PDA

View Full Version : Can somebody say me why…

Okapi
02-21-2015, 08:46 PM
As I'm interested by finding a simple Starrett 284 Acme Standard Screw Thread Gauge, it's impossible to find US sellers which ask less than 20$ postage fees for this single item, do american sellers don't want to sell overseas or it is a problem with the post.

For sending similar item to USA from Switzerland, the cost is about 6£ ???

jep24601
02-21-2015, 09:06 PM
I think it is a problem with the post - they don't seem to have a small packet rate.

Mark Rand
02-21-2015, 09:06 PM
It probably comes from the USPS standard small 'fixed rate' package postage prices. That covers everything from a few grammes to a few pounds! It's worked well for me for a few packages, but it might seem expensive for low weight items. I've had 10 x 50mm glass mirrors; 3 x 16 oz bottles of Cannode spotting dye and 1400g of castings each for about $24.

aostling
02-21-2015, 09:20 PM
If you are dealing with eBay, the situation is different than it was two years ago. Except for items going to Canada eBay now relies exclusively on FedEx for their International Shipping Program, which is available to USA sellers. It opens up a risk-free world market for the sellers, who now do not have to worry about the shipping details. eBay handles the necessary customs forms, and all the other details.

The American seller does not see the final address, just ships the auction item to Kentucky (FedEx HQ), where it gets additional documentation for the overseas destination. The seller does not know the buyer's total postal charge, and is responsible only for the USPS cost of postage to Kentucky.

So the overseas buyer is going to see a much higher postal charge than the USA seller.

FedEx is fast, but it ain't cheap.

Cuttings
02-21-2015, 10:34 PM
That turns the light on for me also.
I am interested in a replacement head for the fish finder in my boat.
It can be had for about $40 US on ebay.
The shipping cost listed is $60 US which is absolutely ridiculous to ship something that might weigh about 2 or 3 lbs to Canada.
I sent an inquiry to the seller to see if he can come up with a better rate, but from what I see here he probably wonders what I am talking about.

legendboy
02-21-2015, 10:48 PM
I can't count the number of times I have bought something on ebay, paid a largish shipping charge and had the small item come in a huge box packed full of newspaper
Pure seller laziness afaic :mad:

RussZHC
02-21-2015, 11:11 PM
First, one needs to stay on top of what USPS does regarding sizes and costs of various boxes as it certainly appears as if SOME Ebay sellers are just randomly picking dollar amounts for sending via USPS to Canada, there very often appears to be no relationship between the cost and the size of the item.

USPS website seven flat rate boxes, two "express"($66.95), two large ($55.75), two medium ($42.25) (same size as express boxes) and one small box ($20.55).
Max weight of 20lbs, max dollar in small box of $400US
Additionally and something even fewer sellers will do is ship a random size box (to Canada max length of 79", length plus girth max of 108", max of 70lbs) that is based, after size, on weight (calculation just completed puts a 65 lb box within the size limit at $192). There are also many sizes of padded envelops, did not check on those. It is not that it can not be done, its that most sellers do not want the extra hassle. I suspect in the case of the OP, that gauge could easily be sent in a cheaper DVD size padded envelop.
The current costs are considerably more than the last time I actively was buying on EBay, the small has changed little but the large is about 20% more.
Some sellers are not making it easy for the buyer as I have found the percentage using "express" has gone up and the click on option will not change unless the seller is contacted (so an extra step, though that could easily be the EBay side of things not the sellers directly)

Found the info about much being FedEx of interest because some sellers are only willing to ship through "Global" which, based on earlier post, I assume is FedEx.
As with UPS and though one can act as their own customs agent (according to latest I have from Canadian side of the border, regardless of what some sellers seem to imply), "Global" has a fee for customs and duties ("you will not pay more on receiving delivery") plus a fee for shipping and there appears to be no way around the fee for customs (which does not always get charged when using USPS).
Again, last time I was buying a fair bit on EBay, the cost for USPS was considerably lower than "Global", at this point, based on checking similar items, the "Global" costs are generally less so something has changed.

As an aside, last time I looked Canada Post will sell you a fancy box, not sure how many sizes are offered but you getting charged for all based on weight, size and distances plus more for various levels of insurance (there maybe an automatic base of $100 included with any shipping, there was at one point).

oldtiffie
02-21-2015, 11:18 PM
As I'm interested by finding a simple Starrett 284 Acme Standard Screw Thread Gauge, it's impossible to find US sellers which ask less than 20$ postage fees for this single item, do american sellers don't want to sell overseas or it is a problem with the post.

