PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Enco 14x40 big bore lathe?

oxford
01-30-2015, 10:30 PM
I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on Enco's 14x40 big bore lathe? It is part number ks328-1312, and here is the link to it http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=KS328-1312 I will probably never own one but I do like to lust over it when the Enco book shows up. If you could use a 30% off coupon on it the price isn't to terribly bad so who knows. Anyone own one? It seems pretty beefy at 5000lbs and the 3.125" spindle bore would be useful. I think it would be a very useful lathe for a homeshop.

rws
01-31-2015, 09:54 AM
Personally, for a home shop I can't see it.

PixMan
01-31-2015, 09:57 AM
The Jet GH-1440 is about the same machine and there's a lot of them on the used market. Great machine for the money, just be aware of the D1-8 spindle nose and how much more money (and heavier) any of the chucks, faceplates or collet closer heads would be.

oxford
01-31-2015, 10:22 AM
just be aware of the D1-8 spindle nose and how much more money (and heavier) any of the chucks, faceplates or collet closer heads would be.

Yes, that would be a downfall.

Toolguy
01-31-2015, 10:48 AM
I have always wanted one of those because of the 3-1/8" spindle bore and the 9" cross slide travel. Most 14" lathes only have a 6 to 7" cross slide. That is not enough to really use the capacity, especially on a gap bed lathe when facing a large diameter.

Rosco-P
01-31-2015, 10:50 AM
What work would you be running on it? Would think the small C-C distance might reduce its usefulness.

oxford
01-31-2015, 11:19 AM
I am just Dreaming about it, I don't have any actual jobs lined up that I "need" it for. I currently have a 12" swing lathe and have run into the swing just being a tad small. I think a 14x40 would be a perfect size for me. I know everyone has run into the spindle size being to small, this would more than make up for it. I think the big spindle size would make up for CC distance.

Rosco-P
01-31-2015, 11:28 AM
Could hunt down something like an older L&S with a large spindle bore. You are in an area where used machine exist in quantity.

lakeside53
01-31-2015, 11:59 AM
Every now and then I want a bigger bore in my 14x40 home lathe.. . but the D1-8 issues would discourage me. Much of my work is done on quality (bison set-tru) 6 inch chucks - can you even fit one to a D1-8 backing plate?

flylo
01-31-2015, 12:14 PM
If I ever wear the Pacemaker out I'll look at it:p

rock_breaker
01-31-2015, 12:34 PM
Somewhere not long ago I saw a thread (?) warning that Enco does not apply the large discounts to the machines they sell. As that person said "it would be worth checking out".

I have the lighter version of this lathe and like it. It is not the same as running my older Clausing but it does get the job done.

John Stevenson
01-31-2015, 12:52 PM
I bought one of the ubiquitous 14 x 40 lathes direct from the Sieg factory in China [ they do a blue and white industrial range ] but took advantage of a few of the options available.

Chose the 2 1/4" spindle bore which throws the mounting onto D1-5, something not very common here in the UK but had the sense to order four 6" backplates and two 8" backplates extra. Chose the 30" bed option as opposed to the 40" because of where it has to fit and I already have one 40" lathe. That choice was base purely on where it went, not cost as the saving was only $17.50 !! [ no typo ]
They usually come 240v single phase but ordered mine 440v 3 phase as can fit an inverter if needed. It was on the cards with a workshop move at one point after Gert died but now look to be settled here for the future so the three phase is a given.

Overall very pleased with it given that this thing came to me at just above cost and TBH it was a pittance, seen second hand Myfords going for much more but it has the usual Chinese niggles.

Many of these are based on the older UK Harrison M300 brand and once updated to current safety regs, they have issues.

The biggest is they fit spiral spring guards to the leadscrew and it's impossible to get a normal tool to touch the face plate or even close as there is no dead space for the spring to coil up. Easiest answer is to remove the springs, never yet had or used a lathe with a leadscrew guard so missing nothing.

Mine a metric machine is missing quite a few of the popular imperial threads in the gearbox but a quick work out with a spread sheet and an email to China and the 'missing' gears soon arrived.

oxford
01-31-2015, 01:07 PM
but the D1-8 issues would discourage me. Much of my work is done on quality (bison set-tru) 6 inch chucks - can you even fit one to a D1-8 backing plate?

