PDA

View Full Version : OT - 15 Year Old Girl Playing Guitar

LHC
03-09-2015, 01:25 PM
I came across a news article about this earlier, and had to go on youtube take a look.
I also made sure to show it to my buddy who is 56 and struggling to learn to play guitar :)

There is a particularly jaw dropping part at 4:00 -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpASSx0ecTU

Here she is a year ago when she was 14, slaying an epic Van Halen solo. This one is a bit amusing - she actually looks bored as she's cranking out what some regard as the holy grail of guitar solos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV6SmY04WdE

A.K. Boomer
03-09-2015, 01:58 PM
Iv heard about this but did not remember to check it out till now - it's unreal - she's simply amazing...

I don't think my feed speed could keep up with her hand movements or something cuz half the time her hands were just a strobe like blur...

Geeze to top it all off she did look bored --- no shortage of extremely high paying work for her - ever...

IdahoJim
03-09-2015, 02:02 PM
Haven't seen anybody, that age, play like that since Journey's Neil Schon. He was playing with Santana when he was 16.
Jim

Paul Alciatore
03-09-2015, 02:34 PM
Bored? I think she is just concentrating. I mean, she would have to be.

And I think I see a bit of a smile break through at the end.

Great performance.

boslab
03-09-2015, 03:29 PM
I recognise the aspergic stare, seen it before, not a lot of facial expression, my guess
Mark

LHC
03-09-2015, 03:34 PM
She seems to be feeling it more in this one :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e9AyDXx19Q

Amazing talent at her age.

dp
03-09-2015, 03:43 PM
She's nailing those double stops in the first vid in a way I never could, never will, even on the mandolin. My kids used to rag me when I played saying "Dad's in the zone again!". I don't mind the stare, aspergic or not cuz when I play the blues I prefer to be alone :)

loose nut
03-09-2015, 03:46 PM
Tongue on floor.

boslab
03-09-2015, 05:25 PM
I don't mean to sound critical of the stare, I have 2 kids with the condition, so I see it a lot, I'm used to it, you should see my daughters drawing, amazing detail with a 0.2 rotring, she seems tranced out when concentrating too.
Mark

coolidge
03-09-2015, 06:27 PM
I guess she's okay...wait that video wasn't playing at 3x speed? :eek: Here's a guy who has chops, skip ahead to 1:00 past his warm up. Green Onions...the three step bend at 2:32 nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rANyZSHsLI

MrSleepy
03-09-2015, 08:09 PM
I think I prefer Jess Lewis ... she does a great version of Guthrie Govans "wondeful slippery thing"
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA8fzsE7tWU)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu1wazW17qA

And Jess's videos don't look like a staged advert for her guitar supplier.

PixMan
03-09-2015, 08:18 PM
I'll be the party pooper. Great talent for playing, but there is NO emotion, no soul in the MUSIC.

The biggest difference between that girl playing skillfully at warp speed and guys like Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton and dozens more, is the emotion they put into the performance, the essence of themselves shining through.

She's very talented in skill, but miles away from being able to capture and involve her audience.

J Harp
03-09-2015, 09:28 PM
Cahro gets my vote for guitar playing.

J Tiers
03-09-2015, 10:16 PM
I know people kinda like that.... there were lots at the old work, but of course we made guitar amps, bass amps, etc.

People who when they were kids got home from school, headed for room or basement to play, had to be rousted out for dinner, and went right back afterwards.... Amazing what talent plus 6 hours of practice a day when you are 10, 11, or 12, y/o will do. By the time you are her age, you are very good (if you have the talent).

Feeling in the music? You get time for that when you are good enough with the mechanics. If you have it. Some don't.

Willy
03-09-2015, 10:47 PM
I'll be the party pooper. Great talent for playing, but there is NO emotion, no soul in the MUSIC.

The biggest difference between that girl playing skillfully at warp speed and guys like Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton and dozens more, is the emotion they put into the performance, the essence of themselves shining through.

