PDA

View Full Version : How I anodize

raceneer
02-23-2015, 08:50 PM
Finally due to loads of PM's about how I get nice finishes in my home shop anodizing.

Here's part 1 talking about my process and just some general knowledge I learned along the way making parts.
I will actually anodize something for part 2.

I apologise if its a bit all over the shop, and goes for 20 minutes, but there's some good nuggets in there.
Next video I'll put it all into practice. I'm still getting used to making videos. Blah. But this setup is small, but expandable, and works really really well for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8EcmH7_X2o

IdahoJim
02-23-2015, 08:54 PM
It said the video is private.
Jim

Rosco-P
02-23-2015, 08:55 PM
This video is private.

raceneer
02-23-2015, 09:02 PM
Sorry.
There we go! Lol.

John Stevenson
02-24-2015, 04:39 AM
Thanks for that I'll watch it tonight as i have just last week bough a small kit to do some dials I need.

strokersix
02-24-2015, 01:07 PM
Cast aluminum will darken nicely if you run it through your dishwasher on hot pots-n-pans cycle. Discovered this by accident while working on an Offenhauser intake manifold.

Guido
02-24-2015, 01:54 PM
Tried to clean up alumnium valve cover, same way. Both my eyes turned black and swollen shut for two days when wife saw what I had done. She allowed the eyes were almost as dark as the VC. Don't even want to mention using the BBQ for rattlecan paint curing, but the black wrinkle finish was almost perfect. YMMV

chrisinestes
02-24-2015, 02:42 PM
Thanks a ton, raceneer.

I'm in the beginning/middle of figuring out the best way for me to anodize some things, and I need to do it for as little money as possible while still getting good results.

Chris

mattthemuppet
02-24-2015, 03:09 PM
neat, thanks! I've been meaning to get round to this for ages and my crappy old power supply finally bit the dust doing some rust removal, so I bit the bullet and bought a proper one. No excuses now!

Quick Q - I have aluminium plate electrodes for both sides of my tank. Do I need to strip these in the NaOH bath before use? Or am I getting my wires crossed with electrolytic rust removal?!

Also, do you ever desmut your parts with nitric acid after the NaOH step? I thought I heard you mention desmutting, but I didn't catch what you were using.

Great to hear the Aussie accent and references (Bunnings!) again.

raceneer
02-25-2015, 09:04 AM
neat, thanks! I've been meaning to get round to this for ages and my crappy old power supply finally bit the dust doing some rust removal, so I bit the bullet and bought a proper one. No excuses now!

Quick Q - I have aluminium plate electrodes for both sides of my tank. Do I need to strip these in the NaOH bath before use? Or am I getting my wires crossed with electrolytic rust removal?!

Also, do you ever desmut your parts with nitric acid after the NaOH step? I thought I heard you mention desmutting, but I didn't catch what you were using.

Great to hear the Aussie accent and references (Bunnings!) again.

Hey dudes. So I'm doing my entire setup as I anodize a part tonight... maybe tomorrow morning.

I do not use nitric acid, just naoh, come straight out of the bath into a rinse and into your acid tank. All you need.
Also don't be scared of NaOH. It can be your friend for removing microscratches and crap off a surface you want to look pretty. Dip it in NaOH, rinse it and scrub it in the sink, back in NaOH then into your rinse and acid bath. The surface finish will look amazing.

With the plate electrodes, all you need to do is give them a quick sand or wire brush each time, no need to strip them, just wipe off the brownish crud and I normally give them a quick blast with my wire brush on a drill.

Thats pretty much it. In my next video- I will not only anodize, but I'm going to show how to use aluminum as part of the anode connection if it works. It's a neat idea that I'm sure will look great :)

dian
02-25-2015, 09:48 AM
did you try impregnating with teflon?

Hopefuldave
02-25-2015, 03:39 PM
In my experiments I've used carbon rods[1] for the electrodes, they work pretty well and don't crud up at all - same in the E.G.B.E.R.T (Electrolytic Gungey Bubbling Encrustation Removal Tank), it's nice not having all the brown sludge and barnacles to scrape off the anode!

Asda Smart Price black ink for printers gives a nice rich and durable bronze colour, by the way...

[1] Arc gouging rods, with most of the copper stripped using ferric chloride - leave an inch on to solder leads to, saves spending hard-earned on clips and clamps!

mattthemuppet
02-25-2015, 05:07 PM
thanks Raceneer, I appreciate the tips!

raceneer
02-25-2015, 10:19 PM
I find using anything with lead or stainless corrodes faster then the part builds anodizing layer in bigger / multiple parts or if current density gets too high. I'll make my actual part tonight so you can see how it all goes. I got a plan to make it a better video. ;) Stay tuned

raceneer
02-26-2015, 09:53 AM
did you try impregnating with teflon?

No... interesting idea. I didn't even know thats a "Thing." But makes me curious as to what else you could technically impregnate with!
Finishing up the video atm

dian
02-26-2015, 09:57 AM
how could that be done? coat part with ptfe spray and put in watter?

raceneer
02-27-2015, 03:16 AM
Here ya go peeps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC9seuMRvbw
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC9seuMRvbw)
Better video :) 6061 rod I threaded worked great. Shoulda hung it vertical but this worked ok... can't wait to show the finished product later :)

raceneer
02-28-2015, 08:44 AM
Did you all see the second video? Anyone have any questions or tips please let us know!

shoeboxpaul
02-28-2015, 12:04 PM
Did you all see the second video? Anyone have any questions or tips please let us know!

The solution in the cleaning bucket, is that just Drano mixed with water or is it chemical specific to anodizing?

raceneer
02-28-2015, 08:19 PM
NaOH brother. Thats all ;) I had a neat tip recently from someone saying to reverse the polarity of the bath for a minute or two as well prior to your anodize. Haven't tried it yet but great tip, just hoping it doesn't make my bath dirtier, sooner... *Giggity*