PDA

View Full Version : Mcmaster- Carr catalog

JMS6449
02-06-2015, 01:06 PM
I just received catalog 121 from McMaster-Carr. The first pm will get you catalog 120.

MikeL46
02-06-2015, 02:02 PM
PM Sent.

Even if I'm not first, thanks for the kind offer!

Mike

I just received catalog 121 from McMaster-Carr. The first pm will get you catalog 120.

projectnut
02-06-2015, 02:57 PM
Why bother with the paper catalog? Everything is now online at:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#

The last catalog I got was #101. Since then I've been doing everything with them online. The catalogs are obsolete the day they're printed. I can't count the number of times I called them with an order to find either the product spec or the price had changed. In some cases they no longer even carried the part.

I setup an online account and know exactly how much items cost before I even make an order.

JRouche
02-06-2015, 03:37 PM
Why bother with the paper catalog?

Some folks, like myself still like books. Its nice to sit down with a book and get ideas. Hard to do with the internet.

But.... When I do decide to buy something its done online. I like BOTH forms of media. Why be limited. JR

sarge41
02-06-2015, 04:02 PM
Some folks, like myself still like books. Its nice to sit down with a book and get ideas. Hard to do with the internet.

But.... When I do decide to buy something its done online. I like BOTH forms of media. Why be limited. JR

I agree, online catalogs leave much to be desired. I don't know anything about McMaster-Carr, but I have used MSC's big book for years and like it. Its a good catalog, but their online stuff really sucks. I hope in my lifetime, I don't have to have only the "online catalog".
Sarge

JMS6449
02-06-2015, 04:16 PM
MikeL 46 is the first and will receive the catalog.

I too prefer the catalog for the same reasons as above, but use the electronic version to download cad files.

Toolguy
02-06-2015, 05:03 PM
I just got a #121 as well. I have a nice #118 if anyone wants it for cost of shipping.

Bob Fisher
02-06-2015, 06:15 PM
McMaster's web site is about as good as they get! I still prefer the catalog tho, seems I can find things quicker, although I order on line. should see 121 on my desk Monday. Bob.

flylo
02-06-2015, 06:32 PM
I just got a #121 as well. I have a nice #118 if anyone wants it for cost of shipping.

I'll pay the shipping, Thank you!

wierdscience
02-06-2015, 07:35 PM
McMaster has the pinnacle of commerce website design IMHO and they are one of the very few big businesses that are still all about the customer.

I never use the paper catalog anymore since everything,including the catalog pages are online.Plus I have my order history available so it's easy to find those 3/32 stainless E-rings I ordered six months ago.:)

Toolguy
02-06-2015, 07:43 PM
Flylo gets the catalog. I'll figure out shipping and let you know the amount.

DR
02-06-2015, 08:04 PM
Now you guys tell me the old catalogs are still sought after.....I threw 4 away not too long ago when cleaning the office.

bobw53
02-06-2015, 08:53 PM
I agree, online catalogs leave much to be desired. I don't know anything about McMaster-Carr, but I have used MSC's big book for years and like it. Its a good catalog, but their online stuff really sucks. I hope in my lifetime, I don't have to have only the "online catalog".
Sarge

MSC's website is pretty close to the worst thing any human being could possibly come up with, and the sad thing is that it
is actually better than it was 5 years ago.... Still sucks and blows at the same though.

Not to mention that MSC is bar none the worst supplier in the metal cutting industry.

McM's website is night and day to MSC's... It learns apparently. I actually think its gotten a little worse the
past few years, but its good enough that I haven't cracked a catalog in a few years.. And they just sent me
a new one.. (I only get the odd #'s, they skip me on the evens). I give out the old ones to customers...

If you want a lesson in frustration, try searching MSC for a 7/8" drill. You will get pages and pages and pages of
drills with a 1-7/8" length of cut... Because we always worry about how deep we can use the drill, and then
later on think about what DIAMETER the hole should be. Because the size of the hole doesn't matter, just
how deep the drill can go.

MSC is the worst corporation ever. Their web site developers should be drilled and tapped, planed and shaped, and then
tossed in the scrap bucket.

garyhlucas
02-06-2015, 09:28 PM
You know what is really nice? McMaster moved their North East operation to a new 600,000 sq. ft. building less than 5 miles from my house! Can you say "Will Call"? Amazon just built a 1,000,000 sq. ft. distribution center right next door.

lost_cause
02-06-2015, 10:30 PM
i find printed catalogs useful when i'm making something from scratch. i can thumb through and see a picture of a piece of hardware that i might not have known about or thought about. if i already know what i need, sure, an online catalog is fine, but if i don't know what i need then a printed one is beneficial.

