PDA

View Full Version : Short's Stainers

Spin Doctor
06-07-2004, 06:13 PM
We've all had them. That moment when everything is sailing along without a hitch and "KABOOM". We're either left with a piece of scrap or if we're lucky just a cosmetically damaged work piece. Today I blew up a 7 x 1/2 x 1-1/4 grinding wheel when the piece came loose in a magnetic vee block. What's been your latest disastar

John Stevenson
06-07-2004, 06:17 PM
Some days it's getting out of bed in the morning.

John S.

Evan
06-07-2004, 06:38 PM
A while back I reached over and switched on a customer's power supply on the back of the computer. Immediately one of the filter capacitors in the PS exploded with a loud BANG. Damn near startled me of the chair I was sitting on. I reached back over to switch it off again and as my finger hit the switch the other capacitor exploded.

My Karelian Bear dog had a "moment" recently. She happens to like things that go bang since she asocciates it with hunting. She has never been bothered by thunder and lightning. We had a rip snorter of a thunder storm a little while ago and we were watching it (dog included) out the front window. Well, a bolt of lightning struck really close like just across the road and the bang it made nearly popped out the living room window. Bear dog leapt backwards about six feet and ran another six before turning around to notice that we weren't running. She looked pretty sheepish for a while. She doesn't like anyone to see even a trace of fear or vulnerability at any time.

ibewgypsie
06-07-2004, 06:44 PM
Gypsie's wife here...
our most recent disaster will be 18 in November. Kids! What to do with them? Once they start talking...ya can't give 'em away!

Forrest Addy
06-07-2004, 07:30 PM
Never had 'em.

Except maybe when I hooked the tool of a facing head under the outlet flange of a big condenser about the size of a Volksvagen and ripped it out of the clamps right off the riser block of a 6" G&L horizontal floor mill and sent it rolling down the aisle. It sounded like a thunderstorm and brought every gawker in the machine shop.

Or when the husband came home.

I'd rather have neither but If I had to choose I'd take the husband.

John Stevenson
06-07-2004, 08:14 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Forrest Addy:
Never had 'em.

Or when the husband came home.

I'd rather have neither but If I had to choose I'd take the husband.</font>

But surely Forrest when the husband came home you wouldn't have had any shorts on to stain?

John S.

wierdscience
06-07-2004, 08:52 PM
Spreader bar sling on the crane gave way,lost the 25ton load and nearly put the 85'lattice boom over backwards,but luckily the stays caught it and kept it upright,thou it did lift the outriggers off the ground on the boom side http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif Me in the cab BTW ,you know near all the crumpled metal http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//rolleyes.gif

Dave Opincarne
06-07-2004, 09:48 PM
Nothing recently (Nock Wood) but about 2 1/2 years a go I was replacing the trany in my cadilac. I had all four corners blocked up in order to get the trany in. The job was compleat and all I had to do was get the car back down. When I had raised the car up I had raised each end a couple of inches at a time and readjusted the stands to the new height untill it was high enough for me to get the trany in and out. Coming down I took to big a jump in height and the car became unstable and came off the stands all together. I was being real careful not to put myself in a position where I could be trapped and I was able to just step back out of the way, but I still needed to check my shorts. One of the stands got crushed flat but I still keep it with my jacks and stands as a reminder of what can happen.

Dave

Arbo
06-08-2004, 08:57 AM
Climb Milling....

A few weeks ago I was doing some climb milling on my Grizzly Mill/Drill. The end mill grabbed the part, and spun the whole head of the machine and spun it around the round column about 80*. All that took about 2/10 of a second, and the only thing that I didn't recover was the endmill and my underwear. I won't make that mistake any time soon again.

pgmrdan
06-08-2004, 09:45 AM

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 09-02-2004).]

tonydacrow
06-08-2004, 10:20 AM
A few years ago, I was replacing the timing belt on my car. One of the things you do when replacing the belt is take the sparkplugs out, so there's no compression in the cylinders. Guess who didn’t do that? I was in too much of a hurry.

As I was putting the belt on, I tried to spin the belt sprocket so that the timing marks lined up properly. Got my left, middle finger in between two mating gears just as the compression in the cylinders caused the crankshaft to rotate. Pulled my finger into the gears up to the first knuckle. Spent the next 15 mins. calling for my wife to come out and help. By the time she got there, I found a fencing hammer on the ground, put the hook end in the biggest gear and turned my finger out.

The finger was smashed, but the bone wasn’t broken badly and it healed-up nicely. I don’t even have a scar!

suprdvn
06-08-2004, 11:41 AM
I was moving a “tie-bar” for a die cast machine, 8-½” solid diameter 15 feet long. We move it with our biggest forklift. It hangs underneath a fork pointing ahead of the fork lift like it’s excited or something. There’s a chain at the end of the fork and a V-block under the back of the fork to keep the bar from twisting out. There’s hardly room to drive the big forklift alone much less with an added 15 feet of length, so it is routine to have to lift the bar way up in order to make turns. Well I must have had the chain too close to the end of the fork and it popped off when it was about 5-6 feet up. KABAMM! Of course everyone came to see what the noise was. Later I saw my foreman looking at the holes in the concrete, one from the end of the bar and one where it came down on the chain. Nothing was ever said about it.

The cable on a hoist snapped with a ten ton load 3 feet up. It punched a rectangular hole in the concrete 15”x 36” about 2” deep. Luckily no one was close at the time. Now every one knows why they are reprimanded when they are caught with there head underneath without added support.

Just yesterday I was cutting the left side of a workpiece in a vise. I had my left hand on the table handle and cranking the saddle with my right. The end mill caught a parallel and threw it out of the chuck like a bullet and came within inches of hitting my face.

Super Dave

[This message has been edited by suprdvn (edited 06-09-2004).]