X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike Burdick
    • Jan 2003

Transit of Venus

Would someone please tell me what time the transit of Venus will occur and what is a good method to observe it?

Hope I'm not too late to see this!

Thanks

• Evan
    • May 2003

Too late...
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

• J Tiers
      • Jan 2004

yep, it was this morning.

I tried the old pinhole method, but couldn't get the resolution or else the room wasn't dark enough. No time to re-set up.

Method is:
      Pinhole in shade on window....look at image of sun projected on opposite wall (white paper helps). Mirror to get sunlight pointing in right direction if required.

I have used that for sunspot observation before. Couldn't get it set up in time, only found out last night, when the sun was on the other side of the house from the proper room.

Oh well, didn't see the comets either, its monsoon season here, and has been cloudy.
      CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
      Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
      Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
      I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
      Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• Mike Burdick
        • Jan 2003

Thanks Guys!

Maybe the evening news will have a clip of it tonight.

Comment

• Jason J
          • Nov 2003

The transit of Venus was not visible from the US. Everywhere else in the world, but not here.

Comment

• John Stevenson
            • Mar 2001

According to our news in the UK it was visible from 6.30am this morming until 12 noon, give or take a few minutes.
            Apparently it was the first time this full transit had been visible here in living memory the last time being in 1200 something.

Alistair will be able to tell you, he saw the last one.

Next one will be in 2120 or something.

Whatever I'm glad it gone, it's made a right mess all across the yard, I'm still sweeping up after it, Damn planets.............

John S.

[This message has been edited by John Stevenson (edited 06-08-2004).]

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

• Evan
              • May 2003

Sure it was visble from The Eastern US all the way to the Midwest (excepting bad weather).
              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

• motorworks
                • May 2002

Have a look here:

please visit my webpage:
                http://motorworks88.webs.com/

Comment

• uncrichie
                  • Feb 2004

It sure was visible from the east coast, the Philadelphia area to be exact. We all watched it through a #12 welding glass. It was pretty neat. I thought it would have been larger than it was. Uncrichie...

Comment

Working...
                  X