PDA

View Full Version : Not sure? Sat. Night arbtrary post? Oh yeah.. O/T.

JRouche
03-01-2015, 12:23 AM
It matters right, if I put the O/T at the front or the azz of the "Title"

What is my Saturday random post??? ?

Oh? Its a rant.. I don't like it when folks here post projects and the replies are more of what you should have or could have done. Instead of the common response which would be, great job!!!

Just saying, it gets uncomfortable for someone like myself to post stories or pics of our work for fear of being questioned.

Its a Home Shop place. If we ask for help we love the knowledge here. Sometimes it looks like a pissing contest.

Just learn to NOT steal the spot light from the main subject.. JR

J Tiers
03-01-2015, 12:26 AM
Are you channeling Old Hat? :D

Speaking of whom, has he been around recently?

lakeside53
03-01-2015, 12:55 AM
maybe Tiffie and Old Hat merged into one.?

tmc_31
03-01-2015, 01:05 AM
JR, I hear you! It seems rare to me on this forum that someone just rags on anothers project or methods but it does happen occasionally. There are other forums where this problem is rampant and it is uncomfortable.

On the other hand, when I post a project or ask a question I welcome the criticism. I will never know all the right answers and I have learned much when others have suggested alternatives. I appreciate a pat on the back as much as the next guy and it is good to have your methods validated but I will always pay attention to the critics.

All the best sir!

Tim

tmc_31
03-01-2015, 01:06 AM

Oh crap!

Tim

JRouche
03-01-2015, 01:36 AM
Hahahaaaa! Im laughing in my slippers. Yup! A lil Tiff and some Old folks or Hats. Just shooting the breeze on a warm sun soaked Saturday. JR

Weston Bye
03-01-2015, 05:12 AM
Hahahaaaa! Im laughing in my slippers. Yup! A lil Tiff and some Old folks or Hats. Just shooting the breeze on a warm sun soaked Saturday. JR

You suck.

13F

Carm
03-01-2015, 06:42 AM
You suck.

13F

I hear you,7F. Rather frost my cookies than deal with mud slides and fires though.

Tony
03-01-2015, 07:01 AM
I don't like it when folks here post projects and the replies are more of what you should have or could have done. Instead of the common response which would be, great job!!! JR

I totally get what you're saying, but if I were saying it, I would've ...

see what I did there? :D

I can only speak to my own posts but I've always found very positive responses and constructive suggestions.
I'm not on here as often as others so maybe I don't know the posts/people you are referring to.

tekfab
03-01-2015, 07:19 AM
Totally agree with the opening poster.

Mike

Doozer
03-01-2015, 09:01 AM
Why do you care so much what people think?
It is just the internet. If someone has an opinion that you don't
like, ignore it and move on. You might actually learn something
from some of the comments, be they positive or negative.
All this nicey-nice, oh-you-hurt-my-feelings is just the kind of
thing that is ruining society. Grow some stones or see someone
by the hour.

-Doozer

KiddZimaHater
03-01-2015, 09:05 AM
I usually take criticism one of two ways:
A light bulb will go off, and I'll think, "Yeah, I should've tried that."
-OR-
I'll think, "Mr. Know-it-all has no idea what he's talking about." and I'll ignore him.
I take everything I read on the internet or watch on the news with a grain of salt. Everyone's an 'Expert'. :rolleyes:

J Tiers
03-01-2015, 10:26 AM
You suck.

13F

Just shoveled a bunch of that 13 deg F stuff....

Where it's warm in the NH now, just think.... they get all sorts of benefits.....

Formosan termites

tropical diseases

scorpions

fire ants

A bit of cold weather is OK in order to avoid that lot, and the rest of it that was left unmentioned.

adatesman
03-01-2015, 10:34 AM

Last activity was 2/14/15, so guessing no.

loose nut
03-01-2015, 12:54 PM
Just shoveled a bunch of that 13 deg F stuff....

Where it's warm in the NH now, just think.... they get all sorts of benefits.....

Formosan termites

tropical diseases

scorpions

fire ants

A bit of cold weather is OK in order to avoid that lot, and the rest of it that was left unmentioned.

Get a snowblower and enjoy the benefits of the cold.

Your right about the cold, it does stop a lot of bad diseases. People who live in the northern (or southern) climates tend to be healthier then those that live in the hot places, frostbite and hypothermia not withstanding.

loose nut
03-01-2015, 12:56 PM

That would be genetic engineering at its worst. Be afraid, be very afraid.:eek::eek::eek:

tyrone shewlaces
03-01-2015, 01:07 PM
I too am sitting indoors out of the cold, but there's a little evil smile on my face too knowing that the warm spell before this woke up a lot of bugs which are now being culled. Maybe have less swarms of them this spring.

Regarding the OP, personally I don't take criticisms of my work too bad because most any step of everything anybody does can be done a couple dozen different ways and by the time I say anything I've already realized fifty ways I could have done this or that just a little better or quicker. So it's like "yea, no s#!t Sherlock" and I've magically flipped the criticism right back at the criticizer, only quietly to myself.

Heck. Just typing this post I've corrected a dozen spelling errors already and left a few roughly formed thoughts uncorrected just because I'm lazy.

Rosco-P
03-01-2015, 01:23 PM

Last activity was 2/14/15, so guessing no.

He was on "double secret probation". He may come back, who can say?

ulav8r
03-01-2015, 09:52 PM
There's more than one way to critique someone's work. What is worse is when someone praises shoddy/ugly work, as is common on gun forums.

oldtiffie
03-01-2015, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by lakeside53 View Post

That would be genetic engineering at its worst. Be afraid, be very afraid.:eek::eek::eek:

Which of us is the sire and which the dam?

Is genetic engineering on the skills-list required list to be a HSM-er - or even a passable machinist?

The mind boggles when I thought about it - which I sure did - just as you'd expect.

Nice thought though - many thanks.

loose nut
03-02-2015, 09:57 AM
Tiffie, Old Hat has a sharp tongue but in a straight up match I think you could take him, then he would be your bitch.

Rosco-P
03-02-2015, 10:02 AM
Tiffie, Old Hat has a sharp tongue but in a straight up match I think you could take him, then he would be your bitch.

Not a chance in Hell, my money is on OldHat. Younger, more experienced, etc. Old brittle bones break easily, he'd snap OldTiffie like a twig.

vincemulhollon
03-02-2015, 11:34 AM
Instead of the common response which would be, great job!

1) Then it looks like AOL in the 90s or worse. Me two 111!1!!!11!1! (for a good time look up "greatest internet memes of the 90s")

2) Everyone reading (and the original poster) can learn an awful lot about what things can only be done exactly one way vs can be done 50 different ways.

So a perfectly awesome post about using a left handed crescent wrench to tighten a drawbar bolt adds value for everyone when someone (politely, I hope) replies another technique is to use a metric crescent wrench to do the same job.

Optics Curmudgeon
03-02-2015, 12:26 PM
Saturday night postings?

Oh, demon alcohol!