PDA

View Full Version : What's the purpose of this level?

Pinresto
03-04-2015, 09:56 AM
This is the only pic I could find of this type of level. Probably because I don't know exactly what it's called or what it's for. A friend has one for sale but he knows nothing about it either. Can someone tell me what it's call and used for? I can't post pics for some reason so here's a link to an eBay auction. This is a different brand than what I'm looking at but it's the same thing.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=271791007337&alt=web

loose nut
03-04-2015, 10:01 AM
It comes with a convenient handle???

hsm'er
03-04-2015, 10:13 AM
For checking horizontal and vertical surfaces.

J Harp
03-04-2015, 10:29 AM
I can only guess that the cylindrical part is for holding in a chuck, to check the vertical alignment of a spindle.

Euph0ny
03-04-2015, 10:38 AM
It looks to me like a cylindrical square (or maybe part of a comparator square stand?) with a level attached, such that when the instrument is set horizontal (reading the bubble), anything parallel to the cylindrical square part will not only be at right angles to the surface on which the instrument is sitting, but will also be plumb... It's probably indispensible for setting up some particular machine or operation.

A.K. Boomer
03-04-2015, 12:07 PM
I can only guess that the cylindrical part is for holding in a chuck, to check the vertical alignment of a spindle.

For as much as I know about machinist levels I would have to second that...

JCHannum
03-04-2015, 12:08 PM
There is a level bubble in both the flat and round parts. The round is not to be chucked. I don't see any practical use for it that would make it worth more than $100.00. The eBayer has no better idea either, but it comes in a nice box.

Rosco-P
03-04-2015, 12:20 PM
From this company: http://www.emersonapparatus.com/index.html
Nothing on the website that looks like a model 1414.
Specialized version of a cross test level?

Did the OP want a precision level to take the twist out of his lathe bed?

dp
03-04-2015, 12:57 PM
Without any sensitivity info it probably is a paper weight. With sensitivity info it is an awkward shaped level.

A.K. Boomer
03-04-2015, 01:30 PM
There is a level bubble in both the flat and round parts. The round is not to be chucked. I don't see any practical use for it that would make it worth more than $100.00. The eBayer has no better idea either, but it comes in a nice box.

the level in the round part is much lower and could still be chucked at the first top half...

Pinresto
03-04-2015, 01:49 PM
My guess was also that its meant to be chucked. I have no use for it if its of no use to a new hobby machinist. I told a friend I was buying machinist tools and learning as a hobby. He said he had a machinist level he would sell me for $40. Looks like the one in the link. Has a nice little box and everything. I was hoping one of you would say "oh, that's a so and so level. Got to have one of those. Its great for......". Apparently that's not the case. Thanks for the input. I'll offer him $20. Might look nice cleaned up sitting on a desk or shelf.

Pinresto
03-04-2015, 01:50 PM

I noticed that too. Based on the info in the ad (none) the seller has no idea what it is.

John Garner
03-04-2015, 03:17 PM
Pinresto --

My WAG (Wild Guess) is that the vial is the cylindrical handle is a "plumb vial" to show when the base reference surface is vertical.

John

Rustybolt
03-04-2015, 04:04 PM
Since Emerson Apparatus Company sells scientific, uh, apparatuses, It must be for leveling something scientific......ish.

My first thought it would be used to set up some kind of precision optical..................apparatus thingy, thing.

winchman
03-04-2015, 11:00 PM
It looks like the base might fit in the slots on a rotary table or lathe chuck. Would that do anything useful?

J Tiers
03-04-2015, 11:16 PM
Without any sensitivity info it probably is a paper weight. ...

But with a pack of shims, and a longish bar of rectangular steel, you can develop your own sensitivity specs on the level, or check the bullcrap on the chinese (or russian) test sheet you got with your other level (if you have one).

darryl
03-04-2015, 11:27 PM
The round part is likely to have been turned and faced in one operation on the lathe. In that regard it could be attached to the base and it would be known to be at right angles to it. Seems a pretty good way to assure that you have an accurate square. At the same time you would have to be using the base in contact with a relatively flat surface to ensure that the upright part is vertical in both planes- otherwise it could give an erroneous reading if you're checking for verticality in a spindle or whatever.

In the turning of that round part it would have to be known that the lathe isn't turning a taper- and that it isn't turning a barrel shape or hourglass shape.

QSIMDO
03-04-2015, 11:30 PM
I think you have to look outside of machining.
This looks close;
http://www.wylerag.com/en/products/precision-spirit-levels/universal-angle-spirit-level-64/

Though doesn't seem anyway possible to use both vials at the same time.

JoeLee
03-05-2015, 08:50 AM
There is a level bubble in both the flat and round parts. The round is not to be chucked. I don't see any practical use for it that would make it worth more than $100.00. The eBayer has no better idea either, but it comes in a nice box. Most sellers on ebay have no clue as to what the purpose of the items they are selling are. I often wonder how they arrive at such a starting price with out any knowledge of what they have.

JL.............

kbertoson
03-05-2015, 11:22 AM
I agree most sellers have no idea what an item is. What little I do look at Ebay it appears that "vintage" or "antique" helps to increase the price of many items well above what a resonable buyer would pay.

Alistair Hosie
03-05-2015, 04:13 PM
I am tempted to honour your request and simply state that this is definitely a SO and SO model.
Happy now?
Seriously though ,all I can ad is it does not look to be terribly sophisticated, unless I am missing something obvious to the rest of you.But I would think a lot of people here would rather make one than pay $99.00 for an expensive coat hanger. Alistair PS I hope you get to the bottom of it sometime soon.