PDA

View Full Version : Cincinnati No. 0-8 Horizontal Mill

gmax137
02-27-2015, 04:08 PM
Anyone have a Cincinnati No. 0-8 horizontal "plain automatic milling machine"? A friend has one (missing the motor) that I can have for getting it out of his way. Is this a useful mill for HSM type stuff? I don't have a mill of any sort. Is this too much a "production" machine for general small milling chores? Thanks

Toolguy
02-27-2015, 04:44 PM
A horizontal mill can do a lot of great work, but is cumbersome to use for general purpose. For that you want a vertical that can be used like a drill press. That is why Bridgeports were so popular. For the price (free) I would get the Cinci, it's a nice machine, and add another vertical mill later. Then you will have the best of both worlds.

Ohio Mike
02-27-2015, 05:33 PM
This isn't a vertical vs horizontal debate because this isn't an ordinary horizontal mill, its auto cycle production mill. These were designed to run pre-programed cycles much like a turret lathe or screw machine. Operator loads a part and the machine cycles then comes back and waits for the operator to load the next part and start the cycle again. I believe Cincinnati used cams set the cycle, and change gears but not sure I've never had the pleasure of tinkering with one. Does this one have cranks for the table axes?

Carm
02-27-2015, 05:38 PM
If you can only have one mill, this won't be the one. Weighs about as much as std. B-port but has a bigger footprint. #40 tooling is not cheap. As Toolguy said, not easy to get around on and I don't think it has a quill.
For free ( moving it won't be) absolutely! Lots of features that remove metal ferociously and with a little ingenuity could be versatile.

John Buffum
02-27-2015, 06:08 PM
Looking at the Youtube video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk3MMqBT4dk, This is almost a benchtop machine. Not a giant footprint, but it limits you a lot in what you can do. Space under the spindle is very limited, so would be the size of the workpiece. Consider the diameter of the cutter, and how much vertical space is occupied by the fixture, e.g. the vise.

It would make an interesting boring machine, and, retracting the overarm, you could do end milling with right setup. The challenge would be the length of the end mill, the thickness of the workpiece, and how much space to clamp the fixture before you ran out of your Y axis.

I'm facing all these issues, now, with a benchtop Atlas horizontal mill.

If you have the amount of room covered by the pedestal of this, I'd go with a vertical mill. Lots more versatility. You can make much better use of rotary tables, vises, and other fixtures.

Now, if you had a Cincinnati Model 3, those limits disappear. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoMAjk4Wg-4

J Tiers
02-27-2015, 11:13 PM
This and the companion vertical version have no amenities at all. No knee, you fixture most everything, although the vertical can move the head, as I recall.

There are versions, IIRC, that have more hand control, but no more of the usual manual mill knobs and dials. All I think is present is a manual feed to replace the auto feed on the one in the video. One axis feed, production all the way.

You don't want one unless you do production, and have some sort of repetitive single cut to make. That one looks like it was set up last to straddle mill something. Pop the part in the fixture, hit the start button, and move on to the next machine... when you get around to it again, change parts, hit button.

gmax137
02-28-2015, 06:38 AM
Thanks for all your input!

I've been lurking here for awhile, soaking up a lot.