PDA

View Full Version : Criterion Boring Head

dalee100
03-06-2015, 06:36 PM
Hi,

Does anybody know how much travel a model 1 boring head has? Or to put it another way, how big a hole will it bore?

Thanks!
Dalee

TGTool
03-06-2015, 06:52 PM
Hi,

Does anybody know how much travel a model 1 boring head has? Or to put it another way, how big a hole will it bore?

Thanks!
Dalee

Bore size is not limited by boring head travel. You can provide a tool with an offset to reach a larger diameter. The limits then become rigidity of the whole setup and whether you can set rpm low enough for a reasonable surface speed at that diameter. Imagine, for instance, that instead of a straight boring tool you put a fly cutter in the mounting hole and had the HSS tool sticking out the side.

JCHannum
03-06-2015, 07:30 PM
The Criterion boring heads and their clones also have a cross hole which allows use of a boring bar in that position adding even more capacity.

dalee100
03-06-2015, 08:28 PM
Hi,

Not all Criterion Model 1 heads have a cross hole. The ones I seem to find don't anyway. And as far as I can tell, the cross travel can vary from 1/2" to 3/4". But I can't seem to find a concrete answer in my searches.

Dalee

oldtiffie
03-06-2015, 08:47 PM
Hi,

Thanks!
Dalee

I think that this boring head is a clone of the Criteria boring head.

At least it will give you some albeit scarce/sparse information.

http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/M185

JCHannum
03-07-2015, 08:21 AM
I dug out a Criterion catalog and the only head I find with a number 1 in the nomenclature is the TMT-1, which is the square bodied Tinymite boring head. They give 0.050" and 1.10" min and max; and 0.670" and 1.730" min and max for center and outboard holes respectively.

These sizes can be increased by using an offset boring bar, but these probably should be considered light duty boring bars due to their small size.

dalee100
03-07-2015, 10:15 AM
Hi,

I think the Model 1 is an older version, at least the ones I see show a lot more use. I think the TMT-1 seems to be a current version. But the ones I'm looking at are the square bodies.

I am looking for a small head, so the size seems right. But I often wish to bore stepped holes. And I would like to get enough cross travel to not always need to swap tooling to do so.

Dalee