For sending similar item to USA from Switzerland, the cost is about 6£ ???

Why the need for Starrett?

Why not a European (German?)-made item as the OP is in Switzerland?

I'd be very surprised if Black Forest (member here in Germany) could not source a really good better priced item that will be at least as good if not better.

Try:
https://www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Starrett+284+Acme+Standard+Screw+Thr ead+Gauge

Okapi
02-22-2015, 04:30 AM
Thanks for all replies, I was just astonished principally because when I send to USA Ifanger blades or cutting ends, which can be send in a letter less than 20mm. thickness, and for the same weight, the cost is as said less than $10.

@oldtiffie, I use this n°284 Starrett tool for optically controlling my cutters to repair trapezoidal threads when repairing lathes or milling machines during the grinding process with a cylindrical base, and its nobody making that(or I've not found) with that profile, long and thin, my other gauges have the measuring spaces on sides, it's clear that making myself a new one is not a problem for more than 20 minutes, but I like Starrett tools.:o

I like to use another tool from Starrett (http://www.lecollectionneur.ch/reglage-filetage/) for sharpening edges which is the same we have to make when was an apprentice, mine is as new in the box I put it 35 years ago…:rolleyes:

sawlog
02-22-2015, 05:36 AM
Some of the smaller individual sellers jack up the shipping and handling fees as a profit center. E bay does not charge commission on S & H fees or did not the last time I sold any thing on the site. Just another way to make a buck, I always factor in the shipping cost in my bids and purchases because that is the total cost to the door.
Overseas mailing can be expensive, I sent someone some excess delrin that I had, it was sent to England. The postage was 4 times what the same package was sent across the US. The custom forms are not a biggie, it is simple to fill out, the real problem is the value you place on the items for the person that you are sending the item to.

Ridgerunner
02-22-2015, 06:00 AM
Sometimes a person from Canada or overseas will ask a shipping cost. This requires a trip to the USPS during business hours, waiting in line, telling the clerk that "no" I don't want to ship the item I just want a price and the necessary forms that must be filled out. Then notify the buyer, that argues that the shipping price is high and they then may not buy the item.
For US shipping the post office lobby is open 24 hours. There is a machine there with a touch screen where the US address is input. A credit card for payment and the postage and receipt are printed. There is a bin the package is dropped in. 1-2 minutes maximum.

sawlog
02-22-2015, 06:29 AM
For US shipping the post office lobby is open 24 hours. There is a machine there with a touch screen where the US address is input. A credit card for payment and the postage and receipt are printed. There is a bin the package is dropped in. 1-2 minutes maximum.

Those machines need to be in every PO. The town I live in and the county seat does not have one of those machines. I have used those machines that was in a PO in one of the cites I lived in and it is convenient.

sch
02-22-2015, 07:50 AM
I have experienced the opposite problem: several bicycle parts companies in Britain/UK have reached a large US customer base by offering "free shipping" and prices that not
unusually are LOWER than US prices. OTOH, I was going to order some unique items from ArcEuro Trade and on an item weighing <500 grams the shipping was ~$30 on an
item costing ~$50.

Beazld
02-22-2015, 07:57 AM
I recently purchased replacement parts for a small model airplane engine direct from the manufacturer (Enya) in Japan. They shipped the parts in a small padded envelope via Japanese Registered Air Mail and it cost a whopping $6.00 USD for shipping. A lot of distributors see shipping as a profit center.

lynnl
02-22-2015, 08:21 AM
The American seller does not see the final address, just ships the auction item to Kentucky (FedEx HQ), where it gets additional documentation for the overseas destination. The seller does not know the buyer's total postal charge, and is responsible only for the USPS cost of postage to Kentucky.

Did you mean to say Memphis, TN? That is the HQ of FedEx, ..... unless it has moved recently.

lakeside53
02-22-2015, 11:56 AM
Sometimes a person from Canada or overseas will ask a shipping cost. This requires a trip to the USPS during business hours, waiting in line, telling the clerk that "no" I don't want to ship the item I just want a price and the necessary forms that must be filled out. Then notify the buyer, that argues that the shipping price is high and they then may not buy the item.

