PDA

View Full Version : Stall mats

astroracer
03-08-2015, 03:34 PM
Just picked up a couple of stall mats at Family Farm & Home. 3' x 4' x 1/2" thick, 15 bucks apiece.
Put one in front of the mill.
http://images52.fotki.com/v728/photos/5/904975/13534136/MVC107F-vi.jpg
And the other in front of the lathe.
http://images60.fotki.com/v662/photos/5/904975/13534136/MVC108F-vi.jpg
These are pretty easy on the feet compared to the cold concrete. And a lot easier to clean up.
Mark

boslab
03-08-2015, 04:18 PM
Bloody heavy aren't they!, I couldn't lift two off the floor, but mine are 6' x 3'

Mark

astroracer
03-08-2015, 04:48 PM
Yes, they are heavy... These weren't too bad to carry if you grabbed them in the middle and let them fold over on themselves. I tested the one in front of the mill today. Makes a big difference on my back. I had an anti-fatigue mat down, the brown rubber kind with the honeycomb pattern, and this was a definite improvement over that...

Carm
03-08-2015, 05:12 PM
It can get even better... cut a piece of 1"rigid foam ( Dow blueboard ) the size of your mat and tack a wood border around to keep chips from embedding. Put your mat on top.
Also aids the vertically challenged.

boslab
03-08-2015, 05:13 PM
Watch the circlips and screws bounce!, the dimples send them In random orbits?
Mark

DATo
03-08-2015, 05:57 PM
It's not nearly as durable or as attractive but old pieces of carpeting work just as well.

Puckdropper
03-09-2015, 03:47 AM
Watch the circlips and screws bounce!, the dimples send them In random orbits?
Mark

Nope... They do that all by themselves. If you didn't see it hit the floor, there's no telling where it went.

astroracer
03-09-2015, 07:00 AM
It's not nearly as durable or as attractive but old pieces of carpeting work just as well.
Have to disagree with carpet... Carpet collects chips and swarf like you wouldn't believe and it doesn't sweep out...

John Stevenson
03-09-2015, 09:30 AM
Also a fire hazard

sawlog
03-09-2015, 09:38 AM
I never did the carpet, but I did get some used dust mats like business use from a rental company. They was part rubber so the fire hazard wasn't as great, but the chips was a mess. I have thought about the stall mats because they are solid rubber even though the chips will bury up in them you can sweep them off.

browne92
03-09-2015, 10:12 AM
I use treadmill walking belts as non-skid mats in front of the lathe and bench. Not any padding to speak of, but then I don't have the back troubles. At least not yet. :rolleyes:

Nope... They do that all by themselves. If you didn't see it hit the floor, there's no telling where it went.

At a previous job, a coworker came into the room to find me crawling around on the floor looking for a screw that I dropped. "What happened?" "I dropped a screw and it went 'kadink kadink kadink'." "Oh hell, after the second 'kadink', it could be half way to the next county" (Story edited so it would make sense outside of Louisiana.)

lakeside53
03-09-2015, 01:12 PM
I hate walking on chips. My mats are thick rubber have a matrix of holes in them - they work great as the chips go into holes and you just life up the mats (one end at a time)now and then to sweep beneath (or just vac the holes).

rottdogsparky
03-09-2015, 06:35 PM
Those stall mats are awesome have used them in garage for years then in the back of truck

John Stevenson
03-09-2015, 07:27 PM
Bought some earlier this year to trial. My old 3mm [ 1/8" ] thick rubber floor matting was starting to stretch , split and bubble and I could see an accident waiting to happen.

Was a bit wary with these though as round the lathe get loads of chips and a lot are really, really hot and concerned about then burning in, plus the surface is friable and also worried about small chip clean up.

Had them down now for a couple of months and they are working out great, no burn in and even small brass chips sweep and hoover up OK.

Only got one down at the moment but it's a 10' x 4' bought some more but can't fit them until a move round as I need to cut these to fit and at the moment they would be wasted.

ironmonger
03-09-2015, 07:34 PM
Instead of buying a bunch of mats, why not buy one and share it with your friends and glue pieces to the bottom of your shoes. Would have the same cushioning effect, and you would never have to move the mat.

Just a thought :p

paul

Rosco-P
03-09-2015, 08:01 PM
Instead of buying a bunch of mats, why not buy one and share it with your friends and glue pieces to the bottom of your shoes. Would have the same cushioning effect, and you would never have to move the mat.

Just a thought :p

paul

If you want to be thrifty and skip the mats, buy (or make) these: http://qmi.be/catalog/product/gallery/id/1849/image/2798/

Cover tops of feet with tinfoil to avoid burns from red hot swarf.

Lu47Dan
03-09-2015, 09:18 PM
I have two of those mats, in my shop plus two pieces of conveyor belting. I like the mats better than the belting to stand on, but the belting moves easier than the mats do.
Dan.

Paul Alciatore
03-10-2015, 06:26 PM
I use a stool in the shop. How does that work out with these mats?