PDA

View Full Version : Dissolve Loctite 648?

Fasttrack
02-27-2015, 05:24 PM
I have a $1k assembly here that I've accidentally glued together with loctite 648... yeah yeah, I know ... clumsy bast*rd.

Anyway, a drip of 648 made its way between two parts with a clearance of about 0.025". Instead of just running out, it actually setup in the gap and has locked two parts together that are supposed to spin. There is plenty of exposed surface area for a solvent to attack the bond.

Any suggestions on a good solvent to dissolve this stuff? Heat and force are out of the question due to the fragile nature of the part.

Edit: I was able to pop the parts somewhat free, but now there are some hardened lumps of the stuff that need to be removed. So ... still looking for suggestions on a good solvent. I can't get a wire brush or etc. in the assembly to mechanically remove the remnants. Need something chemical...

gvasale
02-27-2015, 05:43 PM
You might try acetone. I works for crazy glue, though nothing is quick. Do not use nail polish remover. Even the salon grade is diluted.

oldtiffie
02-27-2015, 05:46 PM
https://www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ssl#q=dissolve+loctite

Willy
02-27-2015, 06:30 PM
I have used a methylene chloride based paint stripper to dissolve a green Loctite in the past but am unsure of it's effect on the 648. The green Loctite was a bearing retaining grade but I don't know the exact Loctite product number ( I'm thinking 609) so I cannot say for sure of it's affect on the 648.

Black_Moons
02-27-2015, 06:37 PM
Lacquer thinner. Its cheap by the gallon. Not much stands up to xylene/toluene. Hope you don't like the paint that is on it.

That or carb cleaner. I try to avoid brake cleaner because of just how deadly some of that stuff is, especially if you ever combine it with welding.

CCWKen
02-27-2015, 06:42 PM
Do you weld your brake shoes on? :confused: I don't get the connection.

CCWKen
02-27-2015, 07:21 PM
Well, I looked it up. It's Urethane Methacrylate so the usual solvents won't dissolve it. You'll need a strong paint stripper or powder coat stripper and even then it won't dissolve. It will just soften it enough where you may be able to scrape or wipe it off. It's considered a permanent adhesive.

Fasttrack
02-27-2015, 07:22 PM
Alright - plan is to dump it in a beaker with methyl chloride. If that fails, I'll try straight toluene or acetone.

648 is a green bearing retainer, very similar to 609.

Thanks guys!

Edit: Just saw CCWKen's post... hmm ... maybe chloroform?

interrupted_cut
02-27-2015, 08:55 PM
Nitromethane

Rich Carlstedt
02-27-2015, 09:14 PM
Nitromethane +1

I got a few ounces from a dragster owner
You have to watch out for model airplane fuel as it has caster oil in it
The superglue solvent/cleanup that they sell is Nitro and runs like 10 bucks for 2 ounces.
Rich

Willy
02-27-2015, 10:53 PM
Nitromethane

Nitromethane +1

I got a few ounces from a dragster owner
You have to watch out for model airplane fuel as it has caster oil in it
The superglue solvent/cleanup that they sell is Nitro and runs like 10 bucks for 2 ounces.
Rich

Bingo!
You guys nailed it perfectly, check the link below. Although unfortunately the price has gone up a bit, at least from this source.

http://www.techni-tool.com/512CH768

Fasttrack
02-27-2015, 11:00 PM
Interesting... wonder how well it will work with this 648 stuff... the 648 stuff advertises that it is highly resistant to solvents including acetone, benzene, etc. :(

I'll check the lab and see if we happen to have any. We do have an energetics department with lots of fuels and oxidizers... maybe I'll get lucky.

lakeside53
02-28-2015, 12:29 AM
You can also just heat it up and scrape it off.

Black_Moons
02-28-2015, 05:10 AM
Nitromethane

Pretty sure that stuff will strip plastic body panels off with the paint.

Don't get it within 10 feet of anything that might ever dissolve, or it will.

Rustybolt
02-28-2015, 09:15 AM
I'm with lakeside and rich on this one.
We buy the base for this stuff in 5 gal. buckets.
For the most part, after its dried, the only way to remove it is to scrape it off. Using heat is better. but if you're joining sensitive parts heat may not be an option. I'm all for strong solvents, but I don't think anything can just desolve it and wash it away. At best maybe soften it so it can be scraped off or the parts losened. If ball bearings are involved be careful not to wash out all the grease. A sealed bearing is sealed against dust, not liquid.

Willy
02-28-2015, 09:35 AM
The OP stated that heat and physical removal were not options in his particular case.

The nitromethane referenced to is sold by Loctite and is claimed by Loctite to dissolve cyanoacrylate-based adhesives. Sounds to me this is exactly what was requested in the OP. Mind you it's not cheap but then boo-boos usually aren't.:)

http://199.47.228.231/LOC76820.htm

LoctiteŽ 768™ X-NMS Cleanup Solvent is a parts cleaner that dissolves cured cyanoacrylate-based adhesives. It is used in the disassembly of parts and cleanup of dispensing equipment.

QSIMDO
02-28-2015, 10:34 AM
Nitromethane

Past experience indicates mixing in a percentage of propylene oxide with the nitro.
Then just travel a distance less than a 1/4 mile and the components will come apart violently of their own free will!
:D

Rosco-P
02-28-2015, 11:28 AM
Did the OP get the assembly apart? If so, using what concoction? Did the makers of Loctite offer any advice?

Fasttrack
02-28-2015, 12:06 PM
Did the OP get the assembly apart? If so, using what concoction? Did the makers of Loctite offer any advice?

Haven't tried it yet. I got the assembly apart but there is some unhardened and semi-hardened residue that needs to be removed.

Loctite references using their solvent (nitromethane) to soften it. I'll try methyl chloride and then nitromethane when our lab is open on Monday.

Fasttrack
03-02-2015, 12:54 PM
UPDATE

Well my chemistry buddies fixed my screw up. They soaked it for a couple of hours in something similar to methyl chloride (ethyl chloride, IIRC). This made some improvement but not fast enough so they soaked it in nitromethane. This and some gentle agitation seems to have dissolved it!

Willy
03-02-2015, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the update. Always nice to see when the actual results match the claim on the bottle.