You can do all that online in minutes.... including the forms. Dead simple.

Cuttings
02-22-2015, 12:26 PM
Here is an interesting comparison.
I have a package coming from an eBay seller in Canada which weighs at least 10 lbs.
The shipping on it via Canada Post is $30 C.
The one I mentioned earlier from the US via USPS and weighing maybe 3 lbs. is quoted at $75.06 C

dian
02-22-2015, 12:37 PM
i wonder how the chinese do it. i buy a $10 flashlight, free shipping, and i get it a few days later for $10.

MaxHeadRoom
02-22-2015, 01:02 PM
Here is an interesting comparison.
I have a package coming from an eBay seller in Canada which weighs at least 10 lbs.
The shipping on it via Canada Post is $30 C.
The one I mentioned earlier from the US via USPS and weighing maybe 3 lbs. is quoted at $75.06 C

One problem when buying from a US seller is when they use the ebay Global Shipping Program via Pitney Bowes who supposedly takes care of all customs clearance etc.
The problem is the charges are in many cases absolutely ridiculous, I refuse to buy anything where the seller uses the GSP and emails him to see if he will ship USPS, which is usually 1/3rd the price.
If enough people contact the sellers, they may get the message?
Max.

danlb
02-22-2015, 01:20 PM
Part of the reason for the disparate costs is the way that international mail works. The originating country sets the price. The receiving country eats the cost of delivering it in their country.

Look up the Universal Postal Union for more information. Virtually every country belongs to this body. Here are a few important points from Wiki.

The UPU established that:

1) There should be a uniform flat rate to mail a letter anywhere in the world
2) Postal authorities should give equal treatment to foreign and domestic mail
3) Each country should retain all money it has collected for international postage.

The result is that a country that is trying to promote exports of small goods can charge $1 for an international envelope, drop it on a container ship and leave it to the other country to truck it thousands of miles and deliver it to the door. Obviously the originating country can handle the mail in a very streamlined manner since large amounts of letters/packages are going from single points (like Hong Kong) to a single point (The foreign post office.) Once that shipping container gets to the destination nation, each item has to be sorted and dispatched, which is a lot more work, and they get nothing for it.

From a seller's perspective, as I'm not running a business, I don't care to sell to foreign buyers. Once the package leaves the US I have no power over what happens. I can't sue for fraud. I can't fight if the payment is retracted. Charging more for international is one way to discourage international buyers.

Dan

MaxHeadRoom
02-22-2015, 01:33 PM
From a seller's perspective, as I'm not running a business, I don't care to sell to foreign buyers. Once the package leaves the US I have no power over what happens. I can't sue for fraud. I can't fight if the payment is retracted. Charging more for international is one way to discourage international buyers.

Dan
If you are talking ebay, there is no need to charge more for shipping international as a discouragement , just set the ads to US only!
There was a recent ad from a US seller which was located just the other side of the border from me, for an item listed as BIN for $10.00, the shipping GSP was $29.00 for a small boxed item. I know it was no where near that for USPS.
Max.

aostling
02-22-2015, 01:44 PM
Did you mean to say Memphis, TN? That is the HQ of FedEx, ..... unless it has moved recently.

I've used eBay's Global Shipping Program several times, and in each case I recall sending the item by USPS Priority Mail to a location in Kentucky. You are right, this is not FedEx HQ -- it may be one of their shipping centers.

Black_Moons
02-22-2015, 02:57 PM
Iv been buying stuff from the UK a lot more now that UK sellers are opening up to shipping to Canada, as shipping is wayy cheaper for most items.

No, I have no idea why putting a packet on an aircraft to cross a huge sea and getting it to me in a week is somehow half to one quarter the price of putting it on a truck and having it cross the worlds largest undefended boarder and arrive in 2 to 3 weeks.

All I can assume is American shipping companies are greedy bastards and don't want my business.

Quick example (prices in USD, destination is canada, bc): 80cc piston for GT80. China: $9.60 shipping. UK: $6.07, USA: $22.55 from one seller, $32.60 from another.
PS: item costs where $12 for the chinese piston, $29.90 for the UK piston, $49.99 and $80.96 for the US pistons.
Oh, here is a US seller who only wants $7 shipping somehow. Of course he wants $75.23 for the piston... And the shipping is still more then from the UK.

