PDA

View Full Version : how much is this basket case worth for a project?

Alistair Hosie
02-16-2015, 02:16 PM
I think maybe doing this up would be a bit of fine winter fun or is it too much see here Alistair ps also whats it worth as it stands?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141576665730

hermetic
02-16-2015, 03:19 PM
I would chance up to maybe 75-100, IF ITS COMPLETE! by that I mean that all the major assemblies are present and unbroken. Problem is he is breaking it, which usually means he has his eye on maximising his profit rather than getting rid of something he doesn't want. The other possibility of course is that it was incomplete when he bought it, or there is a major problem with it. Ask him!
Phil

skunkworks
02-16-2015, 03:38 PM
The auction is for 1 head screw from the gear head cover

Alistair Hosie
02-16-2015, 03:40 PM
Thanks Phil Yes I thought about eighty pounds or thereabouts he said most of it is there but by the time I pay to go to collect including ferry fare,and petrol too it will soon mount up.Anyone else for shaving LOL Alistair

tmarks11
02-16-2015, 09:39 PM
Since he is also selling a fully assembled, working Maximat lathe, I am guessing that all the parts are NOT available from the one he is parting out. My assumption is that it is in pieces because he had to rob parts from it to fix the other machine.

If he had to buy a whole other machine to get the parts he needed to make the other one work, then you might be getting into a project with no end point in sight.

J Tiers
02-17-2015, 08:20 AM
You can absolutely COUNT ON the fact that parts and pieces are missing.

Virtually nobody can take something apart like that, and then some time later, find them all. With parts thrown into boxes as seen in the ad, the parts are mixed up, and the seller probably has no clue what is or isn't there.

Add that to the fact that it probably was cannibalized, and the chances of all the parts being present are nil.

Weigh it up and pay scrap price less transport and profit.

JCHannum
02-17-2015, 09:03 AM
If you read the ad, he is not selling the complete machine, but parts only. The auction is for one screw and he will negotiate price for other parts or offer them up for auction.

"WE ARE BREAKING A MXIMAT V10 , MOST PARTS ARE AVAILABLE CURRENTLY. THE AUCTION IS FOR 1 HEAD SCREW FROM THE GEAR HEAD COVER

MESSAGE ME WITH YOUR REQUIREMENTS AND I WILL LIST ANY ITEM ON A BUY IT NOW OR IF YOU WANT ALL THE PARTS I WILL LIST A BUY IY NOW FOR A COMPLETE SALE PLEASE SEE PICTURES FOR AN INDICATION OF PARTS"

flylo
02-17-2015, 09:04 AM
I think he being honest selling it for parts as it's incomplete. I'd find a complete machine to restore because even if you buy it for scap you'll have tme & cost to pickup. I really hate to see most machines parted but this time IMHO it fits.

JCHannum
02-17-2015, 10:06 AM
Actually, it is a bait and switch ad and should be reported to eBay as it is against their policies.

Mike Amick
02-17-2015, 12:48 PM
this thread is hilarious. apparently the guys that trying to say what they would pay
for what is in the pictures, don't read the posts comments any better than they
do the ebay add.

Alistair Hosie
02-17-2015, 01:04 PM
You are wrong if you read the add properly he states quite clearly he is willing to sell it all.I had him call me and further verified it too.So I did read the add unlike you.Try again MIKE

IF YOU WANT ALL THE PARTS I WILL LIST A BUY IY NOW FOR A COMPLETE SALE PLEASE SEE PICTURES FOR AN INDICATION OF PARTS

Mark Rand
02-17-2015, 05:05 PM
The worst of the two beds and headstocks. The worst of the two tailstocks. The worst of the two carriages, cross slides and top slides.

Somewhat less than half the gearbox. No Apron. Lots of other bits missing. No tools etc.

To be honest, I'd think you'd be better off looking for a more complete starting point even If you had to get the passport out and come as far south as Carlisle or even Leeds/Manchester!

Seriously, If you're going to have to travel to find anything, you might come up lucky and be able to collect something by arrangement with a seller from further south at the Harrogate show, if health permits it?

When I rebuilt my Hardinge HLV it ended up with bits from five different machines, plus quite a lot that I'd made from scratch. I took a higher quality collection of scrap than that lot to the local tip rather than have it in circulation for some other poor fool to waste 5 years of his life over.

And If you did want it as-is then 60-100 would be my offer.

Regards
Mark

Mike Amick
02-17-2015, 05:11 PM
Grin .. thats fine Alistar. I like these Austrian lathes, i have a v11 myself. Just thinking
any body that wants a quid for just a bolt, isn't going to be reasonable for
(as others have said) the worst of the bunch.

Black_Moons
02-17-2015, 05:13 PM
The worst of the two beds and headstocks. The worst of the two tailstocks. The worst of the two carriages, cross slides and top slides.

Somewhat less than half the gearbox. No Apron. Lots of other bits missing. No tools etc.

To be honest, I'd think you'd be better off looking for a more complete starting point even If you had to get the passport out and come as far south as Carlisle or even Leeds/Manchester!

Seriously, If you're going to have to travel to find anything, you might come up lucky and be able to collect something by arrangement with a seller from further south at the Harrogate show, if health permits it?

When I rebuilt my Hardinge HLV it ended up with bits from five different machines, plus quite a lot that I'd made from scratch. I took a higher quality collection of scrap than that lot to the local tip rather than have it in circulation for some other poor fool to waste 5 years of his life over.
And If you did want it as-is then 60-100 would be my offer.
Regards
Mark

Agreed on all points. Seller has the right idea parting it out. That lathe might fix 4 or 5 other lathes that actually have a chance at being restored. As is it would take several hundred dollars of parts at least to fix it, if you can find them all locally. And that is a BIG if!

Find a lathe that is at least *intact* to start with, because then you will only have to replace the odd worn/broken part and at least know what the parts look like and can measure/remake if needed. With that lathe you'll have no clue what a missing part should look like.

The ONLY reason you would buy that lathe as is, is if you already have a functional or near functional lathe of the same model and want to use the e-bay lathe as parts for it.

Alistair Hosie
02-17-2015, 06:10 PM
Well said MIKe;) that puts you back into first place for the large spotted tie I am knitting with my teeth for your christmas surprise.LOL your old pal Alistair

Alistair Hosie
02-17-2015, 06:12 PM
Incidently I am going to heed advice and put on a rubber ear to continue with this one In other words Play the deaf man and leave well alone.Alistair