She's very talented in skill, but miles away from being able to capture and involve her audience.

These were exactly my thoughts as well when I watched her play. Technically she's very gifted, but she's playing without her heart. As she matures and gets some life experiences her mood and intensity will reflect this, and at that point she will shine brightly,... if she stays with it.

Not very many 10-15 year olds can play the blues for example with feeling and insightful expression, after all they're only kids. They haven't experienced success or failure, addiction, death, etc.

Hopefully she'll keep on doing what she's good at, the rest just takes a little longer to fine tune. It's called personality, some folks never do get it right.;)

Forrest Addy
03-10-2015, 01:55 AM
Obviously a prodigy. She plays raucous works with sensitivity and nuance. I hope she diversifes into material having actual musical content. Much of traditional rock consists of a few dozen lick, riffs and ornamentaions assembled like tinkertoys to form a unit of music strictly defined by a marketable segment of time. It takes a genius like Jimmy Hendricks and a few others to extract form and embue content from mere parts.

10,000 screaming fans drowning out a four piece rock band amplified to 135 decibles is not art. It's a mere performance, a zoo feeding in which tangible musical art has left the building except for a few pale glimmers here and there. Senses are stupified, virginities lost, drugs consumed, assaults committed but, alas, very few are trasported, exhaulted, shown glory.

I don't know what this young lady's exposure to music has been but if her chosen instrument is guitar, she has a wide world open to her. I think she needs to pursue it in all forms from oud to samisen, to dobro, to lute, to banjo. Somewhere she will find her destiny. Without exposure she will stupify heeding only the sycophants that aphid-like sap her energy, wilt her ambition, and and exsanguinate her substance.

I really do wish her well and that she learn her craft thoroughly avoiding needless distractions and destructive temptations.

Before the rock fans tar and feather me, my remarks alliuding to the fading of art from music extends to jazz, opera, country, you name it. Where ever major money has penetraed, art has fled leaving behind manufactured hysteria: a spectator sport whose fans are oblivious of the echo of what could be. I recount ony one example: a small town dance band that played in a fire station dance in the boondocks of Arizona one night in my great long ago. Great music. People dancing, having fun, kids running around, couples pairing with caution, a slice of Americana united by a very fine home grown band.

malbenbut
03-10-2015, 11:24 AM
I would like to see your some of your daughters drawings boslab, there is some amazing talent that passes through this group.

MBB

Black Forest
03-10-2015, 12:21 PM

It would be interesting for someone to listen to the video without looking at screen and see if they feel there is no emotion in the piece.

Willy
03-10-2015, 12:33 PM
It would be interesting for someone to listen to the video without looking at screen and see if they feel there is no emotion in the piece.

I agree the emotion can be heard, but that emotion comes from the writer of the music, not the musician. There is no doubt, technIically she is very good as she can convey the feeling that was written into the music, it just looks like she is not at one with it.
Much like a cnc programmer may not show the involvement with a piece from the spindle as from one who turned the same piece manually. The involvement is not always there.
Don't get me wrong she is a very gifted artist but she needs to mature into the music.

dp
03-10-2015, 12:57 PM
It looks like she's spent the first 15 of her years filming machine shop vids. No emotion, no excitement...

For a girl who's got no world experience except 2 million hits on Youtube I think she's doing pretty well.

becksmachine
03-10-2015, 01:25 PM
This thread is a very interesting to me, mainly because of the variety of reactions expressed by the members here.

I can't play a guitar, or any other instrument for that matter, and have never really aspired to play one, so I may not know the intricacies of easy or difficult playing, but music has always a major effect on my life. Not all music, but there are songs in nearly all genres that I enjoy and that effect me emotionally.