Ridgerunner
02-22-2015, 04:44 PM
You can do all that online in minutes.... including the forms. Dead simple.

I don't own a scale and the weight is near the International USPS 4 pound break point depending on what options buyers want. With US priority domestic shipping in this box size it just has to weigh less than 70 pounds.

Some services such as Registered Mail™ and Certificate of Mailing can only be done at the post office and not online, at least for certain countries.

I have had packages opened by customs and parts went missing, then have to pay more money and paperwork to send $.50 worth of parts.

I do not sell on Ebay but take money through Paypal. With the last international package Paypal charged me a currency exchange fee which I had to eat.

Shipping with US priority domestic includes a tracking number and insurance. Once a package hits the border it drops in to a black hole and depends on another countries regulations for tracking if available and an additional fee has been payed.

US shipping is dead simple. International can be a can of worms; particularly for an unsophisticated and small potatoes person like myself.

MaxHeadRoom
02-22-2015, 04:53 PM
I just did a cheapest price comparison shipping from Can to US (Cal) and from US to Can small box 12x12x3 1lb.
The CanPost was $16.95, the USPS to Canada was between 21.00 & $30.00 and up depending on service.
Max.

wierdscience
02-22-2015, 05:39 PM
The easiest way to solve problems with shipping is to get your own shipping account with UPS,Fedex etc.
Many sellers will allow you to provide your own shipping,you are in control of the whole thing and pay only what you see.
There is a caveat however,some sellers get volume discounts ad sometimes using their shipping is cheaper than DIY.

aostling
02-22-2015, 05:44 PM
I just did a cheapest price comparison shipping from Can to US (Cal) and from US to Can small box 12x12x3 1lb.
The CanPost was $16.95, the USPS to Canada was between 21.00 & $30.00 and up depending on service.
Max.

A one pound package by USPS from USA to Canada by First Class Package International is only $10.95.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u183/aostling/Screen%20Shot%202015-02-22%20at%203.40.53%20PM_zpssttgqgeg.png (http://s168.photobucket.com/user/aostling/media/Screen%20Shot%202015-02-22%20at%203.40.53%20PM_zpssttgqgeg.png.html)

oldtiffie
02-22-2015, 06:05 PM
It seems that despite all the complaints that nothing much has changed for the better so far recently and that its not likely to change in the buyers favour anytime soon.

So it seems that if you want that item from that trader that you only have two options - pay up or go without.

Okapi
02-22-2015, 07:54 PM
I've choosen to search a seller with a normal postage fee for a simple letter, waiting that time I've make a copy this afternoon…

I don't know if you're numerous like me to use some tools from specified makers, for example, I'm an user and collector of the smallest Stanley wood planes, especially for restoring or repairing old frames in the same manner it was made originally, without electric tooling, it's really a pleasure for me to use those vintage tools which are perfectly made for their purpose, but it's out of my question, excuse me.http://i84.servimg.com/u/f84/11/04/31/48/timide10.gif (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=891&u=11043148)

fixerdave
02-23-2015, 12:28 AM
I've pretty much given up on ordering anything US. I've mail-ordered a lot of stuff over the years but US suppliers are just not worth the hassle and expense. My first choice is China, second is anywhere from Canada. US stuff always seems to get nailed by customs and sellers there seem courier-happy. I've had them state USPS shipping and then use a courier. They don't get that I DON'T WANT a courier... stupid customs brokerages fees they charge at the receiving end are ridiculous, but the US shippers don't see or consider this. Somehow, they think they're doing me a favor. I hate couriers... even if they don't burn me on brokerage fees, it seems I'm never home when they deliver. Then, I have to drive out to some stupid place to pick it up... I can walk to the postal outlet in 2 minutes. For all we Canadians complain about our postal service... at the receiving end, I'd take them over any other service.

For shipping, China rocks as they are definitely taking advantage of the international system. I mean, I'm sitting there in my chair watching some Canadian Postie drive his truck up to my door and deliver some package that I paid $12 for, shipping included. It's insane. I routinely get stupid little things in the mail shipped from China, $0.99 shipping included. I couldn't ship a postcard back to China for that. Not even twice that. Every year, it seems international shipping gets more expensive from Canada and I expect this is to offset the costs of delivering all that Chinese stuff sent here. Sooner or later it has to fall apart. It's pretty broken, but I like it.

David...