PDA

View Full Version : OT: Ads On This BB

Paul Alciatore
03-06-2015, 06:23 PM
George,

I had to perform a reset of my browser and it turned the ads that accompany this BB back on. Now, I am not complaining and, in fact, I have often been tempted to turn them back on because I actually wanted to see some of them. Apparently the opening page does show them for a time before they disappear. I have seen some that I really wanted to read. BUT now, I am immediately reminded of why I turned them off in the first place. They are way too distracting. They constantly change. They change so often that it is IMPOSSIBLE to actually read them. Examining them is totally out of the question.

I submit to you and your advertising manager that the audience here is one that is interested in reading the ads. One of the thing that I do when I get copies of your magazines (I subscribe to three of them) is to actually make at least one pass through them just to read the ads. But here, on the web site, that is not possible. They flash on then flash off before they can be read.

I will probably find the setting in the web browser that turns them off and activate it.

If you want the ads to be effective I would make two suggestions. First, keep them on the screen for a longer time. I would recommend at least 30 seconds each. That way, they can be read and perhaps re-read. The pictures can be examined. The point of the ad can be found. Second, I would recommend that a new method of changing from one to the next be employed. One that is not as distracting as an instantaneous change. I would recommend what is called a cross fade. Perhaps with a duration that is several seconds long. Don't use the transition as a way to call attention to the ads. That only encourages us to turn them off.

I think these two suggestions would make your ads more effective and your advertisers more satisfied with the results.

And YES, I have worked in the advertising industry.

dp
03-06-2015, 07:01 PM
There's probably little chance of changing it to a fade for a couple reasons. It is a complete recoding job to change how the ads are presented, and the adverts are in varying sized iframes. Not so bad for changing just this BBS but that code is likely common to other sites hosted by Village Press. Their ad server is what dishes up the BBS adverts. Here's a couple examples.

document.write("<iframe src=\"http://ads.villagepress.com/ad/index/route?pi=11&ai=161&mi=2864\"
height=\"610\" width=\"122\" scrolling=\"no\" frameborder=\"0\" style=\"padding: 0px;
margin: 0px; border: none;\" class=\"ad\"></iframe>");

document.write("<iframe src=\"http://ads.villagepress.com/ad/index/route?pi=11&ai=113&mi=2223\"
height=\"600\" width=\"120\" scrolling=\"no\" frameborder=\"0\" style=\"padding: 0px;
margin: 0px; border: none;\" class=\"ad\"></iframe>");

And that's just the side bar.

And look at the DOCTYPE tag:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

Not HTML5.

Just noticed too at least some of the images are animated GIF images so the timing is internal.

MrFluffy
03-06-2015, 07:39 PM
Animated gifs do not run at a consistant speed for all either.
See :-
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals/archive/2010/06/08/animated-gifs-slow-down-to-under-20-frames-per-second.aspx

There is plenty of discussion about the net of people seeing the same image run twice speed in firefox as internet explorer on the same machine due to timing differences. Its possible the ads look ok to whoever tests them after upload!

dp
03-06-2015, 08:22 PM
Sure - they were around when the hottest systems were IBM 286 AT computers running DOS 2.1 at 4 mHz with the newest Hercules VGA video cards and 5 MB RLL hard drives if they had any hard drive at all. Some standards deserve to die. In fact some vendors won't pay the fees to license the code so GIF is definitely in the process of a long goodbye.

PStechPaul
03-06-2015, 08:30 PM
It might be possible to have the ad "freeze" when you hover the mouse cursor over it. And then you can click on the ad to get full information. I don't find the ads excessively distracting, but I don't think any of them have compelled me to buy any of the products being promoted. Perhaps a sidebar could be made such that it opens wider to display the ads when you hover the mouse cursor over it.

lakeside53
03-06-2015, 08:58 PM
what ads? :)

oldtiffie
03-06-2015, 09:43 PM
I don't have a problem there either - I just ignore them.

But I recall George B saying that the revenues for/from the ads in large part pays for us having free use of the HSM BBS.

The alternative/other option is to pay a fee for use or membership.

And what about the ads in the top bar?

Paul Alciatore
03-07-2015, 03:58 AM
They can be turned off. Obviously they have been on your browser.

what ads? :)

R.Bolte.Jr
03-07-2015, 10:57 AM
Ads in general might be seen as evil, but they do keep the site here free.
Maybe I'm a young hippie type, but if you are getting a free service here, its your responsibility to the community to support it.
If your next stop on the web is "shars" or another of the advertisers, the site here gets credit if you click on the ad instead of the a bookmark to get there. More "click throughs" = more revenue to support the site. More revenue to the site = more incentive for the operator to improve/expand here. And it doesn't cost you anything to do it.

But then, Im the type that considers where to buy big ticket items like appliances based on where my sales tax money goes.

-Ron

Rosco-P
03-07-2015, 11:24 AM
If your next stop on the web is "shars" or another of the advertisers, the site here gets credit if you click on the ad instead of the a bookmark to get there. More "click throughs" = more revenue to support the site. More revenue to the site = more incentive for the operator to improve/expand here. And it doesn't cost you anything to do it.-Ron

Would you have us declare one day a month as "click through day"?

Paul Alciatore
03-07-2015, 12:41 PM
My point wasn't to eliminate the ads. As I said, sometimes I WANT to see them. To actually read them, IN DETAIL. I know they pay for the board and I appreciate that. I wanted to make them less offensive and MORE readable.

And I know I am up against city hall.