I am sure that some folks think me somewhat "out in left field" when I remember and quote some lyric that I think describes a particular situation that I happen to find myself in. And having the radio on in the shop while working and almost subliminally recognizing a word(s) in a song that I had heard at various times for the past 30 or 40 or 50 years. I guess it is all about making a connection with another human being. For me, this can also happen when working on a mechanical contrivance and having a flash of insight as to why it happens to be made in a particular fashion as the engineer had to invent something to get out of a particular box that he/she had designed themselves into.

My initial reaction to the video was like this. I felt that I made a connection with this youthful performer and liked the style of music. I did desperately want to run it through the stereo and crank it up but couldn't as it was in the wee hours and would wake up the whole house. I believe that volume and decibels can be as valid in artistic expression as any other characteristic. It may be an overused crutch to compensate for lack of skill or talent, but that does not diminish it when used in the proper setting. And it certainly is not a result of the invention of the loudspeaker, vacuum tube or the transistor, Johann Sebastian applied it quite effectively in some of his creations back when electricity was still used exclusively for thunderbolts.

I have been accused :) in the past, of being autistic or having aspergers syndrome, and the comments about this young girl having the "aspergic stare" were illuminating to me. I don't know if I agree or disagree, but I would ask those who think that this girl lacked "emotion", "soul" and "insight", are you certain that this performance is lacking in these qualities, or is it a lack of perception on your part?

This wasn't meant to be a rant, just my reaction to what I heard and read, and for some reason wanted to put my thoughts in print.

Dave

Willy
03-10-2015, 01:56 PM
All we can do is speculate on what we see, and speculation is the key word here. I'm sure that she is very technically involved with what she is playing, it just does not appear that she is emotionally involved. Again I don't profess to be a trained behavior analyst, just an observer.
I realize she is extremely talented, no question there!
I'm not trying to take anything away from her performance in the least. But as gifted as she is, one has to realize that she is also a child, one that has probably not matured into all that she will be...in the future.
Nothing wrong with that, it's called growing up.

LHC
03-10-2015, 02:07 PM
All we can do is speculate on what we see, and speculation is the key word here. I'm sure that she is very technically involved with what she is playing, it just does not appear that she is emotionally involved. Again I don't profess to be a trained behavior analyst, just an observer.
I realize she is extremely talented, no question there!
I'm not trying to take anything away from her performance in the least. But as gifted as she is, one has to realize that she is also a child, one that has probably not matured into all that she will be...in the future.
Nothing wrong with that, it's called growing up.

I'm glad my girlfriend could not play a guitar like that when I was 15.
I would have been exhausted with beating the other fellows away with a stick on a daily basis....

Willy
03-10-2015, 02:53 PM
I'm sure most guys her age would have feelings of inadequacy with her playing a guitar the way she does. I know that after taking guitar lessons for three years from when I was 10-13 I would.
Kind of like having a girlfriend that's a better mechanic than you.:o

bikerchico
03-10-2015, 03:01 PM
Jimmy Jr

PStechPaul
03-10-2015, 05:42 PM
Here is a compilation of her 8 year career (so far). Even my best guitar playing (since 1972) does not match hers when she was maybe six years old:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXotdh-nwAU

I agree that Tina S. does not show much emotion as she plays, but there is also the factor of, "To play the blues, you gotta pay your dues", and at 15 very few young people have lived and experienced enough to reflect it in their music and body language.

Thanks for posting this. It's inspiring as well as intimidating to someone like me who has been "sort of" playing guitar for over 40 years, yet I still struggle with even mediocrity.

J Tiers
03-10-2015, 09:56 PM
Just about anyone who is playing music at that level is probably concentrating, is definitely in another zone, and will not appear to be paying attention anywhere else, because they aren't. Some people have a vacant stare, some people grimace, etc. It just isn't a visual thing, its a sound thing, and you likely just aren't looking at anything much when playing.

I recognise the aspergic stare, seen it before,

Dang, I think I'm gonna have to call that "hate speech".

If you want to get right down to it, this thing that folks now "label and classify"..... that is the subject of the "hate speech" quoted above.....

