View Full Version : Craigslist score? "tungsten drill"

superUnknown
02-04-2015, 04:17 PM
I always get a chuckle out of these...
http://kelowna.craigslist.ca/tls/4826397833.html

the tag says "tungsten drill"

KJ1I
02-04-2015, 08:23 PM
Craigslist is an interesting place. This ad has been running for over 2 years.

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/tls/4876864212.html

He started out asking $150, now it's down to "best offer".

peekaboobus
02-05-2015, 12:24 AM
Nothing beats people trying to sell used equipment, not even "mint" or "unused" used equipment, for their original purchase or current market price.

Mostly its from the hobbyists I presume. The guy who purchased something, used it for a while, and decides to sell it but is unwilling to sustain any capital loss on it. Even though people can often buy the same brand new for the same amount they are asking used.

Puckdropper
02-05-2015, 09:07 AM
Nothing beats people trying to sell used equipment, not even "mint" or "unused" used equipment, for their original purchase or current market price.

Mostly its from the hobbyists I presume. The guy who purchased something, used it for a while, and decides to sell it but is unwilling to sustain any capital loss on it. Even though people can often buy the same brand new for the same amount they are asking used.

I've heard of cases where the tool being sold actually sells for more than the new price. It's usually a tile saw, and HF has another one plus 20% coupon.

There's a Ferengi rule of acquisition:
If you first offer is accepted, you either took too little or gave too much.

dan s
02-05-2015, 09:48 AM

I would say it's more of a dumb person problem. A lot of farmers around here are "brand" junkies, and seem to think certain brands don't depreciate. So you will see them asking 3-7K for a 40 year old Bridgeport on it's last legs. The same thing goes for pretty much any old American iron.

Fasttrack
02-05-2015, 11:04 AM
Craigslist is an interesting place. This ad has been running for over 2 years.

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/tls/4876864212.html

He started out asking $150, now it's down to "best offer".

Well... that's MA isn't it? Folks up in NH know better. ;)

Black_Moons
02-05-2015, 12:54 PM
My fav is the local guy trying to sell 2 of the ugliest, no suspension, B&S motor in a ****ty little frame with huge bulky tires dirtbikes... for $450... Each. And only one of them runs. been going for at least a year now im sure.

peekaboobus
02-05-2015, 01:21 PM
I've heard of cases where the tool being sold actually sells for more than the new price. It's usually a tile saw, and HF has another one plus 20% coupon.

There's a Ferengi rule of acquisition:
If you first offer is accepted, you either took too little or gave too much.

I've seen that too. The portable tool brand names like DeWalt and Bosch. Even used they sell for quite a bit. And then there are those old mills and lathes, particularly the benchtop branded varieties, that you can see people having a high asking price for.

Yet sometimes its also better to have the sale than none at all. And there is time value of money. Presumably, if you invested the money, there is a chance you can undersell from market price and still be ahead than selling for market price in the future.

I would say it's more of a dumb person problem. A lot of farmers around here are "brand" junkies, and seem to think certain brands don't depreciate. So you will see them asking 3-7K for a 40 year old Bridgeport on it's last legs. The same thing goes for pretty much any old American iron.

Ha.

Then again there is another strategy some people employ. They buy a used equipment for a relatively high value and they sell for scrap value to make a lot more because people buying spares don't realize or feel the few extra percentage increase in price. So in the whole, the tool can be sold for more in parts than as a whole.

BigMike782
02-05-2015, 03:01 PM
This one has been on weekly for well over a year. He had it at 4500.00 and sometime early this winter dropped it a grand. My guess is SWMBO said get rid of some of that junk and he said ok......wink wink.
I'm not sure why you would run it so long and then take such a drastic drop.
http://southbend.craigslist.org/tls/4836246785.html