PDA

View Full Version : The difference between chalk and Cheese !

David Powell
02-03-2015, 07:54 AM
With help from my son I have now installed my Colchester Bantam lathe ( Built circa 1963). It seems to have had relatively little use. A few trial cuts on innocent pieces of material have gone splendidly, 2" long piece 3/4" dia.held in collet and turned down just a few thous shows less than a tenth large at the outer end. All the gears and feeds run fairly quietly. I am short of a few changewheels and will have to make or buy as needed. It simply " feels" so much better than my other machines. Does anyone with experience of these machines have any specific advice or warnings I ought to be aware of? Regards David Powell.

boslab
02-03-2015, 08:18 AM
Don't it feel nice!, might benefit from an oil change, nice way oil and a tidy tool post, I use one quite often but my home one is harrison, which I also like
Mark

David Powell
02-03-2015, 08:28 AM
Don't it feel nice!, might benefit from an oil change, nice way oil and a tidy tool post, I use one quite often but my home one is harrison, which I also like
Mark

The original toolpost has been replaced by a cheap ($200) quick change. The slides, which were dirty, but apparently still as set at the factory , still got waxy stuff in the Allen heads, were cleaned with varsol and oiled with waylube. I actually slackened both very slightly from how I got them. I will run it till slightly warm then change the oil. Regards David Powell.

krutch
02-03-2015, 01:55 PM
I'd think taste and consistency would tell ya the difference.
If it is quiet and only shows a tenth over 2" I don't think ya got hurt.

boslab
02-03-2015, 05:21 PM
Wait till you take a heavy cut with a tipped tool, wear glasses btw
Mark

motorworks
02-03-2015, 05:29 PM
Colchester makes a great Lathe! I have a 1973 triumph 2000 15 x 50 that's used day in day out in an industrial shop...does not meet a beat!
good luck
eddie

wagnmkr
02-05-2015, 06:43 AM
Glad you have it all sorted now David. That was quick as it was still in bits last week when I saw it.

Cheers

Tom

David Powell
02-05-2015, 08:00 AM
Glad you have it all sorted now David. That was quick as it was still in bits last week when I saw it.

Cheers

Tom

There is a mighty cleanup going on in the basement. It was high time after 23 yrs of collecting and cramming stuff in. David.