PDA

View Full Version : OT: Light switch problem

Black Forest
02-22-2015, 01:09 PM
I have a room in my house that my wife keeps bugging me to do something about the light in the room. This is the problem. There is only one light switch and it is at the door. Trenching the the walls to run wire over to the bed is something I would like to avoid.

I was thinking of some kind of wireless remote to shut the light off once the person was in bed. But then the switch at the door wouldn't turn the light on again unless the remote was activated. Not very practical.

So how can I have the switch at the door work regardless of what the remote has done? My thinking is if it is light in the morning then the person might not need the light and so not use the remote to turn the light on in the morning.

So what can I do?

boslab
02-22-2015, 01:14 PM
You can get a remote, the thing converts the switch to 2 way, ie common L1, L2 so the remote and switch work, if the remote is off switching the switch the other way brings the light on, so up could be off or on, if you see what I mean, most of them are dimmer enabled too
Mark

vpt
02-22-2015, 01:45 PM
When I was a kid the only light switch in my bedroom was like the same deal, way across the room.

One cristmas I got a "touch lamp" which was cool! I ran a wire off the touch lamp along the baseboard to the edge of my bed. To turn the light on or off I would just touch the bare wire.

The Artful Bodger
02-22-2015, 02:08 PM
Ummm, how about a motion detector switch (as in various security lights) mounted high on the wall and adjusted to turn the light on when someone is standing or walking around in the room?

Rosco-P
02-22-2015, 02:32 PM
Ummm, how about a motion detector switch (as in various security lights) mounted high on the wall and adjusted to turn the light on when someone is standing or walking around in the room?

What happens if someone is a restless sleeper or the pet comes in the room?

ikdor
02-22-2015, 02:59 PM
There is a system called click-on-click-off, but in the Netherlands we have our own name; klik-aan-klik-uit. The systems appear to be similar across the world so there's probably a German version as well.
Here's an example miniature module you place behind the original switch and then you can also control it by remote.
http://www.klikaanklikuit.nl/shop/nl/producten-1/ontvangers/awmr-301/
http://www.klikaanklikuit.nl/files/spotlight/awmr-300.jpg

You can control it with a flat stick-on switch like this:
http://www.klikaanklikuit.nl/shop/nl/producten-1/zenders/wandschakelaar-awst-8801/

Igor

The Artful Bodger
02-22-2015, 03:03 PM
What happens if someone is a restless sleeper or the pet comes in the room?

I doubt Black Forest lets his wife have horses in the bedroom.

MichaelP
02-22-2015, 03:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny8-G8EoWOw

;)

Black_Moons
02-22-2015, 03:23 PM
Moving to a house where the light switches where not placed by a blind monkey throwing darts at the wall after being spun around was one of the best things I ever did.

Seriously. One bedroom had a light switch that was by the window.. Just so burglars wouldn't trip and fall if they broke in through the window.

The other bedrooms light switch was clear across the room from the door, in the middle of the wall at 6' off the ground.
Light switch to the bathroom? its in the hallway on the way to the bathroom, before you take 2 rights to get into the bathroom.

Oh, and apparently the light switch by the window powered half the house by a wire that was *RESTING* on the screw terminal of the light switch. Not screwed in, just resting against it in the box. I found that out when the house mate kept running a space heater even though I told her it was going to burn the house down as the wiring sucked... It nearly burnt the house down within a week. power kept going intermittent in the 3 bedrooms (Means arcing/bad connection = TURN POWER OFF IMMEDIATELY MAJOR FIRE HAZORD), found 4" of charred to hell insulation inside the switch box, with only about 1/2" to go before it went into the wall.

flylo
02-22-2015, 03:32 PM
They had the answer here 30 years ago "The Clapper" LOL On the mothion light thing if you got too frsky in bed the lights would come on.:rolleyes:

danlb
02-22-2015, 03:36 PM
There are a lot of remote switches. I use X10 (going on 20 years old) for my bedroom.

Newer equivalents use Insteon or similar protocols. Smarthome.com is your friend (If you want to spend some cash)

Dan

Baz
02-22-2015, 03:39 PM
Think low tech. Eylet in ceiling above bed and another above switch. Piece of string hooked over switch. If you are in one of those idiot countries where up is on put another eylet in the floor. :D

brian Rupnow
02-22-2015, 03:55 PM
Buy two remotes. Leave wall switch permanently on. Tape one remote to wall beside switch, keep one remote by bed.

vincemulhollon
02-22-2015, 04:29 PM
What happens if someone is a restless sleeper

Just aim the sensor up high. However, just like my brilliant idea to install a hot air blower hand dryer in my bathroom like they have at public bathrooms, what seems calm and sensible in a loud well lit hardware store at 3pm turns into a scene out of "Animal House" at 3am when I'm the only one in the house awake... at least until it turns on. Luckily I never went thru with the hand dryer idea.

Anyway root cause analysis indicates the problem is needing enough light at night to stagger around without walking into things at 3am. Solution is to put some little floor lights / mood lights / night lights things down by the floor so you can see where you're walking without being blinded by a searchlight at 3am.

