X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Southron
    • Nov 2014

Need Electric Motor Recopmmendation

I have a Smithy "Granite" Lathe/Mill/Drill Machine that came equipped with a Chinese electric motor.

The first electric motor lasted several years (until the warranty on the machine ran out) and then died. So, I ordered (and paid for it-$200.00) another Chinese made electric motor from Smithy and that one died out after about a month.

Then Smithy replaced the replacement Chinese motor free under warranty.

Well, after a couple of months, that replacement Chinese electric motor also died.....

I have had an electrician check my shop's wiring, and it is fine. The problem seems to be with those defective Chinese electric motors that Smithy sells.

CAN ANYONE PLEASE RECOMMEND A HIGH QUALITY, AMERICAN MADE ELECTRIC MOTOR (NAME, MODEL NUMBER AND WHERE TO BUY) I CAN INSTALL ON MY SMITHY 'GRANITE" LATHE/MILL/DRILL MACHINE THAT WON'T BURN OUT AFTER A COUPLE OF MONTHS?

I will greatly appreciate your recommendations based on your experience.

THANKS!!!!
  • J Tiers
    • Jan 2004

Nope, and I wouldn't even try.

Now, if you leave off the model number stuff, sure.... but how do we know what will fit your machine in place of the POS you have, without even a pic?

We don't have a smithy granite whatever its face, and can't do what you ask.
    CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
    Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
    Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
    I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
    Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• MaxHeadRoom
      • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Southron View Post

I have had an electrician check my shop's wiring, and it is fine. The problem seems to be with those defective Chinese electric motors that Smithy sells.

!
      It has been my experience it is the Start/run caps that fail on these Chinese 1ph induction motors, if the motor itself is still OK, often fitting a quality replacement Capacitor can do the trick, for run caps, ensure a motor rated Run type is used.
      Max.

Comment

• Rosco-P
        • Mar 2012

You could describe the failure mode: let the magic smoke out; hums but doesn't spin up to speed (1725, 3450 RPM?); spins slowly, smell of burning insulation; trips breaker?

Existing motor specs: speed; horsepower; frame size; cap. start; cap. run; phase; voltage; etc.

Comment

• velocette
          • Oct 2011

Hi
          Here is a few links to a good range of motors.

Warehouse distributor for many top name manufacturers. Parker Hydraulics, Hypro Pumps, Prince Hydraulics. Direct from the factory. Surplus equipment. We buy large quantities of manufacturer's surplus or excess stock.

Warehouse distributor for many top name manufacturers. Parker Hydraulics, Hypro Pumps, Prince Hydraulics. Direct from the factory. Surplus equipment. We buy large quantities of manufacturer's surplus or excess stock.

%5FACMotors

If you are replacing the motor the what about a three phase motor and a VFD controller
          or a DC motor and AC to DC speed controller.
          This conversion will give a much more versatile machine and eliminate any "Single Phase Chatter".

I have no connection to the "Surplus Center" other than a very satisfied customer.

Eric
          Last edited by velocette; 02-12-2015, 03:27 PM.

Comment

• George Bulliss
            Administrator
            • Jan 2008

This is a fairly common problem with these. I'm sure you will be able to find some information about motor swaps over at the Yahoo Groups site for Smithy. Note, you will need a Yahoo account to sign up for the group.

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!
            George
            Traverse City, MI

Comment

• sch
              • Sep 2001

I agree with the capacitors as the most likely problem, but the internal motor switch in the end bell can fail to engage or disengage and cause problems. The start winding is supposed to
              be cut out by the internal switch but if the switch doesn't cut out the start winding will lose its smoke. Secondary problem with replacement motor is Chinese motor shafts tend to be
              larger than US standard so you will need to either shim or replace the step pulley as well. Surplus Center is a good source for US or European made replacement motors. Another
              thought is to get a 3 phase motor and VFD for really nice speed control. For 1hp or less motors this is an inexpensive improvement and 3ph motors are more reliable. It also allows
              threading at less than heart stopping speeds.
              Steve

Comment

• metalmagpie
                • Oct 2002

Can we assume your motors are manufactured with non-NEMA frames? You should start with the shaft size.
                Is it direct-coupled or belted? If it's direct-coupled then I'd fix one of your smoked motors. How hard can it
                be? But if it's belted, or if by some miracle it is e.g. a 56 frame, then it's very easy to replace.

Take a sharply-focused digital photo of the motor's nameplate and also a photo of the motor on the machine
                and post those. Then we can get down to business. And don't forget to post your location.

metalmagpie

Comment

• Black_Moons
                  • Aug 2009

Originally posted by metalmagpie View Post
                  Can we assume your motors are manufactured with non-NEMA frames? You should start with the shaft size.
                  Is it direct-coupled or belted? If it's direct-coupled then I'd fix one of your smoked motors. How hard can it
                  be? But if it's belted, or if by some miracle it is e.g. a 56 frame, then it's very easy to replace.

Take a sharply-focused digital photo of the motor's nameplate and also a photo of the motor on the machine
                  and post those. Then we can get down to business. And don't forget to post your location.

metalmagpie
                  Agreed. pics pics and more pics. If its not in focus, try try again, do NOT take the photo too close that your camera can't focus, an out of focus photo is worse then a further away photo in focus.
                  Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

• velocette
                    • Oct 2011

Hi Smithy
                    Did a search and turned up a whole lot of specifications on a "Granite Lathe Mill Drill" machine and find that you have not given enough information and sent a number of forum contributors off on the wrong track

However all is not lost with a little more details and if possible photos on your particular model as requested a replacement can be found.

With A DC motor and the controller properly setup to protect from overload the motor and controller will give very reliable service for many years service.

Have look @
                    Quality, low cost, accurate and efficiency are built into our tools - they are guaranteed to pay their own way. Do you want the best lathe, mill drill combo on the planet? Our commitment is to provide the type of cost-effective tools that can make parts production a profitable endeavor.

Hope this will help

Eric

Comment

• RichR
                      • Jan 2014

This is a repeat of a question the OP ask in November to which he never responded:

Comment

• lens42
                        • Oct 2012

Assuming the motor is not an oddball frame, Get a name brand 3-phase motor off eBay and a VFD from Automation Direct. At 1HP, total should be about $200.. I've gotten several motors for under $100 including shipping. One was $30. VFDs are not worth screwing around on eBay though because prices end up being close to new. Good VFDs are Teco FM50, or Hitachi. Once you have knob-controlled speed you never go back, and it will not die on you again.

Comment

• dian
                          • Mar 2010

you can put almost any motor in there. you will have to fabricate the base plate and a pulley. i have a 3 hp marathon with vfd. the little lathe takes off 3 mm in steel.

get another free replacement, so you can make the pulley.

Comment

• garyhlucas
                            • Mar 2013

When replacing a motor with a new one and adding a VFD for speed control it is a very good idea to use a larger motor. A good VFD can provide constant torque over a fairly broad range. However HP is torque x RPM so at 10% speed you have only 10% of the horsepower! So belt or gear changing is still necessary. This is why you see 10 to 20 hp motors on machining centers. Very few feed and speed combinations actually use the available HP.

Comment

• dian
                              • Mar 2010

how true.

Comment

Working...
                              X