landspeedrich
02-06-2015, 10:58 PM
I as well got #121 this week.Pay for shipping and you can have 120.May have 119 an 118 available in pretty nice shape.MC is #1 in my book,my order history right there.If I want to reorder a part # from 10 months ago,within a min.they tell me what it was.If I order by 10:30.I can have it in my building by 4pm.Nice that there only 25 miles away.
First come first serve on catalog. Rich

twopintsplease
02-06-2015, 11:58 PM
Hi Rich can you put me down for 120

Cheers
Fred

I as well got #121 this week.Pay for shipping and you can have 120.May have 119 an 118 available in pretty nice shape.MC is #1 in my book,my order history right there.If I want to reorder a part # from 10 months ago,within a min.they tell me what it was.If I order by 10:30.I can have it in my building by 4pm.Nice that there only 25 miles away.
First come first serve on catalog. Rich

Ohio Mike
02-07-2015, 08:38 AM
i find printed catalogs useful when i'm making something from scratch. i can thumb through and see a picture of a piece of hardware that i might not have known about or thought about. if i already know what i need, sure, an online catalog is fine, but if i don't know what i need then a printed one is beneficial.

I agree, its useful if you want a piece of hardware but don't know the name. However if you haven't tried McMaster website you really need to hop over there and take a look. You really don't need to know anything to use it. The groupings allow you to use it to find various things much like you would turning pages in the catalog. Best of all no BS, no ads and the filters work exactly as you'd expect.

landspeedrich
02-07-2015, 11:04 PM
Fred PM sent

KMoffett
02-08-2015, 11:27 AM
I agree that their Web catalog is the bench mark that all others should strive to achieve. That said, there are times that I don't know what I want is called. Or, I'm not even sure what I want. Then thumbing through their paper catalog will catch my eye something that will work for me.

Ken

Rosco-P
02-08-2015, 12:51 PM
I agree that their Web catalog is the bench mark that all others should strive to achieve.
Ken

Grainger has so much to learn....

johnd
02-08-2015, 03:31 PM
Now you guys tell me the old catalogs are still sought after.....I threw 4 away not too long ago when cleaning the office.

Check ebay to see that the old / pre asbestos ban ones are worth a lot, several hundred dollars each. As I understand it the lawyers are buying them up to be used as evidence and research material in lawsuits. Not sure when all the asbestos materials were removed, 1970 something I think.

Rosco-P
02-08-2015, 03:45 PM
One of several desirable years; http://www.ebay.com/itm/McMASTER-CARR-CATALOG-78-ASBESTOS-LITIGATION-McMASTER-CARR-1973-/371238332832?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item566f8769a0

keth524
02-08-2015, 07:19 PM
I will take a catalog if anyone else has one! thanks and let me know, ill pay shipping.

landspeedrich
02-08-2015, 08:30 PM
[QUOTE=keth524;966355]I will take a catalog if anyone else has one! thanks and let me know, ill pay shipping.[/QUO
I can check tomorrow if I have another 120,or 119 at work.Will let you know Monday. Rich

JoeLee
02-08-2015, 08:38 PM
McMaster's web site is about as good as they get! I still prefer the catalog tho, seems I can find things quicker, although I order on line. should see 121 on my desk Monday. Bob. I have to agree, their web site is the best I've seen also as compared to MSC or KBC Tools. You can find stuff on line in a fraction of the time it takes to flip through the catalog.

JL...............

becksmachine
02-08-2015, 08:56 PM
I will take a catalog if anyone else has one! thanks and let me know, ill pay shipping.

Hi Keth,

I think I have a #116 and a #118, if you want one and anyone else?

Pm me if you don't want your address public.

Dave

J. Randall
02-08-2015, 08:56 PM
Why bother with the paper catalog? Everything is now online at:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#

The last catalog I got was #101. Since then I've been doing everything with them online. The catalogs are obsolete the day they're printed. I can't count the number of times I called them with an order to find either the product spec or the price had changed. In some cases they no longer even carried the part.

I setup an online account and know exactly how much items cost before I even make an order.

The answer to that is simple, use the website for things you know you need. Use the paper catalog to browse for things you didn't know you needed.
James

gellfex
02-09-2015, 02:06 AM
You know what is really nice? McMaster moved their North East operation to a new 600,000 sq. ft. building less than 5 miles from my house! Can you say "Will Call"? Amazon just built a 1,000,000 sq. ft. distribution center right next door.

I have almost as good, same day delivery! If my order is in by 11am, I have it that afternoon by messenger service at UPS price. I agree the site is superb. I've told Victor that is if they had a persistent cart like McMaster they'd get more business from me. I like to throw things in the cart as I notice the need, then place an order when there's enough to warrant the shipping. Yeah, I could keep a paper list, but where did I put it.....?

I've got 116 and 119 for whoever will pay the freight. I guess I didn't notice when I went on the odd year schedule.