PDA

View Full Version : Dial Indicator help

Carm
02-28-2015, 01:13 PM
I was given a Hamilton Watch Co. DI, Model 414-002.
Can't remember AGI #'s, but the face is about 3 & 1/2".
Graduated by .00002", .002 range either side of "0"

There are no obvious mounts, no lugs. A knurled screw at about the 2 o'clock position that has a quarter turn, maybe a damper.

The stem is 3/8" but the bezel is so close, both by length and clearance, none of my other indicator mounts will fit.

Anyone know anything?

J Tiers
02-28-2015, 01:19 PM
Picture?

probably supposed to have a lug back, or a rack adjusting back... Machinerey's handbook has the AGD info....

Carm
02-28-2015, 01:53 PM
Sorry, no picture. Luddite.com here.
The back appears original.
I found one 'net reference (PDF) but the file won't load.
Given the resolution, removed from some sort of inspection device?

JCHannum
02-28-2015, 02:06 PM
Is it possibly this one?

https://www.dorseymetrology.com/bearing-radial-play-gage

With that fine of a resolution coupled with the minimal movement it is a very specialized gauge.

Paul Alciatore
02-28-2015, 02:06 PM
You say, "The stem is 3/8" but the bezel is so close, both by length and clearance, none of my other indicator mounts will fit."

I am not sure what you are saying here. Most DI stems have some length: at least one half inch or so. Can't you make a clamp with a 3/8" hole and a screw to tighten it? Even if you only have 1/4" of available length on that stem, you should be able to grab it. A #4 or #6 screw would fit in a 1/4" wide clamp.

And what about the other end? Most DIs have a second stem on the opposite end which covers the moving rack where it exits the circular body there. Can you devise a clamp that fits on that end?

A photo would really help. It is not that difficult to do. Read the sticky at the top of the General Page.

Another thought: are there any screws that are holding the back in place. If so, perhaps you could use some longer ones to add a mounting plate there. I have seen some DIs mounted that way.

Rosco-P
02-28-2015, 02:15 PM
This one? See post 28 in this thread: http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/metrology/what-best-metrology-bang-buck-260658/index2.html

The one in the image would seem to be mounted by a clamp on the stem.

Carm
02-28-2015, 02:31 PM
Mr.Hannum, looks like a winner, has the same Model # but not the brand. However that one has a longer plunger. Thank You!

Mr. Alciatore, making some sort of mount isn't a problem; from the above I'm concluding it wasn't intended for the standard mounts, and didn't want to damage a sensitive instrument thoughtlessly. There is +/- quarter inch of stem past the bezel, with perhaps .020 between bezel and stem.

Thanks for the help!

Carm
02-28-2015, 04:35 PM
This one? See post 28 in this thread: [url]

Didn't notice your post earlier.
Yes, that's it. Seems a good endorsement.

Rosco-P
02-28-2015, 04:38 PM
Didn't notice your post earlier.
Yes, that's it. Seems a good endorsement.

No harm, no foul...