PDA

View Full Version : Way OT my tractor

duckman
03-09-2015, 06:46 PM
I hope I haven't jinxed myself, today I converted my Kubota back to a TLB (tractor, back hoe, loader) took off the 48" snow blower, so I could use the loader to knock down some of the snow banks that the town lovingly put in my line of sight when leaving my driveway, then went to my neighbor and did the same thing at her house she doesn't drive but I do and take her places when she needs to go somewhere (legally blind) she's a good neighbor can't see for s**t but she can cook. But we've already had about 40" of snow.

Jon Heron
03-09-2015, 07:11 PM
I hear ya!
I put my syrup buckets out last Wednesday when it hit a balmy 0c, I was being overly optimistic though as it dropped to -24c that night... Doh!
Today though I saw a drop of syrup on at least one spile! I think things are looking up! It hit 5c!! I thought I was in Jamaica! :cool:
Cheers,
Jon

adatesman
03-09-2015, 07:21 PM
Maple flow started here in PA yesterday and I pulled in ~20 gallons from 27 taps. Have another dozen or so at a friend's place (including some on black walnut), but haven't heard if he's gotten much yet. For requisite shop content I'm 75% through building the new evaporator and will post pics when it's done. :)

PixMan
03-09-2015, 07:34 PM
Yeah, I'm just a few miles south of duckman and we got walled in pretty good this year. Both my snowblowers, a 2005 Husqvarna 10530 SBE and the 1998 Brute 10HP 29" gave up late in the season. The Husky was still usable, I just got tired of fixing it for an hour for every hour of use. The other picked up a piece of broken asphalt, stopped the auger with a bang, broke weld on the auger and blew apart the auger housing. The shear bolts are still in perfect condition.

So I decided to put an end to the season and bought the last new Ariens within 50 miles with a decent sized motor, a Deluxe 28+ with the 414cc LCT motor. A week later when the Brute failed I hit Craigslist and found a mint condition 2013 Ariens Platinum 30 with the same motor. Since I bought them, only two "dustings" of 6 and 10 inches.

It hit 44F today, so finally can seen pavement in a lot of places. I hope my purchases and duckman's shedding of the attachment effectively kills the season. It's been a record dumping here near the city.

Puckdropper
03-10-2015, 04:50 AM
I hope I haven't jinxed myself, today I converted my Kubota back to a TLB (tractor, back hoe, loader) took off the 48" snow blower, so I could use the loader to knock down some of the snow banks that the town lovingly put in my line of sight when leaving my driveway, then went to my neighbor and did the same thing at her house she doesn't drive but I do and take her places when she needs to go somewhere (legally blind) she's a good neighbor can't see for s**t but she can cook. But we've already had about 40" of snow.

No biggie... You can clear the drive with the FEL (front end loader) bucket. Take a piece of 1 1/4 or 1 1/2" PVC, cut a slit in it (I use a table saw with good push stick) so it clamps on the front of the bucket and use the loader in "float" mode. I take a pass down each side of the drive, and keep making passes until the drive is clear. With a blade you'd start in the middle, but with a bucket I think going down each side works better.

vpt
03-10-2015, 07:16 AM
Maple flow started here in PA yesterday and I pulled in ~20 gallons from 27 taps. Have another dozen or so at a friend's place (including some on black walnut), but haven't heard if he's gotten much yet. For requisite shop content I'm 75% through building the new evaporator and will post pics when it's done. :)

Black walnut trees give off syrup? I would think they are pretty "dry" trees?

Two days ago I took my kids around the field on the snowmobile for one last time. Yesterday the snow we were riding on is almost all gone now.

adatesman
03-10-2015, 08:36 AM
Black walnut trees give off syrup? I would think they are pretty "dry" trees?

Apparently they do, with sugar content ~2%. Only found out about it recently, so this is my first time trying it. Apparently butternut and sycamore work too.

Jon Heron
03-10-2015, 04:16 PM
As do birch apparently too.
I read that they make syrup in Alaska exclusively out of birch sap as there are no maples?
Cheers,
Jon

adatesman
03-10-2015, 05:34 PM
Yup, far more birch up there than maple. Less sugar content, so takes twice the amount of sap to make an equal amount of syrup (in case you were wondering why it's so expensive).

I've heard of Big Leaf Maple being done on a hobby level in Washington, but not commercially. Likely due to the climate being so mild and resulting in a very, very short flow.

Fasttrack
03-10-2015, 06:31 PM
Apparently they do, with sugar content ~2%. Only found out about it recently, so this is my first time trying it. Apparently butternut and sycamore work too.

It's delicious. I'm jealous. :)

(The black walnut syrup, that is... not sure about sycamore or butternut...)

vpt
03-10-2015, 08:00 PM
Butternut just sounds delicious!

adatesman
03-10-2015, 08:43 PM
It's delicious. I'm jealous. :)

(The black walnut syrup, that is... not sure about sycamore or butternut...)

Is it? Good news. We had a bunch more trees to tap, but not knowing how it tastes we stopped at 5 (others were across the stream and a PITA to get to). Also, sycamore apparently has a butterscotch flavor. Wish I had access to some... :(

Stepside
03-10-2015, 09:13 PM
We did big leafed Maple in Bellevue Washington. Boiled it down on the kitchen wood stove. Pretty well removed all the wallpaper in the house. I was the "lucky bum" that got to split all the wood. Once was enough.