PDA

View Full Version : Off Topical Dr.Seuss (Cabin Fever)

Carm
03-02-2015, 04:43 PM
I do not like this snow I say
I do not like it in any way.
Not on the ground, not in the air,
not sitting in my easy chair.

I salt, I scrape, I shovel, I plow;
I want an end! I want it now!

So old man winter, tell your Ma
I'm going to move to Floor-e-dah.

dp
03-02-2015, 05:16 PM
I'm going to be MCing a kind of poet's corner event this weekend and this is exactly what I need :)

Here's one I wrote based on a classic Robert Frost poem.

Broken Down on a Snowy Winter's Eve (with apologies to Robert Frost)

Whose bike this is I think I know.
But he's is drunk and sleeping, so;
He will not see me stopping here
To siphon off some gas to go.

My shovelhead is prone, I fear
To stop without a gas pump near
So far from home out by a lake
The coldest evening of the year.

It shuts down hard and gives a shake
As if to rub in my mistake.
The only other sound's the weep
Of fluid dripping from my brake.

My pocket's empty, dark, and deep,
But I have gas enough to keep
Me rolling miles before I sleep,
So many miles before I sleep.

J Tiers
03-02-2015, 08:16 PM
I like snow..... And I'm not sorry to say so.....

When I was younger, and lived up north.... I lived to ski, basically.... Summer was that boring time between ski seasons.

Now, snow means a good reason to stay in and get something done. But I like to see it.... and I don't mind shoveling it. I might think differently about it if there were 2 metres of it, but...

justanengineer
03-02-2015, 09:34 PM
JMO but I'm not griping in the least about this winter bc contrary to the weather idiots and doomsday predictors its been another pretty typical season. Outside of the past month its been fairly mild weather with little snow and warm weather. We hit 55 once toward the end of January before it turned cold and had quite a few weeks previous in the upper 30s-mid 40s. Yesterday we were surprised with a foot of snow but its supposed to be in the upper 40s by week's end so the snow's likely gonna disappear pretty quick. Previously we had only an inch or so at a time with a melt in between. Other than the past month Ive been walking to work and back, today it was 30F on the way home but the sun was beating down hard so I was sweating with only a jacket over my dress shirt, jeans and poo-kickers.

Gotta love the midwest for the weather if nothing else....

J Tiers
03-02-2015, 11:42 PM
I suppose it's worth mentioning the insulating value of snow.....

I'd rather see a cold winter WITH snow than without.... Snow cover, besides being the finest way of delivering water to the soil, also insulates it, leading to fewer breakages of water mains (other than under plowed streets), less frost heaving, etc.

Carm
03-03-2015, 07:31 AM
Been cold w/snow since mid-November, usually when I get around to planting garlic, i.e. getting a shovel in the ground.
Not just snow either, layers of ice and snow.
Lots of broken records, here. January/February most days below freezing and too many below 0.

Yeah, the snow cover insulates, keeping some of the critters alive that will be back to pester in greater numbers come spring, if it gets here. More snow then ice, today.

DP, Bikes don't use much gas, but they gotta have some! DAMHIKT

krutch
03-03-2015, 04:54 PM
I read somewhere that an unpublished manuscript by the great Seuss has been found. And it includes some number of naked sisters in the story. Wonder if that was for the kiddies?

brian Rupnow
03-03-2015, 05:10 PM
Krutch--I like that!! Let's see now, what rhymes with sisters---Blisters, misters, resistors, thermisters,

Paul Alciatore
03-04-2015, 12:52 AM
Snow? Been there! Done that! Have pictures!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v55/EPAIII/Web%20Post%20Photos/P1010004_zpsvrlpdzlm.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/EPAIII/media/Web%20Post%20Photos/P1010004_zpsvrlpdzlm.jpg.html)

NOW I have two words for you,

SOUTH TEXAS!

I have needed my heavy jacket about three days so far this winter. Today was shirt sleeves. I left my snow shovel in Iowa.

dp
03-04-2015, 01:29 AM
DP, Bikes don't use much gas, but they gotta have some! DAMHIKT

Two Harleys, both with rider and passenger, don't get near the passenger miles as a truck with 4 people hauling two Harleys. But - most Harley riders will spend more money per mile on tires and oil changes than gasoline. NALOPKT :)

Carm
03-04-2015, 08:17 AM
I sure didn't. But I never owned a H-D.
Supposed to get snow then ice last night. No snow, just ice. Snow tonight.
Yippee

dp
03-04-2015, 12:02 PM
My personal weather station showed we got down into the low-20's overnight (again). We actually got into the 50's several days ago and I thought briefly about getting my bike out of the garage, but the jet stream hauled in another load of arctic air.

http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KWAOROVI4

It's pretty obvious from the graphs when the sun came out. It's a nice clear and bright morning.

We used to call it the jet stream but I guess polar vortex is the (wrong) term of the day. Sounds more scary. It's also called an atmospheric river (wrongly). This is what it looks like.

