PDA

View Full Version : Search function???

radkins
02-23-2015, 09:51 AM
When doing a search the results seem to come up in random order, am I missing something or is there just no rhyme or reason to it and the results really are just listed in random order?

What am I missing here?

RichR
02-23-2015, 11:26 AM
Hi radkins
The few times I tried the search function I got the same impression. Now I just use Google and add:

site:bbs.homeshopmachinist.net
to the end of my search terms so it only searches for stuff from this site.

lakeside53
02-23-2015, 11:35 AM
As above... forget the built in search function for general searches. It is useful for finding posts by a particular member, but not much more than that.

Stu
02-23-2015, 12:10 PM
If you use quotation marks before and after the item searched you can get more specific results. It's better, but still not the best

Stu

dp
02-23-2015, 04:24 PM
If you need more than a simple search then use the advanced search feature and save your preferences there. The default search pattern is to find any thread that has any of the search words you type in.

If you are searching for a particular phrase then put it in quotes.

If you are looking for posts with all the words then use a + between mandatory words. They are not considered a phrase with this method so for example if you use atlas OR craftsman AND lathe your searches will include either craftsman or atlas and lathe. The words in the actual post or thread will not necessarily show them in the pattern order.

You can also use NOT. For example, shaper NOT atlas will ignore any posts that include the word atlas. You must also select Posts to exclude entire threads which may contain posts with excluded words.

For a faster search choose a start date. There may be no point is searching material submitted before the appearance of an item or will provide information that may be superseded since earlier posts were written. You can also choose to sort the results by date, user, or relevance. I prefer the latter as it puts posts with the most returned search words first.

The quick search feature is rather undesciplined and can return posts that satisfy a best-effort attempt to find your word including sound-alike words hence the disappointment with it.

There is a minimum requirement of 4 or more letters in a word. You cannot find "oil" no matter how hard you try. Wildcards can be used but are incredibly inefficient. Searching for oil* can will find oil in one part of a post and can anywhere else in the post. Using "oil can" won't help. "oil* can" may work for you but can return oily can or oils can, etc.

radkins
02-23-2015, 05:03 PM
Thanks, I will try a few experimental searches and see what happens. Every time I have tried to use the search function the last year or so it has been an exercise in frustration!