PDA

View Full Version : Bathroom fan wiring problem

Black Forest
02-12-2015, 10:49 AM
I think I post about this one or two years ago but I have another problem.

Bathroom fan stopped working so I bought one from the equivalent to a Home Depot here in Germany. Not great quality but will do until the better one gets here.

There are four wires coming into the fan. earth ground, neutral, one wire that stays hot whether the switch is on or off and one wire that goes hot when the light switch is turned on.

The fan is supposed to stay on for a settable amount of time after the light is turned off.

So which wire goes where according to the wiring diagram? Does the always hot wire go to the timer? (that is my guess) and the other wire that goes hot with the light switch activated connect to the L terminal?
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab91/burnandreturn/fan_zps9789212a.jpg (http://s853.photobucket.com/user/burnandreturn/media/fan_zps9789212a.jpg.html)

RichR
02-12-2015, 01:12 PM
The left terminal is neutral. The right terminal is always hot. The one in the middle goes to the switched (hot) side of the light.

Paul Alciatore
02-12-2015, 02:30 PM
Rich's response sounds reasonable, but didn't it come with instructions?

I don't think you will break anything by experimenting as long as you keep the ground and neutral connections correct.

Carm
02-12-2015, 02:44 PM
What I don't understand, where's the other switch line?

Jon Heron
02-12-2015, 02:54 PM
There are no neutrals in Germany :)
You have it right BF, put the switched leg to the lamp and the always hot leg to the timer, the other leg will go to the other side of the lamp and timer.
By the look of the drawing it is designed to have constant power and the switch is integral to the fan unit? if you want to separate this and use your wall switch for the light you will have to bypass it in the fan enclosure.
Cheers,
Jon

hermetic
02-12-2015, 05:26 PM
No neutrals in germany (LOLS) the timer is electronic, it senses the pulse from the switch, so it only needs one wire to turn it on, when you switch off the timer starts running down (electronically) and the permanent live/hot wire keeps the fan running till the timer switches off the fan