I don't know if you could mount a 6" or not. There are a couple of Bison set-tru's on ebay that say 8" with d1-8 mount, but 10" seems to be the most common smallest chuck for that mount. Anyone know what size chuck would be the smallest that would still be able to use the 3.125" spindle bore?

If I ever wear the Pacemaker out I'll look at it:p

What is the spindle bore vs actual size of that machine? I know the P&W 16 (18.5" actual swing) had a pretty small spindle bore for the size of the machine. At least I thought it was. Without looking it up I am going to say around 2".

Somewhere not long ago I saw a thread (?) warning that Enco does not apply the large discounts to the machines they sell. As that person said "it would be worth checking out".

You could be correct, I have never tried to add machinery to an order when they were running a 30% off sale.

I bought one of the ubiquitous 14 x 40 lathes direct from the Sieg factory in China [ they do a blue and white industrial range ] but took advantage of a few of the options available.

I remember the unpacking thread on that lathe. How did you go about ordering direct? It is too bad they didn't put a d1-6 mount on it, they seem to be a lot more common.

flylo
01-31-2015, 01:39 PM
I have seen 30% off everything but with free UPS shipping not truck shipping. The Pacemaker spindle bore is just under 2", 54" between centers & 20" swing over the bed.

cuemaker
01-31-2015, 02:47 PM
I have the older Taiwan Jet version. Have needed the big 3.125 bore? Almost, I was able to make some parts of out 2.5" aluminum for a small job that didnt require all kinds of fiddling (I had to turn both ends down to 1" and it was 28" long)..What I REALLY appreciate about my machine is just how big and sturdy it is. Could I live without the big bore? Absolutely. But I really dont mind that I have it.

The big ass chucks are an issue... My 3 jaw is HEAVY and its a chore changing. I want a 4 jaw but havent looked for a decent priced one yet, but I suspect they are not many laying around...

radkins
01-31-2015, 09:45 PM
Enco does indeed honor some, but not all, of those discounts on machinery. They do it fairly often and usually are quite clear about it in their ads.

wierdscience
01-31-2015, 10:01 PM
I wouldn't let the D1-8 stop me,big spindle bores are nice,well worth having.

wierdscience
01-31-2015, 10:06 PM
Enco does indeed honor some, but not all, of those discounts on machinery. They do it fairly often and usually are quite clear about it in their ads.

Once or twice a year I get "20% + free shipping sitewide with no exclusions" via e-mail that do apply to machinery.

Black_Moons
01-31-2015, 10:14 PM
Too big, too expensive and the movers nearly killed themselves getting my 1000lb lathe down the stairs!

tmarks11
02-01-2015, 09:51 AM
I wouldn't let the D1-8 stop me,big spindle bores are nice,well worth having.
I would.

I used a Jet 1440ZX quite a bit, and changing out the chucks is a real chore, and hard on your back.

I was happy to move down to a D1-5 machine, I no longer end up doing jobs with a less-than-optimal chuck choice, since it is so easy to swap them out. I can hold my D1-5 Bison 5C chuck in one hand. No way that was going to happen on the Jet.

Once or twice a year I get "20% + free shipping sitewide with no exclusions" via e-mail that do apply to machinery.

Just a note: the "free shipping coupon" ALWAYS means free UPS shipping, not free truck shipping for machinery. Occasionally, their smaller 13x40 and 14x40 lathes show up in the monthly sales flyer with free truck shipping... stack a 20% off coupon on that, and it is a killer deal.

In fact....right now! The monthly flier has a 1340, a 1440, and the Large Bore 1440 all on sale with FREE SHIPPING!

Somewhere not long ago I saw a thread (?) warning that Enco does not apply the large discounts to the machines they sell.

About every other coupon deal, it will say "NO EXCLUSIONS APPLY", meaning you can apply it to machinery. Probably once every 6 weeks it shows up. Worth waiting for.

John Stevenson
02-01-2015, 10:13 AM
I remember the unpacking thread on that lathe. How did you go about ordering direct? It is too bad they didn't put a d1-6 mount on it, they seem to be a lot more common.

I do work for Sieg in China and so dealing direct with them is not an issue for me and as a plus I'm fortunate that i can piggy back any purchases onto someone elses order and that takes care of freight and customs.
I do still have to pay but I pay on container space used which is very cheap taken as a percentage of a whole container.

I realise that this is possibly a unique situation.