PDA

View Full Version : SHARS "Z" Power Feed ??

rbertalotto
02-14-2015, 09:38 AM
I just ordered a Sars APZ-150 to power feed the knee on my Grizzly milling machine. Anyone here have any experience with this?

http://www.shars.com/products/view/20357/APZ150_Milling_Machine_Power_Feed_Z_Traverse_150_L bs

michigan doug
02-14-2015, 11:05 AM
I got the x-axis version. No complaints 3 years later.

doug

Luminast
02-14-2015, 12:06 PM
I've been considering something like this for the knee of my mill. Please consider to add here your impressions of this unit after you get it installed.

demerrill
02-14-2015, 01:32 PM
James Kilroy videos of installation of the Shars X-axis power feed on a Hurco vertical mill:
Starts here at Power Feed #1 and continues through Power Feed #6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_gofXN6LMY

For a non-Bridgeport mill some modifications with regard to shaft diameter/length and the Z-axis multi-tooth coupling might be required (or not; ask).

David Merrill

macona
02-14-2015, 03:25 PM
Bought an X from them and the speed control went bad. Tried, tried, and tried to get the right parts from them to fix it and they never did come up with them. I think I just ditched it and went with a Servo brand.

jlh
02-14-2015, 03:57 PM
Bought an X from them and the speed control went bad. Tried, tried, and tried to get the right parts from them to fix it and they never did come up with them. I think I just ditched it and went with a Servo brand.

I had the same problem with a chinese (Asong) X power feed. The speed control potentiometer is not durable enough and needs to be replaced. I bought some good 10K linear pots from an electronic supply and installed one --- never another problem. Has worked without a hitch for 10 years since then.
Jim

Doozer
02-14-2015, 05:06 PM
That power feed looks like an exact copy of the one Servo was importing can calling it the Dynamo.
It is less expensive ($365 in their sale catalog at Penn Tool) than their made in USA line ($550 or more),
but is is sold (marketed) by Servo company, so I would expect them to supply parts and service with them
also. They (I think) are actually a bit nicer than the original Servo design, in that it has a real clutch linked
to the knob and not a gear crashing deal, some of you know what I mean.
For the extra $30 (as compared to the Shars unit) I personally would order the Servo Dynamo unit
from Penn Tool or elsewhere. My buddy has one and I have played with it, and it is way nicer than
the old style unit. It is nothing like those cheaply made Allign brand units either. Give the Dynamo
a good look over before buying a Shars unit.
--Doozer
https://www.penntoolco.com/catalog/products/products.cfm?categoryID=5872
https://www.penntoolco.com/images/catalog/5872.gif

v860rich
02-14-2015, 09:33 PM
I have the Shar's unit on my X and had problems with the potentiometer after a couple of times using it.
Called them and they asked me to return it at their expense.
It came back working and has worked great ever since.

I also have their 3 axis DRO on the same mill and have never had any issues with it.

For my knee (Z) axis power feed I use one I made that uses a 1/2" drill for power, I don't know how great this would be if you used the mill all day long, but it works great for me.
I think the commercial one of these is called a Crank Yanker and I believe they advertise in Village Presses magazines.

THANX RICH

macona
02-14-2015, 10:30 PM
I think I did try the pot and it made no difference, it just went to full speed so the scrs were probably shorted. But it was not my place to dig into it to fix it, it was not even a month old.

Doozer
02-14-2015, 10:50 PM
http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt333/rbehner/MACHINE%20SHOP/pwrdts.jpg

Not mine,,,
But I would love to rig up one of these!!
Especially since I bought my big lathe.
--Doozer

MichaelP
02-14-2015, 11:03 PM
That power feed looks like an exact copy of the one Servo was importing can calling it the Dynamo.
It is less expensive ($365 in their sale catalog at Penn Tool) Doozer, could you please give me a link or other info where Penn Tool lists the z-axis Servo Dynamo for $365?
Thank you.
Mike

Doozer
02-14-2015, 11:28 PM
It is on the first inside page (page 2) of their 2014 SALE CATALOG.
(Blackish cover, with an import BP type mill, a Tesa height gauge, and
a Chick vise on the cover.) The Servo Dynamo is D-1000X $369.95
The D-1000Z (for the knee) is $449.95, it must come with brackets.
Not sure where to find it online.

--Doozer

MichaelP
02-14-2015, 11:37 PM
Thank you. $449+ is not as attractive as $365. ;)

Doozer
02-15-2015, 12:03 AM
Well all I can say is that I believe the Servo Dynamo
was out on the market first, and that the Shars unit
is a copy. If that adds any provenance to the Dynamo
being a better unit, I don't know.
The Dynamo I personally looked at was super nice.
I would like to compare a Shars unit in my hand also,
but I have not. I believe for my money, If I were buying
a powerfeed for a genuine Bridgeport or other USA built
mill, that I would spend the extra coin on the Dynamo
unit. If my mill was an Asian import, I might go with the
Shars unit. All this just to keep karma in alignment.

--Doozer

MichaelP
02-15-2015, 12:19 AM
Looks like Shars sells Servo Dynamo now.

rbertalotto
02-16-2015, 05:36 PM
Thank you. $449+ is not as attractive as $365.

Yup, I paid $330 shipped for the Shars unit. And that was aboutt $150 more than I really wanted to pay to power my Z knee.....:cool: I bid on a used unit on Ebay but lost it at $160. And the seller said "you needed to jog the handle a bit to get it to work"..............

flylo
02-16-2015, 08:40 PM
Enco page 489 http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=489&PARTPG=INLMK3&PMITEM=205-6321 150# Power feeds, put them in the cart & the price drops considerable, X axis drops to $299, y & z drop to $349, then they have free shipping or 10% off. I'm leaving in my cart till the next 20 or 30% & free shipping sale. So with only the 10% off the x=$269, the y&z=$314 each. Even more with a better sale like the March Madness I'm hoping for.
i use a cordless drill adapter that I paid $20 for 3 shipped on ebay when the 1st came out, sure beats the hand crank.

MichaelP
02-16-2015, 09:21 PM
The best price I could find on Servo Dynamo Z-axis power feed for BP Ser.1 was $399.

It's currently sold by Shars (aka discount_machine) on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/330690540969?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

rbertalotto
02-17-2015, 08:47 AM
WOW...Learn something new every day. I've not bought anything from ENCO for years because the prices always seem very high. Now I find out that when you put the item in your cart, the price comes down to a realistic amount. Who knew! They should say something about this in large bold print on their web site. I wonder how many other were making the same mistake.

flylo
02-17-2015, 11:28 AM
The cuurent 10% off OR free UPS is no deal. They do way better than that about once a month. Year end they did 30%off & free shipping, thats when I bought a BXA & CXA tool post.