PDA

View Full Version : Single Axis inexpensive DRO that remains "on" ???

rbertalotto
02-17-2015, 03:32 PM
I have a Shooting Star DRO setup on my lathe. A while ago I added an inexpensive Igage 6" DRO to the tailstock quill. But this unit drives me crazy because it has some type of battery saver circuit and shuts itself off after a few minutes.

http://www.igaging.com/wpimages/wp16896d61_05.jpg

Do you folks know of an inexpensive (under $100) "Quill" type DRO with a remote readout that remains "ON" until I shut it off. Better yet if it runs off an AC adapter rather than batteries.

Thanks!

Black_Moons
02-17-2015, 04:43 PM
Get a standard caliper and adapt that. Most don't have autooff because they only save about 10% power by turning off the LCD and otherwise remain on to keep track of position. They still last months on dollar store LR44's.

One of mine likes to pretend its smart. It turns off after 5 minutes but turns back on whenever you move it, Just proving that it is really always on.

Another one of mine the on/off button started to fail from overuse. I have not noticed any difference in battery life since I stopped turning it off.

rbertalotto
02-17-2015, 04:52 PM
Thanks BM, but I need a remote display. I had a simple digital caliper mounted but it was inconvienient to use without the readout directly in front of me as I'm chambering the last few thou on a rifle barrel.

mattthemuppet
02-17-2015, 06:45 PM
I'm pretty sure that you can read digital calipers remotely (they have a port to do so), although I have absolutely no idea how to :)

J Tiers
02-18-2015, 08:25 AM
I was thinking about that igaging unit as a possible for a mill. The battery saver in addition to the rather bad woodworker type resolution are not looking good for it, though...

Does it lose position when it shuts off?

As for powering it, if you know the voltage it uses, putting together a simple shunt regulated power supply with a TL431 as the regulator should be fairly easy. The igaging does not take much current if they use a coin cell. Biggest issue may be the connections.

The TL431 is a 3 terminal IC that forms an adjustable "zener" @ 1% accuracy. Programmed with two resistors to any desired voltage from 2.5V up.

lwalker
02-18-2015, 12:19 PM
It keeps position even when the display is off. I had planned to build a little power supply for mine but never got around to it because the batteries lasted longer than I expected. They do come with spare batteries but I think the ones on my mill have been on the original batteries since I got them about 2 years ago.

I was thinking about that igaging unit as a possible for a mill. The battery saver in addition to the rather bad woodworker type resolution are not looking good for it, though...

Does it lose position when it shuts off?

As for powering it, if you know the voltage it uses, putting together a simple shunt regulated power supply with a TL431 as the regulator should be fairly easy. The igaging does not take much current if they use a coin cell. Biggest issue may be the connections.

The TL431 is a 3 terminal IC that forms an adjustable "zener" @ 1% accuracy. Programmed with two resistors to any desired voltage from 2.5V up.

davidl
02-18-2015, 04:37 PM
I'm pretty sure that you can read digital calipers remotely (they have a port to do so), although I have absolutely no idea how to :)

Have a look at this site. It tells you how togo about doing the modification. http://www.msh-tools.com/DRO/overview.html

regards

mattthemuppet
02-18-2015, 08:44 PM
that's cool, thanks David!