PDA

View Full Version : Jet GHB 1340 Lathe Manual

dlsinak
02-16-2015, 07:42 PM
Can someone direct me to where I can get a copy of the operator's manual for my Jet GHB 1340 lathe?

I cannot for the life of me get the three jaw chuck off. It is a D-4 or D-5 chuck (I think), definitely not screw on.

I'm sure the problem is me, not anything stuck or bent, etc..

Thanks, Dennis

tmarks11
02-16-2015, 09:21 PM
Can someone direct me to where I can get a copy of the operator's manual for my Jet GHB 1340 lathe?
I cannot for the life of me get the three jaw chuck off. It is a D-4 or D-5 chuck (I think), definitely not screw on.
I'm sure the problem is me, not anything stuck or bent, etc..
You whack it with a plastic hammer a few times after you released the three (D-4) or six (D-5) cam locks?

The spindle taper is tight enough that the chucks won't release without a few taps.

dlsinak
02-16-2015, 09:32 PM
Thanks, I suspected that a little brute force is necessary. ;)

Sparky_NY
02-16-2015, 10:34 PM
I have a pdf copy of the manual, including parts, for the GHB-1340A lathe if you want that. I am not sure what the differences are with the A suffix.
PM me your email and I will send it if you want it.

George

dlsinak
02-16-2015, 11:27 PM
I just sent you a PM. Thanks a bunch!
Dennis

tmc_31
02-17-2015, 09:25 AM
Hey Dennis,

I also have a Jet GHB 1340A lathe. A very fine machine in my humble estimation! The chuck will be a D1-4 (3 pegs). I agree with tmarks11's method of removing the chuck. Just be sure that you guard the ways under the chuck with a board or pillow or something. I have never had my chuck fall onto the ways while removing it, but the way it comes off, it could.

Tim

MikeL46
02-17-2015, 11:23 AM
I made a wooden chuck support out of 4x6 material for each chuck. Notched to fit the ways on the bottom and a circular cut to fit the chuck on top. About 1/16" clearance to the installed chuck. It is very helpful when installing the chuck, especially the heavy 10" 4 jaw. Before I made those, I always loosened the cam-locks, but left the one on top loose but engaged. Then when the blow from my dead blow hammer released the chuck, it wouldn't fall.

Mike