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/10hPa/overlay=temp/orthographic=-107.04,31.30,482

Atmospheric rivers exist but they're not the jet stream - they're streamers that peal away from the jet stream and do contain a huge amount of water. They're an important part of how the weather moves tropical energy to the poles.

Paul Alciatore
03-04-2015, 04:03 PM
Had to turn the air conditioners on this morning.

Carm
03-04-2015, 04:27 PM
Had to turn the air conditioners on this morning.

I'll quit bitchin'. I was offshore Mustang Island in the '78 heatwave, the radio kept reporting people dying in Brownsville.

Duffy
03-04-2015, 05:34 PM
Today was the first day above freezing since the 24th of January. This February has been the coldest in 117 years. Lots of frozen pipes.

Ries
03-04-2015, 06:51 PM
Warmest February here EVER. At least, as long as they have been keeping records. Daffodils are blooming, 2 of my fruit trees are already in full flower, and the wife already made me start mowing the lawn.
Weather is a funny thing, and it sure isnt the same everywhere.

I was in Argentina in January, warmest January ever there, as well, highest electricity consumption for one month in the history of the country- everyone running their AC at once.

outlawspeeder
03-04-2015, 10:31 PM
Tire every 10,000 at 120 a tire fro the bike. My truck every 50.000 at 400 a tire. The bike doesn't get an alignment. Just saying.

PixMan
03-04-2015, 11:37 PM
I'm absolutely torn.

We have had (in my area) the snowiest winter in recorded modern history, with over 115 inches of it....so far.

The snowblower at my mom's house which my dad had bought at least 15 years ago had failed. My son was using it and caught a stone or something. The welds holding the right half of the auger broke, and it blew apart the auger housing. The 25 cent shear bolts are, however, fully intact. I had to junk it and bought a new Ariens Deluxe 28+ with (rare) 414cc motor.

At home, my 2005 Husqvarna SBE10530 that I had bought used in summer of 2011 for $500 started giving me fits. For every hour I used it, there was at least an hour of repairs. Everything from chewing through belts to sticky clutches and (mostly) parts falling off left and right. The new Ariens I had just bought was the second to last that dealer had in stock. A week later, all dealers within a 50 mile radius of me were sold out. I found an absolutely MINT condition 2013 Ariens Platinum 30 on the local Craigslist and snatched it up for only $100 less than what the original owner had paid just 14 months prior. Supply and demand rules. It's got the same LCT (Liquid Combustion Technologies, who bought the remnants of the defunct Tecomseh) 414cc 20 ft/lb (about 12.2HP) motor as the new one I'd bought.

These machines kick butt on snow!

Trouble is, I'd rather be out on my motorcycle!

macona
03-05-2015, 01:38 AM
My personal weather station showed we got down into the low-20's overnight (again). We actually got into the 50's several days ago and I thought briefly about getting my bike out of the garage, but the jet stream hauled in another load of arctic air.

http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KWAOROVI4

It's pretty obvious from the graphs when the sun came out. It's a nice clear and bright morning.

We used to call it the jet stream but I guess polar vortex is the (wrong) term of the day. Sounds more scary. It's also called an atmospheric river (wrongly). This is what it looks like.

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/10hPa/overlay=temp/orthographic=-107.04,31.30,482

Atmospheric rivers exist but they're not the jet stream - they're streamers that peal away from the jet stream and do contain a huge amount of water. They're an important part of how the weather moves tropical energy to the poles.

Going to be 68 this weekend here. Yay.

The company I worked for moved into an office in downtown Portland about two weeks ago. So it is either pay $200 a month for car parking or $60 for my bike. Guess which I choose.

I had to ride up to vancouver this morning to drop off some stuff at our contract manufacturer and nearly froze on the way in...

loose nut
03-05-2015, 09:57 AM
Going to be -11C this weekend here. Yah.

Well it isn't going to be -20C so yah.

dp
03-05-2015, 10:38 AM
Our temperature bottomed out about 90 minutes ago at 23F. The sun came over the eastern pluton about 20 minutes ago and despite some mid-altitude haze it is warming quickly.

http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KWAOROVI4#history/s20150226/e20150305/mweek

This is our eastern pluton - about 2.5 miles from here. The sun this morning is just rising over the left-most hump. In a few more weeks the sun will have moved so far north at sunrise that it won't be blocked by our lump. This photo was taken last October at noontime.

http://www.wunderground.com/data/wximagenew/k/Kahakaloa/1.jpg

Carm
03-05-2015, 11:07 AM
Here's a pic out the window, will be this way another six hours:

Lovely

dp
03-05-2015, 11:19 AM
Here's a pic out the window, will be this way another six hours:

Lovely

I take it your location is near the Amundsen–Scott South Pole Station, and that is your white cat peeking in the window?

brian Rupnow
03-05-2015, 11:47 AM
I thought a Pluton was somebody who came from Pluto---

dp
03-05-2015, 11:51 AM
I thought a Pluton was somebody who came from Pluto---

And they live in plutoniums.

Carm
03-05-2015, 12:06 PM
And speak in Plutitudes.