Amazon lists numerous motion sensitive nightlights available for $3 to $10 each.

In my wild youth, I had christmas lights on the ceiling for roughly this purpose. Just enough "mood lighting" to kinda see your way around in the middle of the night. That did look pretty hideous during the day, but really cool at night when chemically enhanced.

My wife always wanted to put those "rope light" things along the basement stairs, must remind her of some 70s disco she used to visit. That would work.

This plan assumes there are open power outlets along the walkway area.

Alistair Hosie
02-22-2015, 04:54 PM
I doubt Black Forest lets his wife have horses in the bedroom
Not needed as bf is built like a horse.

My little pony LOL .

sorry my bestest pal I couldn't resist LOL Alistair

flylo
02-22-2015, 05:08 PM
I doubt Black Forest lets his wife have horses in the bedroom
Not needed as bf is built like a horses arse.

My little pony LOL .

sorry my bestest pal I couldn't resist LOL Alistair

Are you saying your bestest friend is My little pony?:confused:

KIMFAB
02-22-2015, 05:11 PM
Here ya go. Try something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity%C2%AE-Wireless-Controlled-Electrical-Included/dp/B0087EIDRS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1424642884&sr=8-5&keywords=light+remote

Mount the remote where you want or get several.

vpt
02-22-2015, 05:50 PM
BB gun by the bed post.

oldtiffie
02-22-2015, 05:57 PM
Does BF's wife read his posts here?

If she does, I wonder what she thinks of this thread.

Juiceclone
02-22-2015, 07:16 PM
look up "X10 wireless control" it's been around for years. You can replace the switch with an X10 switch, and it can be dimmable also if you wish. You plug a small controller box's cord into a wall socket where you want to control the switch (you can have more than one of these points) and the controller(s) will control the circuit without affecting the switch useability at all. There are a number of "channels" on the controllers for other switches etc. Also a way of setting up for wireless control. It works by sending signals thru the house wiring. Not very expensive. Been using it for 15 years. Once you get into it ...well..it gets out of hand. All sorts of stuff available for this system.

Rosco-P
02-22-2015, 07:51 PM
Does or did x10 exist in the EU and for 220vac?

Paul Alciatore
02-23-2015, 01:00 AM
Replace the wall switch with one of these low Voltatge relays and a push button switch.

http://www.kyleswitchplates.com/low-voltage-switches-plates/

You will need a low Voltage transformer to power it.

Then add one of these to the relay control circuit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251423658093?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

It will work with any TV/VCR/DVD IR remote, even the $5 universals.

You will need to mount it in an electric box somewhere near the wall switch location, with a hole for the IR sensor to look out. Set it up for momentary outputs. Connect it to the low Voltage relay in parallel with the wall switch so both will control it. Follow all local and national codes.

danlb
02-23-2015, 01:25 AM
Does or did x10 exist in the EU and for 220vac?

Yes, X10 products are available for 220V us in the EU.

Dan

Black Forest
02-23-2015, 02:32 AM
Problem solved! I googled wireless light switch in German and lots of solutions came up. Amazon has a set with a small module that goes in the box behind the original wall switch and then a stick on wall switch that looks identical to the original wall switch. About a ten minute installation and done.

But I will give you guys credit for some very imaginative solutons! Ikor from the Netherlands post got me headed in the right direction. Thanks.

The beauty of the stick on wall switch is I can install this unit sometime when my wife is gone for a weekend. She will come home and think I bit the bullet and trenched the wires into the wall. Ten minutes work and the rest of the weekend to do whatever I want........I love modern technology!

Boostinjdm
02-23-2015, 02:41 AM
This problem was solved decades ago by putting a small lamp on the nightstand. Then later improved on by "The Clapper", and now re-solved with the remote light switch. I personally have my house memorized. If I need to see to get dressed/undressed in the dark, I leave the TV on.

justanengineer
02-23-2015, 02:44 AM
They had the answer here 30 years ago "The Clapper" LOL On the mothion light thing if you got too frsky in bed the lights would come on.:rolleyes:

Dont set the sensitivity on the clapper too high either or youll discover a similar effect. One of my exes who was equally as much of a sex-maniac as she was otherwise (hence being an ex) had one in her bedroom for drunk nights where she couldnt find all of the light switches. We had exactly ONE night that her apartment looked like a disco before I turned the clapper down, too distracting.

Black Forest
02-23-2015, 03:54 AM
Dont set the sensitivity on the clapper too high either or youll discover a similar effect. One of my exes who was equally as much of a sex-maniac as she was otherwise (hence being an ex) had one in her bedroom for drunk nights where she couldnt find all of the light switches. We had exactly ONE night that her apartment looked like a disco before I turned the clapper down, too distracting.

That Sir was a TMI for sure!:( Or were you bragging!

Black Forest
02-23-2015, 03:56 AM
This problem was solved decades ago by putting a small lamp on the nightstand. Then later improved on by "The Clapper", and now re-solved with the remote light switch. I personally have my house memorized. If I need to see to get dressed/undressed in the dark, I leave the TV on.

This is not for our bedroom. This is in one of the spare rooms.