How much of what has been done in the world since pre-history has been done by the smiling but insincere "people persons" in sales and related activities, and how much by folks who probably would be classified, labeled, and "helped" these days?

Think about THAT for a while...........

JRouche
03-11-2015, 12:21 AM
LOL!! This Lady Owns her stick!! She has it down and I love to watch her rail on it. Ummm? Haters will hate, too late for them. So sad, too bad :(

Not sure if she has played a 12 string but if so I'd love to hear and watch. To command an instrument like she does, no matter the age is impressive..

Thanks for the links to all the vids folks.. Great entertainment. JR

jhe.1973
03-11-2015, 02:16 AM
............. there is some amazing talent that passes through this group.

MBB

I couldn't agree more. I have found that many truly talented practitioners of ANY craft often don't realize how amazing their skill is to others.

I have always said I enjoy watching anyone who is good at her/his craft. Doesn't matter if it is ditch digging to the most tedious watchmaking. If someone is doing their best, it gives me pleasure and I feel it is an honor to observe.

dp
03-11-2015, 02:47 AM
Forrest - Music is being killed from the inside. You've probably bumped into things like this in your stage play work.

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/permalink/2014/10/29/ascap-bmi-sesac-force-local-coffee-shop-shut-live-music

http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/communications/ASCAP.html

Our ukulele group was offered an unpaid gig at a charitable fund raiser this summer but we're going to have to turn them down because we don't have the funds to register our playlist. We're stuck playing krud like "The Old Grey Goose is Dead".

This is a public domain music publisher's disclaimer:

http://www.pdinfo.com/public-domain-music-list.php

There is this disclaimer:
IMPORTANT: This list is based on USA Copyright Law and is intended only as a help in researching public domain music. This list is NOT sufficient documentation that music is in the Public Domain. To prove PD status in the USA, you MUST find a published copy of the song with a copyright date of 1922 or earlier. Our PD Sheet Music Reprints (http://www.pdinfo.com/what-is-sheet-music-reprint.php) are exact reprints of books and sheet music published in 1922 or earlier and include music, lyrics, and complete original copyright information. Some of these songs may not be PD in countries other than the USA.

And this page explains why one should purchase a copy of a reprint from them to PROVE that the version of the song lyrics is in the public domain.
http://www.pdinfo.com/what-is-sheet-music-reprint.php

DATo
03-11-2015, 03:11 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgVqX0a49HM

NiftyNev
03-11-2015, 03:44 AM
Bottom line is she is very, very talented. Hope she does not tire of doing this. I've always want to be able to play the guitar, but now I don't. Rather watch her and others like her, than make horrible noises. LOL. I'm too old to lean now anyway.

J Tiers
03-11-2015, 07:53 AM
Bottom line is she is very, very talented. Hope she does not tire of doing this. I've always want to be able to play the guitar, but now I don't.

Hah... try working in a company where there are a dozen folks that good, and a lot more who are just very good players.... Kills your desire to play really really fast.... knowing you are just not gonna get anywhere near that good in the time you have, because they are 25 and have been playing for almost 20 years....

garagemark
03-11-2015, 11:14 AM
She has an amazing talent. But she may truly burn out if one or two things happen:

1. She does it for a living. Sometimes the things we do for hobbies or fun turn out to be drudgery when we are "forced" to do them for a living. I had a nephew who was a world class fisherman; went fishing almost every day. Began entering tournaments, got sponsors who bought him fast boats, shiny trucks, and the latest fishing gear. He lasted a couple of years; he doesn't fish at all now.

2. She becomes exploited by the music industry. This happens more often than one might think. Fame has a way of twisting the mind. The suicide rate among high visibility performers is astounding. And if that doesn’t get you, drugs and alcohol might.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Musicians_who_committed_suicide

I hope she continues to simply have fun with it. But if she ever goes for making money with her talents, she makes well informed decisions and/or can lean on someone to keep her going in the right direction.