and that he is known to some other members of Toronto Society of Model Engineers. He is known for enthusiasm, thoroughness and determination beyond that of many of us. Scraping machine slides is not on the list of things I most want to do( I much prefer getting steam up and giving others the chance to drive my steam models), BUT I am absolutely sure that the articles contain a wealth of useful, correct, well presented information. Spend the dollars, buy the magazines, read and learn and then, if you must, sell them on later. Regards David Powell.

Mcgyver
06-01-2015, 01:20 PM
thanks for the kind words guys....Dave, you're too nice for scraping, it takes a special form of darkness and masochism....i veered close to the point of no return, am recovering and hopefully working my way back to models......just another couple of machines....:D

lynnl
06-01-2015, 06:02 PM

Just my opinion.

BF, I think you misread or misunderstood Paul's posting. He said "I gladly supply copies of my past articles to all who ask." ...meaning the articles he wrote, NOT articles in the magazines he owns.

charlton
10-19-2017, 03:43 PM
Does HSM actually sell individual articles? I wouldn't mind buying Michael's set of scraping articles...though I'm sure the rest of the magazine content is also very good. :)

George Bulliss
10-19-2017, 03:51 PM
Yes, we do. Call 800-447-7367 to order. I can't remember the per issue price, but I do know it's very close to the cover price and includes shipping.

BTW, I just tossed the next Ward article over to the art department. It's a boring bar tool holder project and will be in the January/February issue.

3 Phase Lightbulb
10-19-2017, 03:57 PM
Yes, we do. Call 800-447-7367 to order. I can't remember the per issue price, but I do know it's very close to the cover price and includes shipping.

BTW, I just tossed the next Ward article over to the art department. It's a boring bar tool holder project and will be in the January/February issue.

George, I think I recall seeing that you sell individual back issues. I was wondering if you offer a complete back-issue package containing all of the back issues in one deal...

George Bulliss
10-19-2017, 04:02 PM
George, I think I recall seeing that you sell individual back issues. I was wondering if you offer a complete back-issue package containing all of the back issues in one deal...

We do occasionally bundle the multi-issue projects and sell them for a discount at the shows, but have not offered them that way via the regular storefront. I'm not saying that it won't happen, but there is nothing in the works along those lines right now.

Make an offer and I'll bundle some up for our next show in January, Cabin Fever. I'm much more generous in person...

I just had a look, the price of a back issue is 25 cents over the cover price of $6.25.

Regarding the scrapping article, I'm kind of hoping that some day it becomes a book.

3 Phase Lightbulb
10-19-2017, 04:18 PM
We do occasionally bundle the multi-issue projects and sell them for a discount at the shows, but have not offered them that way via the regular storefront. I'm not saying that it won't happen, but there is nothing in the works along those lines right now.

Make an offer and I'll bundle some up for our next show in January, Cabin Fever. I'm much more generous in person...

I just had a look, the price of a back issue is 25 cents over the cover price of $6.25.

Regarding the scrapping article, I'm kind of hoping that some day it becomes a book.

No time to go to shows, but if you offer a complete set of all back issues (I currently counted 62) I'd pay $200 for the package.. Roughly $3.25 each.... Sign me up and let's get you paid http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/images/icons/icon14.png

GadgetBuilder
10-19-2017, 05:05 PM
There is a wrinkle to obtaining the full series of scraping articles from Village press: the January 2012 issue is out of stock. (My drill sharpener was the cover article for that issue so I supply copies of the material I supplied to VP to potential builders who can't find copies of that issue.)

As I understand the author agreement with VP, they can't print more copies nor can they provide a book or DVD with all the past issues unless they obtain permission from all the authors involved, a difficult task. For reference their author agreement, as it existed in 2011/2012 is copied below.

John

Village Press author agreement:
Copyright:What we buy from you is the right to publish your article for the first time in North America. That right is called First North American Serial Rights, the “Serial” referring to the fact that the story appeared in a periodical, not the fact that it was a multi-part article. Upon publication – as soon as the issue goes into the mail − all rights revert to you. But – big “but” here – only in the form in which you originally submitted it to us. The editing and the design of the article, including the drawings that we edited/created, are the work product of Village Press and Digital Machinist.